Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is there a DEFINITIVE list...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Merlin Birmingham, May 27, 2010.

1. Merlin Birmingham

Merlin Birmingham PetForums Senior

of rules anywhere? for this forum?

I have looked over the forum rules and they are very generic and open to interpretation.

Is there a list of the exact do's and dont's?

2. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

It might be easier to just give an example of something and ask, "Would this be against the rules, and if so, why?"

We could all debate it then and have a grand old time. Don't keep it all to yourself! ;)

3. Merlin Birmingham

Who gets the deciding vote against what is allowed and what isn't though?

do we need to start making a poll for every thread we want to submit lol because your sure as hell gunna offend somebody, somewhere along the lines!

4. Merlin Birmingham

Oh and just a sub note... If there is anything within this thread that any Moderator disagrees with can I please ask for you to delete the individual posts and not the whole thread, this way everybody can take advantage of knowing what the rules are!

Many thanks

5. bullet

bullet PetForums VIP

Yes! The rules are...................

1. All women can take the pee out of any male member without fear of being banned.

2. All male members keep your mouths shut and you wont get hurt:lol:

6. Merlin Birmingham

7. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Good boy you've been taking note. :thumbup:

8. bullet

bullet PetForums VIP

You think i'm joking, i'm sure i heard a few pf members names being mentioned by the Dr just as he pulled my tubes:scared: :cryin:

9. Merlin Birmingham

And going slightly back to topic, although inciteful and helpful that is still very generalist and says threads may be deleted if it is thought they may cause an argument, but nobody knows if something is going to cause an argument or not untill an argument happens.

I guess what I am really after is a list of topics that under no circumstances must be talked about!

10. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Why??? that is virtually impossible :rolleyes: Its mostly how WE as members react not the thread itself. We have all been over this time and time again at the end of the day the mods cannot please everyone ALL of the time thats just the way it is.

If u had a definitive list we probably wouldnt be able to speak at all! lol

11. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

to be honest hun i think anything could be open to be discussed, however anything can turn into a argument really

12. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Maybe a sticky at the top of general could be made with some basic bullet points on the headings from the FAQ, to remove some of the ambiguity of them?

Each heading with just a few bullet points, consise statements that are easy to read and refer to, and are black and white...

Headings from FAQ are:

Staff and Moderating
    Accounts
    Use of Language
    Harassment
    Libel and Slander
    Explicit Material
    Copyright Material
    Respect
    Private Messaging
    Account Suspension
    Account Removal
    Disputes and Concerns

Also, topics which are advised against and may be removed if deemed inappropriate (most likely to be around breeding (cross breeds and intentional breeding of un-tested parents), sale of pets etc)

#14 Savahl, May 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2010
  13. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

The problem with a definitive list is that it is never finished. As a country we're still making new laws to govern people after almost 2000 years!

I think to be honest, a general list or paragraph of guidelines is about the best anyone can hope for.

It's not the subject matter that will wreck a thread, it's the attitude of the posters contributing to it. For that reason, it's best just to walk the dog if you're feeling frustrated. Maybe that's a good rule to have?

14. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Being honest I dont think half of our members actually read them anyway, when I have pointed some in the direction of them they have actually told me they didnt know they existed, as for making them stickys not many people read those either

15. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Somedays just about everything will cause an argumen just depends who is on and posting on the thread, other times threads have been started which ime sure will last all of 2 minutes have run pretty smoothly so even with hard and fast rules you can never be sure.

Ime sure of one thing though sometimes you wouldnt believe this was an open forum

16. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Somedays just about everything will cause an argument just depends who is on and posting on the thread, other times threads have been started which ime sure will last all of 2 minutes have run pretty smoothly so even with hard and fast rules you can never be sure.

Ime sure of one thing though sometimes you wouldnt believe this was an open forum

17. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

That's probably a good suggestion.

The issue is though, that there will always be people who feel aggrieved if their thread is deleted or closed before they have a chance to reply.

I think it would be a good idea to set up a category/forum called "The Wilderness - A place for threads which don't belong" or something like that. Rather than delete threads entirely, the mods could move them to "The Wilderness" section. That way, the people on the thread still get a chance to continue replying to eachother and carrying on their conversation, albeit it in a seperate forum category.

It would stop all queries like this and others for good.

Sorry I can't be of more help Merlin.

18. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

i'll be honest i have never read any. I just go with the flow so to speak, I just accept if a mod deletes my thread then their must be a reason. I'd never be abusive as that wont get you anywhere anyway

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice