Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my puppy underweight?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by mcparlston, Nov 23, 2012.

1. mcparlston

mcparlston PetForums Member

I was after some advice if any can help. My 17 week border collie has struggled with food since I have had him. I have tried various different foods but the only thing he seems not to get the runs on is Hills or Burns dog food. Initially the vet put him on the Hills. It was not puppy food but they just told me to feed a bit more than the recommended amount. They told me to give him150g a day. Because it costs a fortune they recommended that I tried the Burns food if he was ok on this, which he was.

The problem is he seems ravenous all the time and looks a bit underweight to me. When he stands you can see his hip bones. I am still giving him more than the recommended amount, ie sticking with 150g per day. So each meal he is getting 50g plus half a small potatoe and carrot. He is going through a bit of a growth spurt a the moment but I am just concerned I am under feeding him. He weighs just over 8kg and has been wormed twice in the last month. Does anyone know if this is enough food. Judging by the size of his paws he looks like he will be quite a large collie. He father was a big dog. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Burns own recommending feeding guide says your pup should be on 160g per day and that is only a guide. If you feel your pup is not putting on enough weight then I would continue to steadily increase.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice