Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

is my spider sick?

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by roadshredder, May 6, 2008.

1. roadshredder

roadshredder PetForums Junior

im really worried, looked in on my spider a moment ago and she is motionless on her back, i gently nudged her and she is still alive as she wriggled, any ideas please? tom

2. jacko

jacko PetForums Member

hmm? i really don't have any idea about spiders.. scary... maybe you should try consult your pet to a vet...

3. patsyking

patsyking PetForums Junior

If the spider is on its back then its most likely moulting. Spiders don't die on their backs, they die upright with their legs curled right underneath them. Leave her be and don't disturb her, she'll moult and come upright by herself.

4. bee112

bee112 PetForums VIP

didn't no spiders moulted! *shudders*

5. roadshredder

thanks patsy, i was worried coz she wasn't moving about, she is fine now she has moulted, how often is she likely to do this?, she is about 6 months old now

6. roadshredder

ps... should i remove the old skin? its still inside her burrow at the mo, can just see it inside

7. patsyking

Is the spider still in the burrow with her old skin? If she is then leave it, she will probably chuck it out herself. As for how often she will moult depends on what size and species she is I think. If she is walking about outside the burrow after a few days then I would think its ok to remove the old skin then. She will need to harden up and pump herself up a bit too and she will look bigger then. Also don't feed her for about a week as her fangs will still be soft. My b.smithi moulted yesterday but he is still very tiny and didnt make a burrow so I was able to get the skin out this morning. How big is your smithi? B.smithis are very slow growing but will moult about every couple of months when really tiny.

#7 patsyking, May 7, 2008
    Last edited: May 7, 2008
  8. roadshredder

she is about 2 inches, i dont ever see her outside of her burrow, only the tips of her feet at the entrance at night, think she's shy!

9. patsyking

Here's a pic of my little B.smithi after he moulted the other day. Mine is still really small.

[​IMG]

10. roadshredder

mine has filled out loads now since she moulted, her colours are really beginning to show!

11. patsyking

I can start feeding mine again tomorrow now. I bet he can't wait for some grub!

12. Becky

Becky PetForums Newbie

Right first up.

Tarantula's moult either on their back, side, or rarely but sometimes upright. It's ESSENTIAL that during this time you DON'T TOUCH THEM!! Touching them will disturb them and they can get stuck in their moults, in which case you'll end up with a dead spider.

How often they moult depends on food, temps etc. The spider won't eat a week or more before moulting, so make sure all food is removed.

My advice would be to do some REAL good research BEFORE buying a spider to avoid this!! Go and do some reading, it'll make the whole thing a lot less stressful lol

Also, leave your spider a week before feeding. And just leave the skin, she'll kick it out herself, then you can remove it.

#12 Becky, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
  13. Hennish

Hennish PetForums Member

How often do spiders moult? Also, when they do, does it come off in one piece like a snakeskin? (I don't have any pet spiders, I'm just wondering.)

14. Becky

Becky PetForums Newbie

They shed everything, they have an exo skeleton so when they shed they shed the whole of the outside of their body.

How often they moult depends on their size. Spiderlings moulting monthly, then spreading out as they get bigger then adults moult annually :)

15. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

sorry but i have to ask this, as i hate spiders....what fun is a spider as a pet?
    please don't be ofended.:rolleyes:

16. Rudy

Rudy PetForums Newbie

I wanted to ask the same thing!

I can't imagine having a spider as a pet, I'm terrified of them! :eek:

17. patsyking

If you have a spider from a spiderling and its one of the more colourful spiders then its fun to watch it moult and get new colours each moult etc.

18. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

as somebody that hates spiders i would love to know how i can get rid of them.please do tell!!!

19. jen1302

jen1302 PetForums Junior

Do you mean out of your house or just your fear of them if yes to fear i was like you back in November 07 and i did simple steps.

1 pics
    2 videos
    3 molts
    4 the real deal and it worked for me.

As for why do we like them well i have various sizes of various types of arachnids and there funny to watch and interesting on the changes they go throughfrom tiny slings to adults.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice