Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is there an app to discover where I can go with my dog? (e.g restaurants, hotels, etc.)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cristina Cruz, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Cristina Cruz

Cristina Cruz PetForums Newbie

I recently moved to a new city with my beautiful dog Roxie. I want to go places with her (like a restaurant) but very often, they reject her.

So was curious, is there an app to discover where I can go with my dog? (e.g restaurants, hotels, etc.)

Julian & Rex likes this.
  2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Assume no unless a yes is explicitly stated somewhere in their own advertising (Tripadvisor sometimes says, but I don't trust that unless backed up by themselves). Restaurants and hotels are especially unlikely compared to pubs and cafés.

Is there a reason you're wanting to take her everywhere with you? Perhaps instead work on home alone training?

Sairy, Julian & Rex and Cristina Cruz like this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I use a site and an app called doggiepubs - www.doggiepubs.org.uk

It isn't 100% reliable, some places that allow dogs aren't listed and of course policies can change but in the whole it isn't bad. They rate places not only on customer reviews but also on type of food - none, basic and a bit more special if that makes sense - a basic food place can still be great quality but if you are looking for something more like restaurant quality you can see where you can get that.

4. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

When we go to a new area we will look up pubs/restaurants nearby on trip advisor and put 'dog' in the search facility in the reviews, this usually gives a good idea of where is dog friendly.

5. Tyton

Tyton PetForums VIP

If you have moved to a new area, ie not just a brief visit, there are often local community groups on Facebook and the like that are a mine of information re good places to take dogs (and other local info too)

6. Winniethepoodle

Winniethepoodle PetForums Member

I think shops and restaurants etc need to rethink their no doggy policies now that businesses are going down the pan with all these lock downs. So many people with dogs now and willing to spend money but often can't go with a dog. If they are going to turn us away then they are doing themselves no favours.

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I do not mind dogs in pubs and cafes but if I go to a restaurant I do not want good clothes covered in dog hair and have to listen to dogs barking and being told to lie down etc. I would be very surprised if many , if any, restaurants would allow dogs in. Why would you want your dog in a restaurant anyway.

8. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I dont take mine to restaurants during the evening but daytime it is so handy to be able to take dogs in as part of a walk.

In my experience, the dogs that are taken into cafes are very well behaved and tuck in quietly under the table or close to it. The places that accept dogs round my way appear very clean and certainly no dog hair noticable and they all have codes of conduct about max numbers of dogs in and also to pls leave if your dog will not tuck in nicely.

It really does work so well. I think perth is supposed to be the most dog friendly place in scotland (or maybe they are just aiming to be, im not sure)

All the places accepting dogs before the pandemic still are. I have honestly had more cafe experiences spoiled due to unruly kids than dogs. And i do love kids so i am pretty tolerant.

9. Winniethepoodle

Winniethepoodle PetForums Member

Not so much posh fancy restaurants but there are plenty of high street casual restaurants that I would like to be able to go into if my dog is well behaved and trained. If I was visiting a new town I would like to think I can stop to eat lunch or dinner and not have to be rejected because I have a dog. I think more shops could let dogs in though. You don't spend as much time in a shop and some only a few minutes so I don't see why they can't let us in. Obviously the dog would need to be under control.

Julian & Rex and tabelmabel like this.
  10. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I'm with @Blitz . I don't think I've ever been in a restaurant that allows dogs (other than obviously working assistance dogs) - plenty of cafes and pubs, but not restaurants! I really don't think of them as dog places.

11. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

The restaurant at the country park built a dog friendly cafe that serves the same food and has table service. It is so popular that they are building another one with 150 seats and it will even have a dog shower. D4555C05-3E14-4329-8DB3-E46165C89640.jpeg

12. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Yes, casual restaurants round us are dog friendly and it's great. Not really posh restaurants but the kind that do pizza, burgers, steaks and such do take dogs.

Maybe because we are in a rural location, it really is very normal to take your dog everywhere with you.

13. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

You're south yorks arent you @Jobeth ? You'll need to let me know where that restaurant is for our next trip down. Your last recommendations were great:)

14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I dont know hardly anyone that takes their dog with them to the pub or cafe and certainly not a restaurant. Never seen dogs except in the odd cafe. Any I have asked at I have been firmly told dogs are not allowed. I know one of our local pubs that lets dogs in but the only ones I have seen in there have been a right pain begging for food and getting in the way. We used to always take our dogs shopping and into pubs but it does not seem the thing to do at all nowadays which is a shame. Too many bad mannered dogs I suppose.

Julian & Rex and Lurcherlad like this.
  15. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Maybe not where you live but i can assure you it is very common where i am.

This really isnt the case here either - maybe because dogs are used to going into these places regularly. They are all really polite 20190524_125224.jpg

20190524_125224.jpg

Till was taking a bit of a liberty with space here (cafe, not restaurant) 20190524_121620.jpg

Dogs even are welcome in the library on fridays!

16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I must say the couple of holidays I have had in Perthshire I have found more dog friendly places. Nairn has a couple of cafes you can take dogs but the nicer ones do not allow them and in Orkney it is very rare to find somewhere they are welcome.

Cristina Cruz and tabelmabel like this.
  17. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Most places around here have outside seating, and dogs are usually welcome to sit outside.
    However, my idea of an unobtrusive dog doesn't seem to coincide with what others consider unobtrusive.

When we were in a very dog friendly town last weekend, we sat at a table outside and a man with 4 dogs with questionable leash manners sat at a table a good bit away from us, his dogs periodically barking at other dogs, passers by, the air... It wasn't constant, but enough that it wasn't exactly pleasant either.

I've also seen people let their dogs sit in their laps and put their front feet on the table or lick plates. I mean, I know the restaurant is going to clean the plates in the deep cleaner steam thing all restaurants use, but still, that's not okay IMO.
    Penny did sit on my lap but no way was she touching my food, and no way would I let her put her feet on the table either.

I get wanting to take your dog with you, but not all dogs are ready yet to go out in public like that.

18. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

That’s good to know! I can’t remember what I recommended though. That one is at Cannon Hall. The garden centre is dog friendly and the desserts there are delicious. They did have an area inside for dogs but it is closed at the moment. There is shelter if it rains though. They are going to start boat trips next year and 4 million pounds has been spent on the park. The house is free to go around but you can’t take dogs inside. The other places with dog friendly cafes and nice walks in the area are Pot House Hamlet, Langsett reservoir, Worsborough mill, Elsecar heritage centre and Cusworth hall (you need someone to order for you there). Newmillerdam has a dog friendly pub across the road. I’d avoid Pugney’s as they often have problems with algae in the lake. If you don’t mind eating outside then there is Wentworth woodhouse, Wentworth castle gardens and the sculpture park.

Julian & Rex and Cristina Cruz like this.
  19. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Oh yes i know cannon hall well. The pot place and cusworth hall were 2 places we went to from your recommendations. Thanks for those, loved them!

Sculpture park i know well too. Pugneys we have been to just once - that was the last place that tilly was totally reliable off lead. She was brilliant there.

The very next day she got her nose on something and my life has never been quite the same since lol!

Worsborough mill i havent been to for years - must go again!

That pub near newmillar dam is lovely .

We need to try wentworth castle next time then!

I grew up not too far from the area ( saddleworth) and my aunt always lived near barnsley so i used to go to the sculpture park and worsborough mill as a child (50 years ago lol)

The sculpture park was free parking in those days - nothing like how it is now.

I used to take my eldest daughter to cannon farm and she is 27 now. That is another place that started small and now it is huge!

20. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

That explains why you know it so well. The walled garden at cannon hall is different now. Unfortunately they can’t open the ice house they recently renovated and the new dog cafe should have been open by now. The farm is on television but I’ve not watched the program.

The sculpture park is per person at the moment and you can no longer get in for free if you walk there.

The building by the lake at Newmillerdam has been converted into a cafe. I’ve not been but my sister said it was lovely.

Wentworth castle gardens is now National Trust. Dogs have to stay on a short lead and they lend people a lead if they bring a flexi. Both the gardens and deer park are lovely to walk around.

Have you been to Elsecar? It is one of the few places you can park for free. The cafe in the park is dog friendly and so is the one near the entrance. You can walk around the reservoir, along the canal or into the woods.

My dogs go to the groomers at the Pot House. His grandad bought the land and they even own a quarry. The restaurant is nice there and you can go for some lovely walks where you hardly see anyone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice