Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is sick pay off work government funded?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GoldenShadow, Apr 27, 2011.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

As in would the company you work for fund this, or would the government reimburse them?

Companies state maternity pay = they can't afford it but I'm pretty sure that is government funded..?!

Can anyone shed any light particularly on the first bit please :)

2. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

SSP is yes so is SMP if you get sick pay through work then it shlould be either 80% or 60% of your wage. You will have to check.

3. GoldenShadow

Brilliant thanks! Its for an economics assignment :rolleyes:

I'm trying to make the logic that there are less injections and more withdrawals causing a disequilibrium using the W/J approach if there are cuts to healthcare which may result in longer waiting lists causing people to need to take more or some sick leave, hence receiving sick pay which comes straight off tax payers money (if its the same as JSA and it seems like it is) hence the government get less injections but the person on sick pay will still be spending the same amount to live = same amount withdrawals. But because of this there will be a disequilibrium which will be fixed by x, y and z happening.

Its boring and and taking forever. Its a 25 mark question and I only have 375 words to answer it :cryin:

4. harley bear

I think ssp is 12% of a wage no about £12 a day on average i think. Just check on the government website for the actual figures because its been a while since i had SSP or SMP.

5. GoldenShadow

6. harley bear

Your welcome :)

7. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow Banned

SSP paid by your work while of sick is £81.60 per week.

The company you work for pays it to you while off sick, but the company can claim almost all of it back from a government department. So, yes SSP is classed as government funded/taxpayers pay for it.

Here's a link that may help you :):

Powered by Google Docs

8. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Isn't that only if the SSP payments made represent more than 10% of the equivalent NI contributions for the company at the year end though Sleepy?

I know it used to be like that and it almost crippled me when I first became an employer. :(

9. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow Banned

I know big companies claim the SSP they pay. Is it maybe small business that struggle to get a refund of SSP paid to employees?

I know that you MUST have the Fit Notes from the employee is order to claim the SSP back. Some employers who give SSP without having Fit Notes won't get a refund. :(

10. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow Banned

Ps. I am talking long term sickness up to 6 months, then it is paid direct from the DWP.

Classix, if its days here and there of sick (over 3 days at a time) not sure whether that can be claimed back.

11. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

It seems as if it hasn't moved on much at all. For small businesses it can be a real struggle getting anything back.

When they want to chase you for £58K VAT they have no problems finding you the right person or putting you through to the correct extension, but when you want to claim back a measly £500 it's like the magic roundabout LOL.

In the end I solved it by making everyone self-employed. ;)

12. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow Banned

I agree with you there, if a governemnt body wants money from you they will find you and get it ;) The other way round and they owe you, not so easy! :(

All the hairdressers that work for you are self-employed? Lol, that saves you even having to get involved with N.I and tax! Clever man! :D Though, do you find that puts off some hairdressers working for you?

13. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Not when I tell them they can buy as many scissors, hairdryers and rollers as they like and charge it to the taxman. :D One girl paid £20 tax for the entire year in the last accounting period. She's using the savings to buy her boyfriend a very special birthday present (can't say what it is as I think he's a member here ;) )

To be honest, I think PAYE should be changed so that employees can claim tax-deductibles too...but the government would never be that silly, would they? LOL

14. I don;t think you get paid for the first three days! but then I may be twenty year to late with my info! But there used to be a period called 'the waiting period' which was the first three days of any sick claim ! Of course - your employer may pay that himself!

15. GoldenShadow

Thanks guys interesting discussion :)

Instance I was referring to was a period of say 3 months onwards, as in if someone is on a waiting list for an op on the NHS say and has to wait a few weeks for it to be done and then has to have X amount of time off work after making it amount to longish time off.

A friend had a knee problem and was signed off work and was getting sick pay I was just unsure of where it came from but the fact its a benefit in the sense of JSA and coming from taxpayer's money before that goes to the government is what I was after, thanks :)

16. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow Banned

Yip, the 3 days waiting period is still in effect, hence why I put it in the brackets in my above post! ;)

17. ChatterPuss

ChatterPuss PetForums VIP

Statutory sick pay is a set figure - I think around £80 per week. it kicks in after 3 days. the employer pays it and then the cost is deducted of their tax bill so in effect get it paid back!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice