Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is nearly 13months unusual. . . . . . . . .

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haeveymolly, Aug 7, 2009.

1. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

not to have had a season yet, ime looking for all the signs, keep having a little peak:rolleyes: for a few months now and nothing. Has anyone else has a bitch that has been this age or older when they had their first one.

And is their any reason or breed wise why some or later than others, Molly is our first female, so new to all this.

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I'm sure dogs can have 'silent seasons'. I thought Sky had this at 7 months but nope, earlier this week she came into season full force :rolleyes:

It's very possible your girl has already had a season!

3. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

i'd go with silent season, Maya had one and I only spotted it because of Barney showing a high interest in her.

4. haeveymolly

Thaks for that ive never heared of it, this will seem really silly but would a vet through tests or whatever be able to tell because my problen is i want her spaying after her first one but dont want to do it incase she hasnt had a season.:rolleyes:

5. PennyH

PennyH PetForums Senior

My cocker was 11 months when she had her first and it was really "light" - hardly noticed it TBH.
    However, we had a yorkie who never had a season. We didn't worry about it at the time, but with hindsight should have got her checked out.... she later developed Cushings disease so don't know if that was linked (Don't want to worry you, but if nothing happens in a month or two maybe get her checked by your vet?)

6. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I met someone in the vets (funny enough) who's dog was 2 years old and that had never seen her had a season and had also wanted her spayed. The vet had also said she would have had a silent season and that she seemed fine now and could be booked into be spayed.

7. haeveymolly

Thanks everyone ile give her maybe another month and see if anything happens then get her checked out, and hopefully get her spayed.

Trust me to have an awkward one.:rolleyes:

8. foxy roxy

foxy roxy PetForums Member

hi roxy will be a year old on the 1/9/09 and she is having her 1st season now.
    it could come really soon. lets hope so.

9. Colsy

Colsy Banned

Freya had her first season 2 weeks before her 1st Birthday.
    Another bitch i know never had her 1st season until she was 18 months old.
    Hope this helps.

10. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

She's a springer:D. My friend's bitch was 15 month's with her season, I'd probly call my vet if she was mine though:)

11. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I wouldn't panic just yet, I've know several bitches that were around the 18 month mark.

12. haeveymolly

Thanks ile give her a bit longer then.

13. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes I know someone on another forum who has a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and she was around 20 months and still hadn't had a season so the vet went ahead and spayed her anyway.

14. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

My friends labby had her first season at 16 months old

Every dog is different

15. haeveymolly

Ime aware that spaying is best done after first season, when maturity has been reached and i hope i dont sound thick she is my first girl,:rolleyes: but if they reach say 20 months and not had a season and you have them spayed have they reached maturity without having a season, hormone ets, wise, or by being spayed without a season even at this age would i be running the same risks as spating before first season.

Sorry hope you understand, just ignore my waffling if ive lost ya, ime confusing myself now:D:D

16. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

I had a Lab that didnt have her first till 13mths, then she came in at 7mth periods.

17. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I don't know to be honest.:eek: She certainly looks mature on her pictures anyway, she's gorgeous.:)

18. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

It can vary with different bitches, different breeds and even different bloodlines within the same breed.

I had a Pug who had her first season at 5.5 months. Her daughter, grand daughter and great grand daughter all had theirs at around 9 to 10 months.

A Border Collie of mine didn't have her first season until she was 16 months. After that she only came in once a year. She was quite fertile and produced one lovely litter of 8 pups on the only occasion she was mated.

My Sheltie finished her first season a few weeks ago. She's 15 months old.

Other bitches coming into season can also bring a bitch in earlier than usual. My Pug who came in at 5 months spent a lot of time with her best friend Crystal a Cavalier who was 4 months older. Mary Pug came in about a week after Crystal. So perhaps lack of contact with other entire bitches may delay a season? Don't know. It was just a thought I had while typing this.

19. haeveymolly

The breeder we got her from are friends if ours and they kept mollys twin they are also in contact with one other owner and both have had a season, it just seems like molly thats a bit slow:rolleyes:

20. louise5031

louise5031 Guest

My friend's cocker spaniel has only just had her first season at 14 months :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice