Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is Rags a Dwarf Lop or not?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Zippstar, May 11, 2010.

1. Zippstar

Zippstar PetForums Member

Rags was sold to me by P@H as a dwarf lop. However, since coming on here more regularly plus owning Rory who was also a dwarf lop, i've been wondering whether she is actually a dwarf lop, or a moxed breed/different breed of bunny.

There's some below that show her at various ages - what do you guys think? She also has funny ears - one is ALWAYS down and can't seem to be able to lift up without help at all - once it's up, it flops straight back down again, and the other one sticks up at a silly half angle and doesn't seem to know where it wants to be. She can also move it independently - if she's annoyed, she flicks it at me :lol:!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 Zippstar, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Hmm, I wouldnt say she was a full dwarf lop personally, but she is definately a lop X if she isnt. She is gorgeous tho!
    I had a Lionhead X(Hop) who's ears were add odd angles :) Everyone on here knows him as the Jumper Wearing Bunny :)

*Heidi*

3. Zippstar

I'm fairly sure she's not a full dwarf lop....if you look at the pics of Rory below you'll probably see why after looking at him and then at her i started thinking, 'hmmm!'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. hazyreality

Yeh its the ears and the different shaped head that are making me think that shes not a full lop, maybe a Lionhead/Lop cos they dont always have manes and its a common cross.

I dunno if Rascal is a proper lop or not cos he was an RSPCA bun who was found as a stray! So no background, but I loves him! It'll be nice to get some that are actually what they are supposed to be!

*Heidi*

5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Perhaps a Mini Lop cross.... Although I have to say, even in pure-bred Dwarf Lops sometimes one comes along where the ears don't lop fully. Best indication is size and weight... how much does your weigh?

6. Zippstar

Judging from the photos of Rory would you say he was a dwarf lop? His history was of neglect before I got him, so i dont know if the old owners (loathe to call them that but there you go) were telling the truth...i think he was more of a dwarf lop than Rags is but i don't know enough to be certain!

I completely agree though, whatever Ragsy is i loves her to bits :D and the Rorster too...I miss my little grumbly man :(

Why was your bunny known for jumper wearing? Should i take that as a literal statement....:lol:?

7. Zippstar

She is the perfect rabbit weight according to the vet....however, the exact figure has temporarily escaped me. I'm pretty sure it was around 3.5-4 lb

8. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Mini Lops are about 3lb 6oz... Dwarf Lops are about 5lbs. She could easily be a cross between the two.... before the smaller lops were properly classified, I had Dwarf Lops and what were then known as "netherland dwarf lops" and a cross between the two often gave ones whose ears didn't go down properly, at the same weight as yours :)

9. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Id say shes a dwarf cross too,she doesnt look like a mini id say probably a dwarf cross some sort of uppy ear bunny :)

10. hazyreality

Yeh its literally!
    He was an old man who lived on his own and I was worried when he was out on his run that he would get too cold.... so...

[​IMG]

Then my mum knitted him one: His technicolour jumper :)
    [​IMG]

*Heidi*

11. Zippstar

Those pictures just made my day :) having a bad day at work at the moment but nipped on here quickly and that made me smile. Bless his little cotton....(jumper) socks! Was he a rescue bun?

12. Zippstar

Aren't dwarf lops meant to be quite big though? She's quite small overall - it's her fluff that makes her look bigger. When you hold her she's tiny underneath (even skinnier now she's been on a diet, lol).

13. frags

frags PetForums VIP

No Dwarf lops are not big :D they are approx 4-5lb where as french is 10lb + alot of mixed lops are called Dwarf lops.

With the weight and the looks id say dwarfxmini :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice