Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is She Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ScarlettLettie, Jul 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScarlettLettie

ScarlettLettie PetForums Newbie

Hi, I’m new here and just looking for some advice on one of my fur babies! :) So, my cat escaped (she’s an indoor cat) on the 2nd July and she came back on the 10th July. Since then she has not been in heat. She was not in heat when she left to my knowledge. This is the first time she had been outside also. She has put some weight on now but I’m not sure whether this could be baby weight or just that she was very skinny when she came back from being outside for over a week! Since she’s come back she’s been a lot less boisterous and seems calmer however she snaps at us if we try to touch her belly. I will attach some pictures of her belly and nipples, can someone tell me if you think she’s pregnant? I can’t afford to take her to the vets to have them check her over :( thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Orla

Orla PetForums Senior

How old is your cat? When were you planning on getting her spayed? If she is still very young, you might want to consider getting her spayed anyway and the pregnancy (if there is one) terminated. Even if she isn't too young, you won't know anything about the father of the kittens and any health issues he may have, so again, it would probably be wise to get her spayed and any possible pregnancy terminated.

sandy-cat likes this.
  3. ScarlettLettie

She’s around 12 months now. I was planning on getting her spayed eventually but I was looking to breed her myself before hand as I don’t agree with taking her right to have kittens away. She deserves to have the experience right? Anyway, I would not be comfortable with terminating her pregnancy unless I knew for sure it was for the best. Either way, I can not afford it. I’m just looking to find out whether she is pregnant or not, as I stated I cannot afford to take her to get checked over. Thanks for your comment.

4. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

You may be able to get vouchers for spaying from Cats Protection or a low cost/free one from Blue Cross.

sandy-cat, AmsMam and Orla like this.
  5. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Cats are not humans, they have no concept of "experience". There is a hightened risk of some disorders in females who have had kittens so it is better for her to be spayed than go through the dangers of giving birth. (Not all cats survive giving birth and often they give birth to dead or sickly kittens - especially when still young themselves).
    Also prior to be adopting her, my cat had kittens at about her age - I firmly believe she is still very small due to her giving nutrients to the kittens rather than building up her own body.

Edit to add: If you can't afford to get her spayed, you definitely can't afford to feed and medically care for kittens.

6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Cats no more have the right to procreate than humans do, and it sounds harsh but if you can't afford to get her checked over you really can't afford her to have a litter of kittens. If she needs a C-section the cost is far, far more than the cost of spaying her. I urge you to spay her asap, as in within the next 7 days. She really won't miss having kittens.

7. ScarlettLettie

Okay, but does anyone have any tips on actually knowing whether the cat is pregnant as that’s all I was after. Not a lecture. Still firmly believe it is not my place to choose wether another animal should be allowed to have offspring or not but I understand your points

8. Acidic Angel

Acidic Angel Your ego does not surpass your pets wellbeing

Anthropomorphising animals is what leads to issues.

If she escaped and may have come into heat while outside, I'd treat her as if she was pregnant and opt for a spay and termination personally.
    As mentioned, if you can't afford a spay you can't afford a litter of kittens. They're not cheap to raise correctly, if they're cheap to raise you're cutting corners which could be detrimental to their health.

ribbon, sandy-cat, Rufus15 and 6 others like this.
  9. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

I guess the thing is, cats don't choose to reproduce like humans. They just mate because that's what they 'do', there's no pre-conceived thought going into the process about whether they feel like they can raise kittens and things like that.

Anyway to your original question - perhaps your local vet offers a free nurse clinic? Mine does this for things like checking weight and I'm sure within the scope of that if I took a female kitty along they would be able to give me more of an educated idea as to whether such a cat may be pregnant.

sandy-cat and ScarlettLettie like this.
  10. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

Well the best place to get confirmation would be from a qualified professional in person.

Who's choice is it as to whether your cat can can have off spring? If she meets a tom cat it's not likely to be her choice as to what happen.

Hannah

ribbon likes this.
  11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

So, it isn't "your place" to make responsible, informed decisions in the best interests of an animal in your care?

Animals will breed because their instincts tell them to do so, not because they want the experience of parenthood.

Pregnancy is uncomfortable and exhausting, delivery is extremely painful and constantly feeding/cleaning kittens is very tiring.

Your young cat will suffer all of that, for no gain.

Rufus15, O2.0, chillminx and 5 others like this.
  12. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

If Lola could type she'd confirm what you've said. I did not breed from her but she came into the rescue with 3 kittens & 1 adolescent. She was underweight and have very poor condition fur in her tail (all grown back now).

H

13. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

It most certainly IS your place to do the best for any animals in your care, and in the case of cats that includes neutering before they reach puberty. Your cat cannot choose - she can't choose if she wants to undergo the risks of pregnancy, labour & lactation, the increasing risk of breast cancer, the risk of pymetra, or the risk of FIV/FeLV, or of sexual frustration.

It is also most certainly up to you to consider if you can afford your course of action. Cats mostly kitten successfully, but if she does become one of the ones that needs a section, or treatment for mastitis, all you will be able to do from what you say about not being able to afford a vet check is sign her and her kittens over to a charity. Charities are willing to help with neutering (usually means tested), but they will not help a pregnant female or one with kittens without them being signed over.

And since it seems you have no intention of getting her neutered - if you did you would have arranged it by now - why the great need to find out if she's pregnant? My guess is she is, and kittens will be due on or about 6th September.

14. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

@ScarlettLettie, some good, sound advice here but you don't appear receptive.
    How will you care for this little cat if you have no money for the vet ?
    The kittens will require litter, vaccinations and food until 14 weeks old. As already advised your cat could require emergency C-Section. She will gain absolutely nothing from having kittens.

#14 SusieRainbow, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  15. ScarlettLettie

Okay. A) I don’t agree with terminating her pregnancy B ) I don’t have the money to do so right now C) I will have the money to care for the kittens and my cat when I get paid next month.
    D) I believe it’s wrong to choose whether another animal should be able to have offspring or not as I said before.

I did not come here to be judged and told that my opinions are wrong. I came here for advice and so far only two people have been helpful with that.

I don’t understand why so many people out there feel the need to tell everyone else what they should or should not be doing.

16. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Because there is a helpless animal involved.

You may not like what you read here, but it's true.

If your cat is pregnant and you allow that to continue, then don't be in any doubt. You are not doing it for her good, you're doing it for yourself.

Acidic Angel, Rufus15, O2.0 and 4 others like this.
  17. ScarlettLettie

So you’re suggesting (if she is pregnant) I take her babies away from her? That’s like forcing your daughter to have an abortion. How is that okay to you? Again, I did not ask to be lectured. I asked for opinions on whether she’s pregnant or not.

18. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

You have not said you will have the money to care for your girl should there be complications which, surely, is an animal welfare issue and nothing to do with 'feelings' or other nebulous emotions. Those costs can escalate into hundreds and sometimes thousands of £s. Will you have that sort of money to spare?

You also said you asked here because you do not have the money to get her seen by a vet. People were only pointing out hard financial facts about the possible costs of this 'accidental' possible pregnancy which turns out to be a bit intentional after all.

19. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

20. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice