Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my kitten going to be a long haired or medium haired cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by tacos, Nov 14, 2020.

1. tacos

tacos PetForums Newbie

Hi all :)

Our six month old kitten is a Maine Coon mix - the person we got him from said he's ¾ Maine Coon and ¼ Bengal but we're not 100% sure on that lol...

We were wondering if he has medium or long hair? He's got a fluffy neck tuft and very fluffy tail. There are long white hairs (maybe 3 inches or so) on his legs and across his body. He also has some ear tufts poking out of the ear and tufts between his feet.

I read online that Maine Coons grow in an extra coat a bit later in life. so maybe his fur will get longer over his body as he ages? We don’t know what the parents look like unfortunately.

Thanks for your help :)

Attached Files:

Whompingwillow and Joy84 like this.
  2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Genetically all cats are either longhair or shorthair, but how long or short varies. Despite the fairly large fluffy tail I think your kitten is shorthair, but maybe the longer end of shorthair.

3. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Oh wow! He looks adorable ❤️, absolutely gorgeous. I bet he’s a right little character.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@tacos - he is a stunning looking kitten isn't he?! Wow! xx :)

5. tacos

tacos PetForums Newbie

aw thank you he’s definitely very mischievous lol, guess that’s his bengal side...

Thanks @OrientalSlave for the answer, I had no idea there were only two types genetically! Really thought that medium length hair was a thing, haha. But I guess it’s just the longer variety of short haired cat?

I thought the tufts of fur between his paws and those long white hairs he has around his body and tail were maybe indicators of long hair genetics, but I can also totally see how he’d be a long short-haired cat, especially with the bengal genes.

6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I might be wrong, he might be the shorter end of longhair. I was going by lack of ear furnishings and body fur looked short & sleek. Scattered long white hairs could be just part of his kitten coat.

'medium' can be the longer end of shorthair or the shorter end of longhair. Some genetically longhair cats have a big difference between summer & winter.

Summercat and spotty cats like this.
  7. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Many byb's claim any LH is a Maine Coon, and tabby patterned SH a Bengal.
    How sad they are breeding their moggies generation after generation to then claim 1/4 this and that.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  8. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

Your kitten is a stunner :Cat
    My vet described Phoebe as domestic medium hair as a kitten and it does come up as an option if you're getting pet insurance ...
    I am by no means arguing that it is an actual thing @OrientalSlave .
    And Phoebe is most certainly your average shorthair mog (obviously the most beautiful in the world to me because well, she's mine!) :Hilarious
    Your cat's hair, especially on the tail, is much longer than hers, I can tell you this much!

Summercat likes this.
  9. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@tacos
    Hi,
    My long haired cat when we adopted him as an adult, had a summer coat which looked like a short haired cat with a huge, fluffy tail.
    In your cat you can absolutely see the Maine Coon in his mixture.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice