Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my Miniature dachshund pure

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by John4790, May 23, 2020 at 7:56 PM.

1. John4790

John4790 PetForums Newbie

I am shortly going to pick up my miniature dachshund puppy and I have started worrying that he isn’t a pure breed. It’s his ears, they don’t look big enough? Will they grow? He is 5 weeks old in these pics. Love to hear what anyone thinks?

Attached Files:

2. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Surely you have discussed the parentage with the breeder. Have you seen the parents or have their details?

Happy Paws2, Torin. and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Hmmmm they do have dinky ears, how old are they? Do you have pictures of the pups with Mum? I'd ask for that plus photos of the dad.
    Puppies do all tend to look generic for a bit, and ears take a good while to grow when they are very young, most young puppies have small ears. If you are unsure ask for photos of puppies WITH mum, and her pedigree if she is KC reg.

cheekyscrip and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. John4790

We have seen the mother who is definitely a miniature daschound with her puppies and been assured the father is a pure miniature.

5. John4790

They are five weeks old in the pics. They do look like MD’s to me in every way when compared with other puppies of that age. It’s just the ears that concern me.

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I’m not sure they look 5 weeks in those pictures. How much do you trust this breeder?

7. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I agree the puppy looks quite a bit younger then 5 weeks. I’ve just googled 5 week old mini dachshunds and watched a couple of videos which show pups with much bigger ears and looking older then your pup.

I presume you saw the puppies in an advert, would you mind me asking where you saw the advert?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. John4790

Pets for homes website

9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree the ears look small for a dachshund pup, they are usually all ears and paws.
    Are the parents KennelClub registered and health tested?

Happy Paws2, Lurcherlad and NyxTheGSD like this.
  10. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

They you probably need to investigate more, as there are dubious breeders on this site.

Happy Paws2, Lurcherlad and Siskin like this.
  11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Those ears would trouble me.

I bred Parson Russell Terriers. At maturity, their ears are nowhere near the size of those of a Dachshund, yet, at five weeks, their ears would be much better formed.

The ears on the puppy in your picture look tiny, almost as though they've just opened, more as you would expect to see on a two week old.

The muzzle looks on the broad side too.

Are these pups red?

Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  12. Kakite

Kakite PetForums VIP

I’m not an expert at all but the puppies in the pictures look like they’re much younger than 5 weeks.

Calvine, Happy Paws2 and lullabydream like this.
  13. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I assumed they were about 3 weeks old? Certainly not 5 weeks

Calvine and lullabydream like this.
  14. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

As @Siskin, I just looked at min dachs on YouTube cos I thought your puppy looked three to four weeks.

I suggest perhaps you do this, too, and go with your gut instinct in the absence of any KC paperwork.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  15. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Is s/he coming with KC registration?

Did they insist on a non refundable deposit?

Have you looked at 5 week old MD puppies on the internet for comparison?

I don't know dachshunds at all, but those heads look very appley, almost like there might be a chi in the mix, maybe to keep them very small, I dunno, and the snouts broader than most dachshunds I've met
    Plus
    Those ears, daxies have floppy ears not semi erect, although if much younger they may have just opened, obviously
    I'd be doing some more snooping
    Things like asking for dads kennel name, so I could find out, for myself, if he'd been studded to the bitch, if he was KC registered, what his pedigree line was, did they have (bitch and stud) have any close relatives in their pedigrees

Had the parents been health tested before the mating happened, not just checked to say
    ' yeah they can breed'
    But actual put your hand in your pocket and paid for tests (KC breed info should tell you what they should be tested for)

Remember
    you get what you pay for
    And
    If you don't ask, you won't be told

16. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

The puppy in the first photo looks newborn, only as big as the hands holding him.

lullabydream and Kakite like this.
  17. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I don't think they're newborn, as their eyes and ears are open, which happens usually between 2/3 weeks of age.

It's difficult to tell from photos, but their eyes look brown and pups are born with blue eyes.

It's baffling really. If they are five weeks old, they look stunted.

18. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

They dont really look 5wks to me. They do look like MD x chihuahuas though!

I have 2 MD x chihuahuas and picked up one of them at 6wks. She looked very similar although her ears were more like the puppy on the right in one pic, you could also hold her in one hand although not as small as your puppy. TBH if they are chihuahua crosses then its possible they are 5wks as chi babies are teeny.
    I got 2 because I just love this cross but if you are paying full price Id be wary.

NyxTheGSD likes this.
  19. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I don't believe they are 5 weeks in those pictures; not for a second. Not going by size, more level of develpment. I'd say 3-4 weeks.
    And if the breeder says they're 5 weeks; well, I wouldn't put myself in the position of being accused of libel by calling them liars, but I think their pants must be well alight.

NyxTheGSD, lullabydream, O2.0 and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice