Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my ragdoll real?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tanethx, Jun 26, 2018.

?

Is Lola a ragdoll

Poll closed Aug 2, 2018.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

46.7%
  3. Maybe mixed

60.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tanethx

Tanethx PetForums Newbie

Hi there :)
    I bought Lola my ragdoll a week ago of a breeder with 2 litters.
    She had 6-7 adult ragdolls at home and showed me the “mum and dad”
    They both looked like ragdolls except the dad was fully ginger, mum was grey colourpoint.
    Mum was registered dad wasn’t.
    Lola came with vet notes stating she is a tortie seal ragdoll. She has hyper moments, is mostly calm and sleepy. Very trusting, has rabbit like fur, ragdoll colouring & bright blue eyes. Her face is just very slim and not round and her fur isn’t long?
    The breeder was VERY offended if I asked if she was full ragdoll but doesn’t look it to me.

Attached Files:

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I am not that familiar with Ragdolls but I think a fully ginger dad would not be the coloring I expected.
    She is very pretty. I have seen kittens have a bit shorter fur and it grows longer as they get older
    Cats often round out as they age as well. I would expect her face to get a bit fuller but not sure what a typical Ragdoll kitten looks like.
    I think we have one or two people with Ragdolls on the forum, who might see your post.
    She does look gorgeous.

3. Tanethx

Tanethx PetForums Newbie

Thank you, she’s beautiful and the bigger she gets the fluffier and rounder she looks.
    The dad being ginger was what made me think he’s mixed! I’m trying to remember if he was colour point or not but it all went so quickly. Thanks for you’re reply

Summercat likes this.
  4. Whompingwillow

Whompingwillow PetForums VIP

She is a real cat ;) but I dont think she looks like a full rag doll cat. She is absolutely adorable though. I think the breeder wouldnt have shown such a huge offence if there was nothing to hide? I dont know, because people can be odd in general - but I would say she a mixed breed, rag doll crossed with something else. (Thats only my guess!)

lorilu, chillminx and AmsMam like this.
  5. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome :)
    No, I'm sorry but your kitten almost certainly is not a pedigree Ragdoll. It sounds like Mum might be but Dad sounds like a moggy. You will only really know if the breeder had registered both parents and provided you with pedigree paperwork.
    I hope you didn't pay a huge amount :( Did the 'breeder' rehome at 13 weeks, fully vaccinated, worm and flea treated?
    Having said that, she is a gorgeous little kitten!

cheekyscrip and lorilu like this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with the others, your kitten is an absolute stunner, but maybe not a full Ragdoll.

7. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

There are solid Ragdolls but the Male not being registered is a concern.
    Ragdoll kitten coats can take a while to come in and some lines have shorter length than others.

She looks like a mismarked bi colour point

I hope you were also shown the health test results that Ragdolls should have done?

Clairabella and moggie14 like this.
  8. Tanethx

Tanethx PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone, yeah I agree I think she is mixed and that the dad was possibly a mixed ragdoll as he looked exactly like one, unless she had a moggy hidden upstairs!
    All I’m hoping is that she has the fur and temperament of a ragdoll, but I am annoyed because she was very persistent, and told me if I don’t like her bring her back from r a refund. Obviously I’m not going to do that now.
    She was £450 , not registered, but had all her vaccinations, wormed and vet checked, I was given all of this when I got her and I took her to the vet who said she’s very like a ragdoll and weighs how one should 1.5kg at 12 weeks but it’s hard to tell at this stage.
    The other thing that makes me think she might not be is she’s very naughty and hyper in the morning and then at night.. but then sleeps from 1-8pm is this normal?
    Also, what’s everyone’s thoughts on holidays, I can get her checked on but I feel like she might get lonely so considering getting another cat ( maybe do my research on breeder this time though )

Whompingwillow likes this.
  9. Tanethx

Tanethx PetForums Newbie

She’s had some health checks, do you reccomend me getting her genetic tests done at the vets to make sure she doesn’t have any history of genetic illness?
    I bought a little water fountain to keep up her intake for her liver/kidneys.
    But she came with an upper respiratory infection, which I’m a bit annoyed about too, I just want her to be happy and healthy mainly! ❤️

10. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I think play at morning and night and rest a lot of the day is normal for cats. My guy gets up with the sun and is active most at dawn and early to mid eve.
    If you are considering another cat, two kittens to tumble about and grow up together is a good idea. There are lots of kittens in rescues now and you could find a long haired one if you like longhairs.
    Ragdolls are essentially a mix of various cats bred for look and temperament. You could find similar looks in a rescue kitten and ask about temperament, as well as visit to see for yourself if you visit a shelter. A fosterer for a rescue would also be able to help you find a kitten that suits you and your current kitten in personality.

ewelsh and Whompingwillow like this.
  11. Tanethx

Tanethx PetForums Newbie

That’s a great idea, I would always have went to get a rescue cat, but I suffer with allergies so that’s why I wanted a ragdoll as I seem to be ok with them, I am starting to think a second one would be a good idea and within the next few months so that they can play togther and I worry about her being lonely. I think I’ll take up on that idea though as there may be a rescue cat suited to my allergies :)

Whompingwillow and Summercat like this.
  12. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

If you have allergies, I would do a home visit with a fosterer for a shelter or a shelter that would let you spend a bit of time with the kitten before deciding.
    Also get HEPA filters, limit carpeting etc to help reduce allergens in the home.
    Let us know if you do get another kitten and post pics :cool:

chillminx and Whompingwillow like this.
  13. Tanethx

Tanethx PetForums Newbie

Great thanks for all your info, I’ve made an Instagram page for Lola @lolathetortie if you would like to follow that if I get another kitten no doubt there will be hundreds of pictures

Summercat likes this.
  14. Tanethx

Tanethx PetForums Newbie

Hi there, just to update everyone.
    I managed to get pictures of Lola’s mum and dad and she’s changed quite a lot.
    She’s very needy and cuddly and much more fluffy!
    I spoke with another breeder and vet who believes she is a Ragdoll so who knows!
    I’m buying a little boy and he comes home in two weeks, they will be 12 weeks and 5 months old.
    Does anyone have any tips? I’m going to isolate him and gradually have them meet while scent swapping

Attached Files:

15. Tanethx

Tanethx PetForums Newbie

Posted a little update xx

Joy84 likes this.
  16. Tanethx

Tanethx PetForums Newbie

New Kitten- Reggie

Attached Files:

17. Tanethx

Tanethx PetForums Newbie

Lola xx

Attached Files:

18. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

No solid red cat in there, OP says dad was ‘fully ginger’

I hope the new kitten is properly registered and not from another byb.

19. Tanethx

Tanethx PetForums Newbie

Yeah I know, I got mixed up! I thought he was fully ginger but when I asked my stepdaughter she said no he was ginger and white, my bad!

spotty cats likes this.
  20. Tanethx

Tanethx PetForums Newbie

New kitten is fully registered :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice