Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is she punishing me or just can't hold it ??

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Rachdavisking, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Rachdavisking

Rachdavisking PetForums Newbie

Hi all, I have a 6 month old Staffordshire bull terrier, and she is perfect is everywhere apart from he is still messing during the day whilst I am
    At work. I only work 2 days and it turns out to be a long time she is left alone. When I return there are several poo's and wee's. I pay no attention to the mess as I don't want her to feel bad. I have notice several times if I have forgotten something and return the kitchen where she stays that she has done a small wee by the door I close behind me. This makes me think she is upset with me for leaving her?? She tells me she needs to go out when I am home so is house trained it simply in my absence. I wondered if I should not feed her before I leave? Or try crate training ? But I am
    Worries about the latter option as it's a long time to be left in one? Please help me? Am I expecting too much too soon??

2. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

You say she is left a long time , then maybe she simply cant hold it that long , she's still a baby really (we need piccies :))
    How long is she left for ?

Could you ask a family member or friend to pop over midday and let her out or they could take her for a walk if you havent got a secure garden for her to go in

3. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

No dog knows the meaning of the words 'punish' or 'spite'. They are not spiteful animals so please know she is not getting back at you for anything.

Does she get a chance to empty her tank before you leave for work? And how long is she left for? Some dogs simply can't hold it for too long, and at 6 months, no pup is perfect.

Perhaps you need to create a new routine so that on the days you do go to work, she knows when she is expected to go, when she is expected to hold it, and this routine can run seamlessly through the week.

My dog gets his walk first thing in the morning then he gets his breakfast...he's pretty much good to go for the rest of the day, with maybe a wee or two, then he empties his tank again on his evening walk. Granted, he's 2 years old now, but we were in this routine from the get-go really, so I can't remember a time when he wasn't in this routine.

4. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

5. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

How long are you leaving her? By sounds of her peeing immediately after you leave I would think it's a form of separation anxiety yes. What is your ritual when you leave and come back? Do you give her lots of fuss just before you leave?

6. Rachdavisking

Thanks all for your quick responses, my routine is as follows... Wake at 6 and she goes out straight away and then has breakfast, she then has the run of the house and garden and play with children while I get ready for work, I let her out once more and wait until she does a wee then leave the house at 7.45 I then don't return home until 5 :-(, as soon as I'm home I let her out again and clean the mess, then we have cuddle time and play time before our run together, my little family of 4 love her so much and she is loving and we have no other trouble, she sometimes has eaten her poo, she is on science plan??
    Sorry for the in depth routine lol

7. Of course she is not punishing you - it is probably stress! some good advice above!:)
    DT

8. Rachdavisking

I will upload pics when I learn how ha ha,

9. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

She's being left way too long. Is there any way you'd be able to have someone come and visit her for an hour in the middle of the day to let her out to relieve herself and have a stretch? My mum usually leaves Oscar with my Granddad if we're going out for a full day without him.

10. Rachdavisking

I feared this was too long :-( the option to leave her with a family member will soon be available, unfortunately it's
    Not garunteed someone can pop in but i will have this set up for when possible. Thanks for your advice i will try this straight away, I just want her to be happy :)

11. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Awwwh sounds like you love her an awful lot. It's great when a dog is truly part of the family :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice