Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my puppy in pain?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Dottydog, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Dottydog

Dottydog PetForums Newbie

Just wondered if anyone could help me or put my mind at rest please. I had my 7 month old springer spaniel puppy speyed on Friday, she also had a little hernia repair and a tooth out at the same time. She was very zonked on Friday night but nearly back to her usual self yesterday. We took her out for a nice walk today and so far she has managed without the lampshade collar as she has been licking her wounds but not excessively. However, this afternoon she has vomited twice and is madly trying to scratch her wound with her back legs and she is licking it alot. She is also going into her bed to sleep alot and whimpering. She was prescribed Metacam and has had a half a 2.5mg tablet yesterday and one this morning. I am worried as I've researched this medication online and don't like what I hear about it, although her symptoms could be because she is in pain. Does anyone have any advice or guidance please? Thank you:(

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

She sounds like shes exhibiting perfectly normal behaviours. Many animals will only react to the sutures a couple of days after the operation, as the wound starts to heal.

How far did you walk her? Was it on the lead?

Does the wound look clean?
    IS there any redness and/or swelling?

BTW, Metacam should only really cause a problem if its used on a longterm basis.

Was it hot when you walked her?

3. rona

rona Guest

Your dog is obviously in some discomfort. Metacam can cause vomiting but other major problems only usually arise after long term use.
    Some dogs get and allergic reaction to either the surgical gloves the vet used or less likely, the stitches.
    Your dog is suffering, but if it is within normal parameters for a dog that has been spayed, only your vet can really tell you. If you are worried, go to the vet

4. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

My springer's male, but my lab was spayed! had no prob's. Could be the heat worrying her don't no really. If your worried still in the morning call your vet, shaw she'll be fine though:)

5. Dottydog

It was hot when we walked her, it has been hot all day and she was full of beans this morning so I thought it was better to burn off some energy. Although she was walked on the lead we were probably out for an hour in the forest.
    There isn't any redness, swelling or ooze from the wound site at the moment. Do you think I should continue with the Metacam as she has two doses left to take?

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It sounds like you have over exercised her.
    Your vet should have advised just very short leads walks for the first 7-10 days. She may have pulled and twisted the op-site and made it very painful for herself as it hasnt "settled" yet. Dont forget, she has another 2 lots of sutures under the ones you see.

Walking any dog in the heat is extremely dangerous, and i would have thought this *may* be why she has vomited.

If you are worried about the metacam, ring your vets for advise and explain that you took her for a long walk in the heat today. It certainly sounds like she needs pain relief, and id personally continue with the metacam.

7. Dottydog

Oh god, I feel absolutely awful now! I wasn't told short walks, just lead walks, but now I think about it it's obvious really. Is there anything I can do to help her tonight do you think as the vets is closed till the morning?

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Most vets run a 24hr emergency service. Just give them a ring, trust me they will be used to to such queries, and you have to pput your mind at ease.

As she was on lead i highly doubt she has damaged herself, just probably just made it ache and pinch a little bit.

Stitches can become quite uncomfortable as the wound heals, as they can dig in and itch.

9. Dottydog

Just phoned the emergency on call vet and she said that I have over walked her and she has probably pulled her wound site. Feel so guilty! I have put her to bed and hope that she feels better after a sleep. :(

10. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Don't feel bad. she'll be fine :D

11. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Hi! I used to be a veterinary nurse and the nurse who discharged your dog to you should have made it very clear that she literally needs to go out on the lead for toileting only and straight back in, if you think about it when we have a ''histerectomy'' we have to rest for 6 weeks!! I think the walk overdid it and the best thing for her now is to rest her in a confined area such as a hallway or crate and let her sleep it off. If you notice any swelling or redness contact your vet straight away. I would hold back on the food for tonight now and give her small and often light meals tomorrow such as scrambled egg or boiled chicken and rice.

Don't feel bad it was the nurses fault for not making the aftercare instructions clear to you.:confused: :mad:

Metacam has some side effects but i would still give it to her at the moment unless you feel it is this that has caused her vomiting and if so you could phone you practice for some advice on whether she needs an alternative pain releif medicine.

I am sure she will be fine.:)

BTW to help with the back feet scratching situation you could put socks on her feet to stop her damaging the wound with her nails! ;)

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Dont beat yourself up. Your vet should have made things much clearer. Plus they can pull their sutures in the home.

These things happen, and at least you know now. She'll feel a lot better soon.

Its hard to know what to do sometimes when they seem so happy and energetic. My dog had a major op and i thought he could do something he clearly wasnt ready for. Result was a massive bleed and an emergency trip to the vets as he had shifted a blood clot.

13. rona

rona Guest

It was just as much the fault of your vet, for not giving you proper instructions :(

14. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

after a big op they are bound to feel queezy, you probably gave her regular meals without thinking about it. Im sure shes fine - make sure your giving the right dosage of Matacalm for her weight. Hope shes back to her usual self soon. No doubt she will, ive heard they recover reasonably quickly after speying - just a couple of days :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice