Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my hamster lonely now ?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Sash1709, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Sash1709

Sash1709 PetForums Junior

Hi all, we've had two female chinese dwarf hamsters since they were 8 weeks old but sadly one died at the weekend at the age of 19 months.
    The other one appears to be ok but I'm worried that she may be lonely now and wondering would she accept a new hamster in to her cage?
    I've heard that they can only be housed together if they've been together since birth, but is this true?
    Thanks for any help :)

2. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

I believe it is hard to introduce old hamsters with new ones, esp chinese ones...though thats my memory of reading somewhere...but maybe getting two younger ones would induce maternal instincts maybe...and if anything happens to your remaining hammy...you wouldn't be in the same situation!! Am so sorry for your loss though!! xx

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I would never try to introduce hamsters that werent together from a very early age, they get very territorial when they reach adulthood and its highly unlikely that your existing hamster would accept a new friend. She might be missing her sister but I would just give her more human attention to try to fill the gap. Sorry you lost your little ham, RIP little one.

4. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

RIP likkle hamster. xxx

5. Sash1709

Sash1709 PetForums Junior

Hey guys thanks so much for your replies and kind words. I think I will leave things as they are and just make sure hammy gets plenty of attention so she doesn't miss her sister too much :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice