Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Is there a law on how many dogs you can walk at one time?

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by fitz, Feb 4, 2018.

1. fitz

fitz PetForums Newbie

I am hoping to start a dog walking business in Cambridge and at research stage. By law how many dogs can you take out at one time? also do I need a licence from the local council?
    I appreciate any advice.

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

It's no more than 6 for most insurances to be valid. And in some places they have restrictions on the number of dogs to be walked by one person. But honestly I've yet to see any dog walker with 6 charges have any control over them so that wouldn't be a route I would go down personally.

Sproglet, lorilu, fitz and 1 other person like this.
  3. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

It's a pretty flooded market for dog walkers in and around Cambridge tbh.
    You don't need a licence to walk dogs (you will need insurance), you only need one to board dogs.

Do you have qualifications and a usp to set you apart from the rest?

Sproglet and fitz like this.
  4. fitz

fitz PetForums Newbie

Yes i have researched that and seen dog walking businesses popping up everywhere however I am keeping positive. I am in the early stages of prep and did a Dog Walking/sitting course and Pet first aid/ cpr course. Any further advice gratefully received.

Seonag likes this.
  5. Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones PetForums Member

I only walk one dog at a time. They get far more individual attention, like throwing balls for them etc, fetch games. They wouldn't get that if they were in a group of 6 - 7. I also get the opportunity to take lots of individual photo's of the dogs out on their walks and their owners enjoy seeing them.

fitz likes this.
  6. fitz

fitz PetForums Newbie

I totally agree and I aim to do so. If i do get this up and running it wont be my main job so wont be needing a large client list, but have 3 people who have said will use my service and just want to make sure what i do its all legal. Who knows it may develop in the future

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have met my first dog walkers when out with my dogs on holiday. They both had more than 6 dogs and in both cases my dogs were mobbed by one or two of their charges.

8. Seonag

Seonag PetForums Junior

How many walks do you do a day?
    I worked out that I need to walk 6 to 7 dogs a day charging £10 for an hours walk (which is the average price for this area) to cover all my bills.

9. Darrell Jones

Between 4 - 6. Sometimes I walk the one dog 3 times as day :)

10. Seonag

Seonag PetForums Junior

No law but most insurance company state no more than 6 although some say 8.

11. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Walkers around here charge £12-15 for an hours solo walk (South East)

12. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

We had a dog walker near where I used to live who walked 5 at a time and they were a menace! So whatever the legal number, it's more important to make sure you can control them. I've been nearly knocked over, covered in muddy paw prints and Bonnie has been bitten and knocked down by this mob!

13. Vicky Smith

Vicky Smith PetForums Newbie

Hi, there is a City and Guilds course on dog walking that I did last year through the Pet Industry federation (as a member I also het me insurance cheaper through them) - I would highly recommend it before starting up.

fitz likes this.
  14. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums Senior

Am I a bit 'precious'??

I would never in a million years let my dog be walked with even two others. It only takes one of those dogs to be having an off day, or take offence at something one of the others does, and a scrap could start...worse case scenario, I know, but what would YOU do to sort out three fighting dogs that you have on leads?

15. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums Senior

I should add that I have actually seen 'worst case scenario'. One of my friends dogs died from injuries received from the other dog it was being walked with.

16. Darrell Jones

I was actually walking my own dog on Sunday when I stopped to chat with a lady who had two small pugs off the lead. Suddenly the two pugs attacked my dog, which is the size of a setter. It was awful, I had to jump in and pull them off. They were going for my dog's throat. My dog is very calm and did nothing to provoke these two pugs. The owner of the pugs then tried to brush it off my saying..'Oh I know what it is, they don't like larger dogs off the lead'. !!! I pointed out that she had two dangerous dogs not on the lead. This incident has put me off ever walking more than one at at time.

17. fitz

fitz PetForums Newbie

Hi All i am adding to this conversation as i cant figure out how to start a new conversation...
    Any links to a sample dog walking contract would be gratefully received.
    Many thanks in advance

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice