Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is she pregnant?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by dillydinah, Feb 13, 2008.

1. dillydinah

dillydinah PetForums Newbie

We recently rescued two kittens (1 male 1yr, 1 female 6mths) who were kept in appalling conditions. As soon as we got them, they were separated and he was castrated. She is booked in for next week. BUT she has started to eat like a horse, her tummy is slightly rounded and her nipples can be felt quite easily. Is she preggers? and if so how far gone does anyone think. A friend told me they won't spay a female that is pregnant, but isn't 6-7 months to early for a litter. :(

2. may

may PetForums VIP

I have a girl who has had two calls and she is still under 6 months:eek:
    So she could be pregnant, are her teats pink ? if so I would say she is :(

3. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

6-7 mths is not to early, but agree if teats are pink beyond doubt then looks like it's a yes, on the other hand she may just have worms-doubt it though, can't hazard a guess at how far she may be gone but think generally cats go for 9 wks and the size of her indicates not much really as some go huge and come with 1/2, some barely show and come with 6/7 so who knows?? Good luck dillydinah and let us know how she is:)

4. dillydinah

Thanks very much for your replies. Her teats are pink so I guess we have babies on the way. Poor little scrap.

5. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

She can be spayed when she is pregnant! Although it shouldn't be done if she's about to drop.

6. Esined

Esined PetForums VIP

just as a guide line the tummy get visable at around 5 weeks, hope that helps when calculating the birth day;)

7. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

normaly rescue cats have been done.so i would check with the people you gpt her from.

8. dillydinah

thanks for all your replies. She wasn't taken from a rescue centre so I know that she has not been done.

9. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

well you will soon know if she is having kittens, hope all goes well for you.
    liz

10. Babycat12

Babycat12 PetForums Junior

hi

my cat is 8 months old. she has been on heat 3 time before.
    she got out of the house on the day she was on heat!!! it has been 4 and a half weeks now she has a plump stomach and pink nipples.....

is she pregnant???

what ever yu think please reply. i really want to no.

what should i feed her if she is???

wright bak soon please!

11. Jem

Jem Guest

Well i would imagine so :rolleyes:

12. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

why didn't you spay her? yep prob pregnant and feed her kitten food, and also kitten food when she is nursing. cats are pregnant for 9 weeks.

13. xxSaffronxx

xxSaffronxx PetForums VIP

Sounds preggers to me!

14. Babycat12

She was booked in for next week to get her spayed.
    but i cant now until she has givin birth 2-3 weeks l8ter

15. helz

helz PetForums VIP

dillydinah and babycat12, yes you both sound to me like you have pregnant cats... oh dear... :)

Right first things first, pop them to your vets, they will confirm if they are pregnant, and be able to tell you if they are too far along to abort the pregnancy and spay the cat (if you want this done). They will also check them over to make sure everything is okay.

As a general guidline, there are no obvious signs that a cat is pregnant until they reach about week 3, this is when the nipples get much more pronounced and pink.
    From weeks 5/6 you can often see the belly start to become rounded. Of course this will depend on the size of the cat and the amount of kittens she is carrying.
    From weeks 7/8 may be able to feel the kittens moveing around inside if you rest your hand gently on her belly.
    In the last week (week 9) you may even be able to see the babies moving in her belly.

Under no circumstances prod or poke her belly to see if you can feel any babies, you do not know what damage you might be doing!

Give the cat plenty of food, kitten food is best, but do not worry if at times she goes off her food as this is normal. You may also find she becomes very affectionate and wants lots of love and cuddles, but on the other hand, she may have some mood swings and wonder off in a strop.

Do not let the cats outdoors now, until they are spayed. The can go back into heat (and get pregnant) almost imidiatly after having the kittens. It would be extremely bad for the cat to fall pregnant so quickly as she would not have regained her strength from the first litter.

Find something suitable for a nesting box (I used very a large wooden drawer), but a big box will do fine, it needs to be something mum can get in and out of easily, but the kittens wont be able to. Line it with soft bedding so mum gets used to sleeping in there... she may choose somewhere else to have her babies though, my cat insisted on my bed...:eek:

And finally, stick with this forum, there are many experienced breeders on here that will give you lots of advice for the pregnancy, the birth and the newborns... this is how I ended up here...;)

16. Babycat12

thank you so much helz.
    my cats previous owner was horrible. her cat "tiger" is on her 8th litter, she is only 2 herself!!!!.
    poor thing. my kitten/cat was 1 of the litters.
    thanks for the advice it is a 1st time 4 me having more that 1 cat aspecialy newborns...

thankx x

17. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

oh dear, poor tiger :(:mad:

18. KitCats

KitCats PetForums Junior

That really is terrible :( 8 litters, how anyone can do that to a cat I'll never know. It does sound like your cat is pregnant though, all the best and I think if anywhere will be able to help you with advice it will be here :) mel xx

19. Babycat12

Hi.
    i have confirmation from a vet that ma cat is pregnant, should i set up a birthing box now, it is 3 weeks and a half to go before the due date.
    or should i set up one on the last weeks?

it is my first litter as im only 13, lol.

please reply

lauren x

20. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Cats can get pregnant very early your vet will be able to conferm for you if you take her to be checked. Your vet will also tell you what is required for her general welfare and diet .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice