Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my dog overweight?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kaiter, Jan 29, 2012.

1. kaiter

kaiter PetForums Newbie

So I weighed my beautiful Cocker Libby this morning and the little puddin is weighing in at 14.4kg (after brekkie in her defence!). I have done a bit of Googling and the information is a bit contradictory, some sites say she should weigh 11-13 (whoops!) some say 13-15. She does look a bit on the ‘fuller’ side at the moment, but she really doesn’t eat that much and she gets loads of exercise so not sure why she would be overweight. She is a tall dog for a Cocker; she has always been bigger and taller than the standard. She is 5 years old and neutered. Any advice?[​IMG]

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I agree with Dogless and her link. It's so easy to let their weight 'run away' - it happened to my pup once but a few weeks and she was back at a great weight and now I'm much more aware of it.

Generally you should be able to feel but not see her ribs, and she should have a waist :)

4. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Have you got any pictures of her from above and from the side?

My cocker is around 12-13kg and he's in perfect condition and weight. He can go down to around 11kg and still look lean, but not too skinny. But above 13kg, and he starts to look overweight. I find cockers vary a lot in weight, and it depends on each cocker which weight suits them. And also muscle weighs more than fat, so if the dog is very fit, its likely to weigh slightly more, and still be fit and lean.

5. Spud the Bull Terrier

Spud the Bull Terrier PetForums Senior

This^^^^^^^. I wouldn't worry to much about how much she weighs(unless she is putting on weight) or what the breed standard is. All dogs vary in weight, and obviously a taller dog or a dog with more muscle may weigh more then a sorter dog or a less muscular dog. Looking at the dogs condition is a much better guide to whether a dog is over weight or not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice