Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

is there an easy way to give pills?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by charlierosie, Jul 29, 2009.

1. charlierosie

charlierosie PetForums Newbie

Charlie, my moggy boy, was diagnosed last week with an over-active thyroid which has caused HCM. He's on diuretic tablets (quarter tablet) twice a day and has to take 1 thyroid tablet once a day - its Vidalta he's on. He's also to get a quarter aspirin 3 times a week incase of blood clots.
    We have no problems with the diuretic or aspirin as they are small enough to hide in a bit of a prawn and he doesn't notice them.
    The Vidalta ones are bigger and he is becoming wise to them being hidden in prawns and spits them out and eats the prawn. They can't be crushed or split as they're slow release.
    The vet has said not to get him stressed out, but the only way to get him taking the thyroid tablet today was to use a pill popper - he wasn't too fussed when we did that and it only took seconds. Probably better for him than getting prawn after prawn with hidden pills.

Does anyone have any hints or tricks for giving cats pills?

2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I have had the same problem for many years with one of our cats. That was until a friend of mine came over from France. Their vet showed them a way to give tablets and at first it seems rather harsh to hold your fur baby like this but I trusted my friend to do this to mine and it worked.
    This takes two people. the first person takes the cat by the loose skin at the back of the neck, just like how a mother cat does when she picks her baby up. Holding the cat in the air with the other hand supporting the cats bottom.
    You will find the cat does not struggle. Also the cat did not seem stressed at all. The legs stay limp and the other person then can open the mouth and then pop the tablet as far back in the mouth as poss then stroke the throat carefully.( holding the mouth closed while you are stroking the throat.) You should notice her swallow then.
    We did this everyday for 3 weeks and our vet was quite impressed as he knows what a problem we have had in the past.
    He now call it the french way.
    Hope this helps

3. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

Lol...at the French way! :D Ingenious!

I have just successfully managed to give my cat a pill that I coated in a little butter, quickly flicked to back of throat, held mouth closed and stroked her throat until I saw that she had swallowed.

Before that I had tried without the butter and ended up giving up and buying a spot on wormer instead of tablet. I was more cunning and determined this time. lol:)

4. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

5. Winchester

Winchester PetForums Member

Like the post above said, you can try wrapping the pill in the cats favorite food. I used to stuff the pills into little pieces of chicken and gave that to my cat. She ate it not even knowing the pill was in there :)

6. tinamary

tinamary PetForums VIP

Sit on sofa. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your elbow as though you were going to give a bottle to a baby. Talk softly to it.

With right hand, position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. (be patient) As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow. Drop pill into mouth. Let go of cat, noticing the direction it runs.

Pick the pill up off the floor and go get the cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process. Sit on floor in kitchen, wrap arm around cat as before, drop pill in mouth. Let go of cat, noticing the direction it runs.

Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away. Scoot across floor to pick up pill, and go find the cat. Bring it back into the kitchen. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten. Drop pill into mouth.

Pry claws from back legs out of your arm. Go get the cat, pick up half-dissolved pill from floor and drop it into garbage can.

Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of closet. Call spouse from backyard. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

Retrieve cat from curtain rod, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered Doulton figures from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

Get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with rubber band.

Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

Call fire department to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take another pill from foil wrap.

Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed, force cat's mouth open with small spanner. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour one cup of water down throat to wash pill down.

Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call at furniture shop on way home to order new table.

Get last pill from bottle. Go into bathroom and get a fluffy towel. Stay in the bathroom with the cat, and close the door.

Sit on bathroom floor, wrap towel around kitty, leaving only his head exposed. Cradle kitty in the crook of your arm, and pick up pill off of counter.

Retrieve cat from top of shower door (you didn't know that cats can jump 5 feet straight up in the air, did you?), and wrap towel around it a little tighter, making sure its paws can't come out this time. With fingers at either side of its jaw, pry it open and pop pill into mouth. Quickly close mouth (his, not yours).

Sit on floor with cat in your lap, stroking it under the chin and talking gently to it for at least a half hour, while the pill dissolves.

Unwrap towel, open bathroom door. Wash off scratches in warm soapy water, comb your hair, and go find something to occupy your time for 7-1/2 hours.

Arrange for SPCA to get cat and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

7. Kat28

Kat28 PetForums VIP

My old cat was diagnosed with thyroid problems last week and she has to have 2 tabs a day. She is a nightmare and wont take tablets but i have managed to get her to take them so far by wrapping them up in a bit of raw meat.

8. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I had to this yesterday. It was not fun for or the kitten!

I wrapped her in a towel with her claws well inside the towel, lay her down on her back on the ironing board (this is not advised anywhere but I was desperate) with my right hand I gently pushed each side of her mouth to open it, popped the pill in, shut her mouth and stroked her throat area to make her swallow!

The result was a very unhappy kitten who spat and hissed at me with her mouth full of froth!

I may try the cheese next time. She likes cheese.

9. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

i have to give my marmalade a cystaid tablet everyday, i have found the easiest way is just to get hold of him, kneel behind him so he cant back away, then while gently lifting his head up prise his mouth open n stuff the tablet as far down his throat as poss, if the tablet is far enough down he always swallows it, it takes a bit of practice but it usualy works :)

good luck

when i had to give menace the kitten his tablets, i used to wait until he was a bit sleepy and lying on my knee, then i'd roll him onto his back and rub his tummy and throat( the surprise method lol) then while he was half asleep i'd pop his tablet in his mouth, by the time the tablet was in and almost gone he would wake up and swallow lol done

#9 nanamoo, Jul 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  10. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

Giving Esmerelda a tablet was something reminicent of Tinamary's post! I didn't realise cats could spit that far! OH and I were in the middle of trying to worm her once when someone came to the door. Loud meows were heard down the street followed by screams and expletives as she made it known she didn't want a tablet thank you! The person left pretty quickly!
    More recently she has had to have antibiotics twice a day for five days after an operation to remove a tumour between her shoulders so it was awkward to hold her so we had to be more inventive. She managed to chew all the chicken leaving a small section containing the tablet, licked all the butter off again leaving the tablet, spit it out 3 yards away and so on. Eventually I crushed it up and mixed it in with the jelly from the cat food and I refused to feed her any more until it all went! Had to make note to remove other cats food first next time though! I don't think she likes tablets! :D

Good luck :D:D

11. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

I crush up the tablet and rub it on Ether chicken skin or a bit of chicken..:D

I do it withy my dogs to

12. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Sometimes the pills are so big I have to cut them up so I can hide them in food, being a slow release pill I shouldnt think it would make a difference, did the vet tell you not to cut them up?

13. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Some pills definitely shouldn't be crushed. If you need to crush them you should check with the vet that is OK to do so first.

Capsules are the worst to give, as they stick to whatever wet they come in contact with first and make swallowing them hard for the cat. If you coat them in butter it stops that happening.

Any pill given dry should be followed with a few mls of water via a syringe to make sure the pill doesn't get stuck.

14. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Hi! One of my cats is currently on medication & has to take half a tablet twice a day :( The only good thing about this (apart from keeping her well) is that they are really small tablets to start with, so half a tablet is tiny. However, Saffy is a remarkably unsociable cat, so getting anything down her is a challenge. I started by crushing them & putting them in some wet food - ignored! I then hid it in a bit of wet food on my finger & after about half an hour a time, she licked it off my finger, probably to get rid of me, lol :D Then she refused to take them at all. Saffy loves cream, so I bought a pot of clotted cream 'cos it's thick & success - max 5 mins a tablet at the moment! That's certainly working for hers at the moment. If the capsule your cat has to take has a slow release effect, it's probably the meds inside the capsule that release slowly rather than the actual capsule. Check with your vet, but you should be able to open the capsule & sprinkle the contents in something your cat likes - maybe the clotted cream if your cat likes it too? Good luck - I really appreciate how difficult & worrying it is when you can't get them to take their meds. :eek:hmy:

15. charlierosie

charlierosie PetForums Newbie

thanks everyone. Its a pill that he gets for his thyroid and it can't be crushed or split unfortunately. He did eat it last night though with some tinned tuna.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice