Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is she dying?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by wylde99, Jan 20, 2012.

1. wylde99

wylde99 PetForums Member

My female Rat Nut, who up to 2 weeks ago was a very active, cheaky little thing, Is now a completly different Rat.

She really used to be wide eyed and quick, now she's very soppy, slow and very clumsy.
    She takes food and can't hold on to It properly, she finds the most simple uphill walks a challengere In her Cage, I saw her ealier struggling to walk up the ramp to the next level.

Basically she Is very slow and not eating properly, there Is also what looks like black stains round her right eye, dunno what that's about.

She's only 20 months old, could she really be on her way out already?

2. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

I'd take her to the vets, she could have had a stroke, or she may be coming down with something else. Rats don't generally just start to die - they like to fight it every step of the way and it will be long, drawn out and painful if you just leave her to it. Please get her seen by your vet asap.

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

That sounds like how my Eddna went, it was a pituatory tumour, very fast growing (I dont think they usually are). She showed symptoms one day and I took her to the vets, I had to take her back within a week for the final journey :(. I hope it isnt though but she really needs a vet to check this out asap.

4. chrisd

chrisd PetForums VIP

As tdm says, from what I've read it does sound like a PT so get her to the vets. Hope little Nut is Ok.

5. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

It sounds like a PT to me too. Steroids will keep her comfortable, but they can't be cured.

6. wylde99

wylde99 PetForums Member

Thanks guys, she Is booked for Monday afternoon, I will post here after telling how It went.

7. wylde99

wylde99 PetForums Member

Just got an emergency appoitment with the Vet.
    Turns out she had a Stroke.
    She's been put down, best thing for her.
    Not sad, she had a good life, does anyone know what I can expect from her Sister Rexy, now she Is on her own?
    Shall I get more? If so, how long should I leave It?

8. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry to here that. RIP Nut.

This week one of my girls died leaving her cage mate alone. I have emailed anyone I know who could possibly loan me a rat for a while, and it payed off. I am getting a pair of does tomorrow morning. I rushed to get some as my last girl isn't the most social animal in the world, and she prefers the company of other rats.

9. wylde99

wylde99 PetForums Member

So u recomend getting 2 more?
    How long would you say leave It?
    Or shall I start the Introduction process ASAP?

10. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

I would get a pair so you're not left in the same position when Rexy goes to the bridge.

When I get my girls tomorrow I'm going to let them settle for a few hours then start intros. I know the girls I'm getting are going to be very well handled, social rats so I'm happy to do this. If I was getting unhandled/ nervous rats I would let them settle for a day or 2.

11. Superash

Superash PetForums VIP

. Aww so sorry R.I.P. little nut

12. wylde99

wylde99 PetForums Member

Can anyone tell me If getting 2 baby Rats, the Intro to my current female will be any easier now she Is on her own?
    Surley she will be itching for the company?

13. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

I just intro'd 2 adults (8 months and 16 months) to Fern (22 months). It was one of the easiest intro's I have ever done. I intro'd them in the bath first and left them there for an hour, put them in a carrier for a few hours then put them in a bare cage.

It'll depend on your girl's temperament. If she's a bit of a ttart like Fern is she'll be easy to intro to other rats.

#13 Snippet, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  14. wylde99

wylde99 PetForums Member

Well she was the dominent 1 out of her and her sister, and she's the more hyped up 1, she will only cuddle for a few seconds then she gets restless and wants to do her own thing, she's really on the ball compared to what her sister used to be.

She does already look a bit lonely tho, I feel really sorry for her so I'm giving her as much attention as I can.

Just hope an Intro goes as well as possible so she has some buddy's to cuddle up 2.

15. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Hopefully she'll love having some sisters :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice