Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my dog unwell? He keeps making a weird sound.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Amyfove, May 27, 2020.

1. Amyfove

Amyfove PetForums Newbie

2. Amyfove

Amyfove PetForums Newbie

So for the past month my dog had been making this sound. I rang the vet and they said that I should only bring him if it’s an emergency, rang another vet and they said the same. I’ve done some googling (which doesn’t help my worrying) and it brings up many issues but the main one is reverse sneezing. I have noticed he has been sneezing quite a bit too and my other dog has- but not as much. Could it possibly be allergies? It’s worrying me so much because he’s 13, i would of taken him straight to the vets but because of corona i don’t know what to do.
    - I don’t notice it every day
    - he shakes afterwards like he’s worried but then carries on like normal
    - it can be sometimes very high pitched like at the end of the video abc can also last a long time.
    - he doesn’t show any signs of bad health apart from slowing down from age and he also has skin issues.
    Thank you

3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I can’t identify why he’s doing this, but I really think that because a month has gone by you really should be insistent that he see a Vet.

4. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I would agree with the above, because it has persisted I would take him to the vets too.

caterpiller, Lurcherlad and Amyfove like this.
  5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It doesn't sound at all like reverse sneezing.

He's sounding and behaving more as though he has an irritation or obstruction in his throat or trachea.

Given his age, I absolutely agree he needs to be seen by a Vet. I would be more insistent and take the video of him making this noise with you.

Silverdoof, caterpiller and Amyfove like this.
  6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

An obstruction of the throat or trachea was my thought, too. I'd send the video to the vet and talk it through on the phone, where you can try again to get him seen.
    How is it when he eats, and is his food soft of kibble?

Amyfove likes this.
  7. Amyfove

Amyfove PetForums Newbie

He eats fine and he has dry food

8. Amyfove

Amyfove PetForums Newbie

Eddie is going to be taken to the vets today, thank you everyone for helping me out, I’ll update and let everyone know what’s wrong with him, hopefully it’s nothing serious :(

Linda Weasel, MontyMaude and lorilu like this.
  9. Amyfove

Amyfove PetForums Newbie

Just came back from the vets, he’s apparently got a infected roof canal that went unnoticed, that might be causing a throat infection, been given medication and advised to get dental treatment done thank you to everyone. Now my next worry is him going under anaesthetic :((

caterpiller, Linda Weasel and lorilu like this.
  10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Those are so easily missed. When my dog had an infected root canal, I'd noticed a bit of a smell but one morning woke up to find her face had ballooned until she looked like a bull terrier. A course of antibiotics soon got it under control.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice