Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is she in season?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cookiesmum, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Cookiesmum

Cookiesmum PetForums Newbie

Hi
    Our 9 1/2 month old Lab bitch has been attracting alot of attention from Males over the last week. This morning she actually got mounted by a stud dog at the park and he was penetrating her for approx 1 minute before his owner pulled him off.
    I am now worried about the risk of pregnancy.
    There are no obvious signs of her being on heat, no discharge, swollen nipples or change of behaviour etc.
    The only thing she has been doing is dragging her bottom across the floor over the last couple of days and then sniffing it.
    Is that a sign of her coming into season?
    Any help by someone who has experience of this would be great.
    Thanks

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Take her to your vets and get the mismate jab just incase.

If you think shes in season, you need to keep her inside and with you at all times.

3. animallover111

Our 11month old bitch has just had her first season she showed no signs of been in season other than male dogs taking more of a interest in her!!
    Took her to the vets who told us she was in season we didnt take her out in public til she was properly out of season.Luckily no dogs had got near her.You def need to speak to your vet your bitch will need the mismate jab your really dont want your nine and a half month old pup having a litter!!
    good luck.

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I agree with Nonnie. Take her to the vets straight away. I assume you don't want a litter or you wouldn't be worried about her being pregnant.

Otherwise, keep her in your garden for exercise (keep a close eye on her!) and only take her out in the morning and at night. Try to avoid areas you know where dogs go.

5. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Sounds to me like a slip mating witch a bitch can become pregnant from, I would advise you get the mismate injection! But the Mismate will bring your bitch back into a full blown season! So you will have be extra careful the next time!

I have never heard of A dog dragging there bum on the floor from being in season! Or never seen it with any of our girlies :)

They are roughly in season for 3weeks But thats not to say she will be in longer than that on less than that!

6. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Dragging bums on floor when in season could be a lab thing. Many years ago our lab did it every time she was in season. :eek::eek:

7. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

We have a springer who has'nt had her first season yet she is 11 months old we saw the couple at the weekend that has her sister from the same litter and she has just come into season so we are expecting it very soon, she drags her bottom on the floor and sniffs it but she has done that for a while.

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

dragging bottoms on the ground is a sign that the anal glands need emptying. She wont have swollen nipples, you need to look at her vulva, it will be slightly or very swollen and there will be a discharge. If she is very clean or it is very light the only way to tell might be to get a bit of tissue and push it in a little way and see if it comes out stained (charming I know!)

9. Cookiesmum

Cookiesmum PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all your help on this.
    We took her to the vets yesterday afternoon who confirmed she is in season and the vet has advised us to have 2 injections just in case the male dog ejaculated inside her even a little.
    The thing that is worrying us now however is Pyometra (womb infection) which apparantly is more chance of happening if given these injections.
    Has anyone had any experience with this?
    What are the odds of her getting the infection against being pregnant?
    Help!!
    Feel torn and very upset that I might be putting her in danger.
    :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice