Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is she ill?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Malaguti, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Malaguti

Malaguti PetForums Senior

Hi all,

Not really looking for much of a response as there's nothing I can do now til morning. Just offloading really I guess :eek:

As some of you know, the neighbours cat smudge comes to see us most days. This morning she had some breakfast and then wandered into the bedroom (bold as brass lol) and settled down to sleep. She has a little basket as well that I put in the bedroom for her to use (she only uses it when extremely knackered)

Anyway, today she has literally spent the whole day in bed (9am onwards)
    Got in from an evening out with friends at 10.30pm and OH said she was still sleeping. Now usually she sleeps a few hours, eats a lot and then goes out again (throughout the day)

It's such a change from her usual routine that I got very worried about her. Offered a bowl of her favourite fresh chicken and tuna as well and she wasn't remotely interested. Now I felt I couldn't just leave her there asleep as I couldn't assess what might be the matter with her.

So, I picked her up from her basket and got the biggest angriest growl from her ever! She's never done that to me! She seemed a bit wobbly on her feet for a while (upstairs) and then ran downstairs and through the open back door before I could catch her.

Absolutely hissing it down with rain here now - have called her but no sign. I so hope that she isn't ill and I've set her loose outside.....:crying:

Feel really bad for getting her up now but you can't assess a cat properly when it's lying down looking drowsy, can you?

I know she's not my responsibility but it was too late to alert her owners by the time I got home.

Pls. keep your fingers crossed she's alright........thanks!

2. Kat28

Kat28 PetForums VIP

Hope you find her and she is ok

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Oh dear, I hope she came back :(

4. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

It does sound like there is something not right. If she comes back you could perhaps try to run your hands gently over her to see if you can feel any cuts or bumps (possibly a cat bite that has turned into an abscess) or check her paws and see if her claws are broken or scuffed which may indicate she has been clipped by a car.

I do hope she is okay and was perhaps just having an "off" day.

5. Malaguti

Thanks for your comments. Looks like she's done herself a mischieve where her tail is concerned.

It looks swollen at the base and she can't sit down (just squats)

Looks like another trip to the neighbours to alert them to her latest injury.

ChinaBlue likes this.
  6. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

aww bless her poor thing, i hope she is better soon, keep us posted,:)

7. WittyKitty

WittyKitty Guest

ohno! I hope it isn't anything too serious.

8. Malaguti

Same here! She's curled up upstairs at the min so she's able to lie down at least. Have shoved a very diplomatic (imo) note through the neighbour's door along the lines of 'im sure you're already aware of this but just in case' and have offered to bring her over in the carrier later.

I am such a nutter - keep worrying they're going to think it's me that keeps hurting her (especially after the paw incident)

I'll let you know what happens later - have told them that I've stopped 'stealing' their pet and got my own so hopefully they won't be as peed off with me as they were last time :)

9. WittyKitty

WittyKitty Guest

It sounds like this cat really needs you! Let them think what they want. You know the truth and that is all that matters.

10. Malaguti

Thank you! Was going to rep you but I get the 'spread it around' message - I'll have to put it on account :)

Izzie999 likes this.
  11. Malaguti

Well, the saga continues. Haven't heard a peep from her owners and I know they've been home since 5.

She's def. done something to her tail - it's v. swollen at the top and she can't move it at all. Bless her, everytime she tries to jump on something she slides back down as she doesn't have her tail for balance.

I am feeling so helpless and peed off now. If I'd had a note saying Tigger was injured I'd have been round to whoever left the note like a shot :mad:

Don't think Smudge has gone home either as she keeps coming back here every half hour or so, bless her, lying on the floor blinking her little eyes at me.

She's still eating and drinking so at least that's a good thing. I'm going to contact my vet in the morning, explain the situation and see if they will have a look at her without alerting the owners. Chances of that are very slim I reckon plus they probably won't give her any treatment without the owners consent or knowing her medical history?? I really don't mind paying for anything she needs so thought that might help in getting her seen???

What a blooming situation to leave your animal in!!! I really detest her owners right now :mad:

Have attached some piccies of her - as you can see the poor little tail is just hanging behind her limply :crying:

Attached Files:

12. JoWDC

JoWDC PetForums VIP

Poor Smudge - give her some strokes from me. Sounds like her actual owners are actually neglecting her now if they aren't coming round to pick her up :mad:.

Take her to the vets - explain the situation to them - i.e. neighbours cat, have told them where she is and that she's ill but they are not doing anything - & they should be sympathetic.

The main thing is for Smudge to get better.

But it sounds like you need to catnap her now properly for her own good (with your OH's permission of course).

13. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

If the owners are failing in getting medical treatment for the cats tail injury then it becomes a welfare issue and they could be reported for this by your vet.

14. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

I presume that you will pay the vet bill yourself so perhaps best to not get too involved with the vet regarding who owns her. They may refuse to treat her without the owners consent as it doesn't appear to be an emergency at the moment anyway, and where will you be then.

Vets are bound by confidentiality, so it would need to be a very serious cruelty case for them to report anyone, they have to get special permission from their registration body.
    RCVS Online / Veterinary Surgeons / 2A. Disclosure of information

It seems to me from what you say that you need to take this cat on fulltime as no-one else seems to give a monkey's about her. :(

15. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

All i can say is thank god smudge has you!!! some owners should not have cats if they cannot look after them.....hope smudge is ok and I hope you keep him....he has obviously chosen u with good reason xx:):)

16. Malaguti

But it sounds like you need to catnap her now properly for her own good (with your OH's permission of course).[/QUOTE]

No problem with the OH - think he loves her even more than I do.

I'd love to 'catnap' her properly but whichever way I look at it the issue remains that she is chipped and therefore registered to the neighbours.

Perhaps I should just say sod it - let them be phoned when I take her to the vets. It's smudges welfare that's important.

Well, thank you all again for your support in this - will let you know what the vet says in the morning.

17. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Poor Smudge :( Hope you get her sorted and she gets all the love she needs :)

18. Malaguti

I totally agree re. not going into detail too much with the vet. I have thought of taking her to a different local vet where I'm not registered and asking them to have a look at her. Thing is I'm going to be on tenterhooks in case they scan her and I will look really daft if they do.....

No easy answers to this one.......

19. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

You could take her to a different vet and feign ignorance - just say she had wandered to your door for a day or two and looked ill.

If her owners don't get any treatment for her I guess you could report them to RSPCA saying she is in pain and they haven't taken her to the vet?

20. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Good advice :)

Hope she is ok ............

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice