Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my gourami unwell

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Claudia Michelino, May 28, 2020.

1. Claudia Michelino

Claudia Michelino PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone, my tank is at good water levels and it has been cycled for over 2 years. I haven’t ever had a problem with illness besides when I bought three fish a year ago and they basically killed my whole tank.

Attached Files:

2. Claudia Michelino

Here are more photos
    Also let me add that I love all my fish. And the shark isn’t aggressive to my Yoyo loaches at all!
    Just her. Originally I was going to have the two sisters in this tank till they fully grew but one was a lot smaller and more timid. (She got bullied) so my original tank for the shark to grow in has her in there. Till she grows a bit.
    I’m really worried about my gourami!!! I’ve never had a fish bleed before!

Attached Files:

3. Claudia Michelino

also tanks are very clean it’s just I enjoy the natural look of plants and don’t clean Algae off back wall of tank for my loaches and the new shark.

4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Claudia. Welcome to the forum. Sorry it's under the circumstances. :(

I know you said the levels are all good and the tank is clean (no judge!entire here), but can you answer these questions for us, please? I've copied and pasted them from our Sticky "In Case of Emergencies", then removed ones that you've already answered (I'm not that bad at counting :p )

1) How big is the tank? (in litres, gallons, or physical dimensions length x width x height)
    We ask about tank size because the smaller the tank, the quicker things can go wrong. Knowing tank size or volume can also help us work out medication dosage, if necessary.

4) Do you have any test results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, (in ppm or mg/l - "water parameters fine" doesn't tell us anything) pH, GH and KH? Also, details of the test kit you're using will be beneficial, too.
    Another question that has multiple parts.
    A). Water quality problems (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) are the single biggest causes of illness and death in the hobby. "Fine" is subjective, we need the actual results.
    B). PH, GH and KH, collectively known as water chemistry, affect the toxicity of any water quality issues. Plus, fish kept outside of the parameters they've evolved for are more susceptible to problems
    C). Dip strip tests are usually less reliable than the liquid tests, and you usually have to buy a separate kit for ammonia (which makes absolutely no sense to me, but then I don't work for a test kit manufacturer), so if, for example, your fish are showing all the signs of nitrite poisoning, but the kit says it's 0mg/l, we'll take that into account but advice you do a 50% water change anyway. :D

5) Could you give us a full list of tank inhabitants, including species and numbers?
    It's important to know then full stocking of the tank for a number of reasons;
    A). To rule in or out the possibility of overstocking
    B). To ensure that any treatment we advise is safe for all species - for example, there's no point in advising a copper based treatment if you have inverts or sensitive fish in the tank, because it'll kill them.
    C). To rule in or out any compatibility issues.

6) When was the last time you did a water change? How much, and did you use dechloronator?
    The day-to-day running of the tank doesn't change much, which makes water changes the most common variable in the hobby. It's the one part where we can screw up - forgetting the dechlorinator is just one part. Also forgetting to plug the filter back in, like I did, 5 weeks ago :Bag

7) When was the last time you added anything new to the tank - fish, inverts, decor Did you quarantine them? If so, how long for? You can find more information on quarantine here

Adding new fish (or any inverts or decor that was in a tank with fish) can come home sick. Fish shops and suppliers often keep diseases under control by using UV sterilisers, which can mean the fish have no immune system to speak of, which means as soon as they come off UV - like your home aquarium, for example, they have no defences against any and all diseases out there. Plus, any immunity they have gained is put to the test with the stress and shock of transport.

If you put them straight into your main tank, any diseases they come with can quickly lead to a tank-wide problem.

5. Claudia Michelino

hey thank you for the response, my ph level is 6-7 at the moment
    My ammonia 0.0ppm
    My nitrate 0.0ppm

and my fish tank is 60l 80 including the built in filter in the back.
    It is 100cm long, 70cm deep and 100cm high.

there is only a female dwarf gourami, one rainbow shark and two Yoyo loaches.

#5 Claudia Michelino, May 28, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2020
  6. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

You're welcome. :). Glad to help.

It looks like an injury. Could be an attack from the rainbow shark (fish generally "behave", themselves if they think a predator is watching -, and their keeper could well be a predator), or she could have caught it on something. I'd recommend 50% water changes and the addition of rock or sea salt at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 5ltrs. (Sea salt is often sold as Aquarium or Tonic salt) The salt will help keep infection out of he wound while it heals.

Rainbow sharks need much bigger tanks than 60/80ltrs. They might be fairly small, but they're territorial. Minimum tank size is recommended at 55gal.

Hope that Helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice