Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my puppy dominant?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Sian32, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Sian32

Sian32 PetForums Junior

One thing ive always been worried about, when i got Evie was i didnt want her to become dominant over me, as many little dogs can do! She is now 6 months and is going through what seems like the terrible twos...

When my flatmate comes home from work she will just bark at him. Im hoping this is not a dominance thing. If shes sat on the sofa and he sits down next to me she'll always move onto my lap and start barking. She would never be aggressive towards him if he moved towards me or anything and she will actually stop when he strokes her, she just stops and then seems content.

Am i right in thinking shes just barking for attention, e.g. play or a stroke? She never barks at me anymore because i have never given in to her.

Is the best thing to stop this barking just ignoring her?

Sian.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sounds like poor training and boundaries, rather than "dominance".

When she jumps on your lap, put her straight down on the floor without saying anything. She should only ever be on your lap when you say its ok.

By your flatmate stroking her when shes barking, shes being rewarded for her behaviour, so no wonder she does it.

Its only "small dog syndrome" because you are allowing it to be.

3. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

ignore her barking and when shes being good, calm and quiet give her praise and treats. get your house mate to do the same, by rewarding the good behaviour and ignoring the bad she will soon learn what behaviours get her attention and what doesnt, you can always try removing her from the room for a few mins if she gets over the top with the barking at first, dont look at her or talk to her just put her out the way and ignore her for a while, she'll soon get the hint

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

No, I'm sorry but puppies don't do dominant!

I agree with all the other replies, she knows a woof gets her attention, so she continues to do it :)

5. Sian32

Sian32 PetForums Junior

Trust me she is not poorly trained!

The dog trainer at her class has been overwhelmed by how well trained she is for her age! I have been doing this for what seems like months with no change, hence my post!

I only let her up if i say, if she jumps up i say down immediately which she knows and she'll jump down. If shes up on the sofa as soon as she starts to bark she goes down straight away. I was just wondered if i should be a bit stronger and actually put her away in her room for this barking?

I am definitely not allowing this "small dog syndrome" It is her one and only behaviour that does not seem to be changing with disipline.

Sian.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Have you tried not having her on the sofa at all? Maybe try this for a month, then see how her behaviour is.

Wouldnt hurt to shut her out the room, as i know many people do "time outs" and it seems effective.

7. fun4fido

fun4fido PetForums Senior

Hi Sian,

Without actually seeing this behaviour it's always a little bit like guess work to establish why it's happening, could be number of reasons.

However it's not dominance. At 6 months she's entering adolescents, a time when all training can seem to go out the window, and not come back until around 12 to 18 months depending on dog. :eek:hmy:

As a suggestion I would try following:

Give her a treat dispensing toy as soon as your flatmate puts the key in the door, what you're looking to do is change her motivation. Right now she could be seeking attention, so instead have her seek food :)

Dog pyramid treat toy

Make sure she sits first and is being quiet before giving her the treat dispenser.

If you consistently do this every time your flatmate arrives home, I'm pretty confident you will see a change, but do be patient.

Hope this helps

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice