Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is salmon skin safe?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Emmasian, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

Teddy, the rotten little thief, has whipped all the salmon skin left over from dinner (two cooked fillets worth) and devoured it with apparent relish before I could stop him. He even came looking for more.

Is it OK for them to eat the skin, or could it hurt him? Watching him rather worriedly, but he seems fine.

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

It shouldn't do any harm

Emmasian likes this.
  3. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

I'm sure he'll be OK, cats have been fed fish scraps for centuries, including heads & skins. At worst I'd think the scales (if not removed) might provide more roughage than usual & possibly some digestive upset as a result.

If you are concerned, perhaps keep a close eye on him for a day or so. :)

Emmasian likes this.
  4. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

That's true. I guess it's like eating the fur and bones of prey. If he was fishing the salmon out of a frozen lake or something, like I've heard legends of Maine Coons of yore doing, the whole fish would have been snaffled. I just panicked when I saw him crunching it up. He certainly enjoyed it and was beaming at me.

Babyshoes likes this.
  5. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

Einstein had a thick piece of fat off the edge of my pork steak on Thursday. I'd trimmed it off and left it on the plate, turned my back for a couple of seconds and he had it away and was thundering up the stairs to munch on it under the bed where I can't get at him.

He was none the worst for it however, other than sitting on the sofa licking his lips it a terrible smug way for about an hour afterwards...

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Emmasian - I am sure your cat will be fine. :) I often give my cats the skin when I have cooked fillets of salmon and they love it. :)

Emmasian likes this.
  7. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

Thanks for the reassurance guys. He's certainly showing no ill effects so perhaps I can just give it to him in future. I'm sure the fish oils are very good for them, I was just concerned about him digesting the scales and if they could hurt him.

@Erenya Teddy has also stolen the fat cut off a steak, and devoured it, growling with satisfaction, on top of a seven foot cat tree! Not to be encouraged as I don't want them having too much saturated fat!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice