Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is porridge a good idea for weaning?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by doogpoh, Jun 11, 2010.

1. doogpoh

doogpoh PetForums Senior

My Mums pups are 3 weeks old tomorrow and my mum asked what would be best to get them started on solid food and when to start, i suggested natures menu wet puppy as i know my pup loves it and its a nice consistency for young pups. Anyway she said that she didn't want to give them any wet as she wants them on dry to keep the mess down and is going to give them porridge in the morning and soaked arden grange in the evening, i went to town when she went out to do a job [she's a taxi driver] and got a pouch of natures menu and they loved it :D to the point they were growning at each other :lol: Don't think she was best pleased but i don't care ;). sorry to go on, my question is what do breeders think about the porridge? is it good for pups to eat it? i just can't see it having the nutrients in it they need. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I used natures puppy tray's. I put a little Cow & Gate Baby's Rice or Baby Porridge (no salt added in these which is good) into a saucer and mushed it down with a little warm Goats milk and made it into a slightly runny porridge consistancy placed onto the floor and let them come and lap a little from my finger at first, then they did it themselves, they loved it, gradually making the mix with less Rice or Porridge, I put some warmed previously boilded water into a saucer and added a drop of goats milk to just colour the water, so they could see there was something in the saucer. over a couple of days I got it so there was just the puppy food and a little goats milk in the mix. after a couple of days I didnt put any goat milk in it at all. They just ate the lot. Other people will do something different, but this is what I do.

3. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I wean my pups on to heavily soaked dried food (to the extent it is porridge consistency) with a bit of lactol added in the first few days - my pups also have shredded chicken, mincemeat, tuna, naturediet - TBH - they get a bit of everything thrown in, but I would be inclined to start with puppy porridge / over soaked dried food and soft meat.

I like to mix and match their foods this young, as in my own experience - I find it seems to give them a stronger constitution than those raised solely on dried food.

4. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Same as above

5. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

scrambled egg and goats milk for mine........ farleys rusks added after a couple of days.

6. doogpoh

doogpoh PetForums Senior

thank u all for your suggestions :) ive just phoned my mum to let her know .

7. davehyde

davehyde Banned

they wouldnt be betting the rusks .....................i'd eat them, love 'em:thumbup:

8. welshdoglover

welshdoglover PetForums Senior

Oh my god, I love rusks, haven't had one for years. We only buy one when there's a baby in the family, and that's a bit drastic for me now, I'd rather have a puppy - which I got 6 days ago :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice