Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is there a dog behaviour you have never experienced?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kare, May 5, 2016.

1. kare

kare PetForums VIP

Just for fun the thread by Muttly has triggered me to think on this

You get lots of different people here and obviously far more different dogs as a result there will be things people say that I just cannot imagine my dogs doing.
    I am not talking picking on the negative aspects of other members dogs, lets leave that out but ...

For example
    * I hear others saying their dogs don't follow them because they are asleep
    This is completely alien to me, I so much as think about moving a bum cheek and both my dogs eyes shoot open

I have tried creeping slowly slowly off the sofa...but nope they are awake!

* I would have said the idea of a dog staying in the garden without me was an alien concept as I had never experienced it,
    but Little one can do it, it is rarely long, but it happens for a few mins after a wee that she finds other things to investigate.
    Big one has got better too about going in the garden to where she can't see us but is straight out and back and you absolutely could not shut the door!
    With the GSD we had she could not be in the garden without maintaining eye contact!

* My brother in law and his wife could not imagine that we could eat takeaway sat on the sofa with our dogs in the room. Their beagles would have gone for the food...and possibly gone for them and us to get it

LinznMilly, Team_Trouble and Muttly like this.
  2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Breez plans things out in her head. It’s really fascinating to watch. Like yesterday, Bates had an antler shed they have been taking turns gnawing on. Breez wanted the antler shed, but knows the rules of “if I have it it’s mine” in dogdom so sure wasn’t about to step in and take it.
    She watched him from afar and I could tell she wanted it. She looked around, you could almost see the wheels turning. Then she jumped up and barked at something outside (there was nothing outside, she was faking), but it worked, because Bates jumped up to look out the window and see what she was barking at. Sure enough, as soon as Bates jumped up and abandoned the antler shed, she moved quickly and grabbed it. Totally planned out and thought through. I love watching dogs do things like this :)

fernlady, LinznMilly, LoopyL and 18 others like this.
  3. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

In my own dogs, stealing food off my plate/out of my hands. If I had a dog who even tried it they'd find themselves out of the room so damn fast they wouldn't know what had hit them. I HATE begging never mind actually stealing!

LinznMilly, Blitz, Muttly and 2 others like this.
  4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Inappropriate chewing.

Three dogs - still never had anything, other than a stuffed toy, wrecked.

VickynHolly, Muttly and kare like this.
  5. Aahlly

Aahlly PetForums VIP

Mine also never beg or steal food and yet my sister's spaniel is so bad for it she has to be shut out of the room while they eat. She'll swipe anything left unattended even for a second. My cats are another story though and are terrible thieves. I precooked some salmon yesterday evening and left it on the counter to cool but tightly wrapped in foil I thought to prevent the cats getting at it. But nope! Tinfoil shredded, salmon gone in about 10 minutes.

6. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Teddy is a total velcro dog. I've just got him used to the concept of waiting in the car just enough for me to walk agility courses at shows lol

Brilliant!

Yep Bonnie did that years ago, grabbed a pizza off my plate as I was going to eat it. She got it yanked out of her mouth and she never did it again.

kare likes this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jack uses similar tactics to fool me into getting out of bed so he can jump into my warm spot! :)

8. JenKyzer

JenKyzer PetForums VIP

I have a lady at work who says that her dogs wake her up at 4/5am everyday then also wake her up to get up anyway... To us, that's weird, unless they're bursting for the loo, they sleep as long as we sleep, OH has been known to sleep til after 12 & the dogs don't even bat an eyelid!

LinznMilly, Rott lover, kare and 2 others like this.
  9. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I've only had one that tried out counter surfing and swiped a sandwich and she got short shrift and never did it again, so that's not something I'm used to. From what others have written on the forum, it seems to be more prevalent amongst sighthounds.

I've often seen threads about dogs who don't like having a harness that is put over the head and have to make sure they get ones that the dog steps in to. Isla knows that going out means her harness goes on and stands poised almost shoving her head through the harness so that we can get going that half second quicker.

Like Kare, I can't creep away from Isla who, to all intents and purposes, has lapsed into a coma as she appears to be so deeply asleep. The merest movement and her eyes open to see what I'm up to.

Not experienced separation anxiety. All my dogs seem to have accepted that we go out and leave them from time to time and a couple of biscuits seems a fair swap for a bit of alone time.

I'm sure there will be other things that I can't remember that will crop up in this thread.

kare likes this.
  10. XemzX

XemzX PetForums VIP

Fussyness over food. I have yet to come across something Jonesy turns his nose up to. He will even get excited over worming tablets and just scoffs them down as though they are a treat!

Lurcherlad, Rott lover, kare and 3 others like this.
  11. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Oh yes, know what you mean. The only way you can tell if a Goldens seriously ill is that they are picky over food.

XemzX, Wiz201 and kare like this.
  12. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

Same here! My lot sleep until I sleep however once they hear I am up and about they do start getting excited and have a little shout. I can't imagine being woken up at that time every day I'd go out of my mind! I am up weekdays at 5am however I like to have a lie in on a weekend.

However having a lot of dogs, and having fostered dogs I've seen all sorts of behaviour. I've never had to deal with a human aggressive dog , other than resource guarding but that's different. Probably the one I've had to deal with the most is house training problems and SA

Rott lover and kare like this.
  13. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

My previous GSP used to do a similar thing. We had a big male rottie at the time and the GSP worked out he didn't much like the noise made by those wooden ornaments I have next to the fire so if he wanted to get in the spot the rottie was in - usually on the dog bed in front of the patio doors in the sun he would go and poke the wooden cat making it rock on the tiles which always made the rottie jump up and leave the room. Same in the kitchen, rottie would sometimes be lying across the doorway and rather than try and go round or over him the GSP would just go and nudge something like a chair so it made a noise and hey presto rottie would move out of his way :) I miss watching his brain working out how to get what he wanted without confrontation. Colt my current GSP is so different, he will just barge on it and try and take it or in Indie's case jump over the top of her.

Mine are the same, they only ever get us up if they need the garden for a pee otherwise they sleep until we get up.

I'm trying to think of a behaviour we have not experienced (over the past 30 years not just with these 3) - we have had dog to dog aggression, dog to human aggression, destructive behaviour when left (or in Arthur's case when in the same room), noise phobia, fear of other dogs, resource guarding, high prey drive so the only thing I can think of is separation anxiety.

Rott lover, kare and ouesi like this.
  14. marasmum

marasmum PetForums Senior

If I include our fosters then I don't think there is anything we haven't had. However, Caspers reactivity is way beyond any dogs we have had before :( I honestly didn't think I could cope with this level of reactivity, but, as with most things, we adapt and move forward.

Oh, we haven't had massively destructive behaviour for a long time (touch wood :))

planete, MiffyMoo and kare like this.
  15. StrawberryBlonde

StrawberryBlonde PetForums Senior

Another one who's never experienced a fussy eater, nor have I owned a dog that doesn't eat all their meal in one go! I know of a few dogs that pick at their food over an hour or so but mine gobble it down in a minute!
    I also haven't experience destructiveness in adulthood or resource guarding.
    I am however guilty of owning an above mentioned spaniel which will eat anything that falls off the dinner table/kitchen counters :rolleyes:

cheekyscrip and kare like this.
  16. kare

kare PetForums VIP

Where as my Golden was heading to the point where she thought starving was a better option than having to chew raw

I seriously had her refuse to recall as a pup because I had Ham and she didn't fancy that! 100% honest, she was doing nothing, distracted by nothing, lying on the floor pretty much "Bored"...but would not get up and come back because there was No reason to, what I had was worthless.

Siskin and MiffyMoo like this.
  17. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

Before Muttly, food fussiness was alien to me! All our Retrievers were 'eat it first then figure out what it was after'

Begging for food/staring right at you when eating, I hate that!!!
    I can do this and he doesn't even look up:
    Good Boy.jpg
    (there's been a few negative Muttly threads by me, so I can boast about his good points :Smug )

Never experienced a destructive dog either.

Before all this stress we are in, if I slept on the sofa, he would only wake me up if I had snoozed my alarm or if he needed a wee, by licking my eye lol

Nice thread @kare :)

18. Team_Trouble

Team_Trouble PetForums VIP

I've only had two small dogs, Max was dog aggressive, but neither of them have really been human aggressive (though it certainly feels like it with Oliver and his finger chewing!). Never had issues with resource guarding. Max would eat anything but Oliver is more choosy.
    One unusual behaviour Oliver has (well possibly not unusual, but I've never heard of) is that he will frequently stand or sit still when on the lead until he is quite ready to go, and no amount of treat luring or excited voice will move him. When he IS ready, he suddenly bounds along and he's off. Until he stops again, or course. Anyone know why this is?? He's not stopping to sniff anything, doesn't seem fearful or anything, just sits or stands stock still.

19. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

When I first got Lola she would panic if I tried to put the harness on her. Now she thinks it's absolutely brilliant and can't contain her excitement - she knows that she has to stay in one spot so I can do it up, so she trots on the spot. It ridiculously cute, but still makes it pretty difficult to do up the clips

20. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Hilde is very good and distracting Hector and then nipping in and whipping whatever he had that she wanted, she will also make a pile of toys/antlers and lay on them as she doesn't like to share, but Hector is so dense that half the time he doesn't realise what has happened so goes and finds something else to occupy him.

Muttly, Matrod and MiffyMoo like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice