Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my dog in season?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by joanna1984, Oct 12, 2013.

1. joanna1984

joanna1984 PetForums Junior

Hello,
    I have a Border Terrier bitch pup who is 16 weeks old and I've noticed that she has been licking herself more often today and her vulva seems to be bigger than usual. My male neutered dog is also more interested and has been licking her too, which I have stopped him doing. I'm wondering if she's having her first season? I thought bitches have their first season at around 6 months old?

Thank you,
    Jo

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

It would be a very, very early season, have you got any one with a bit more experience you could ask to take a look? The other thing it could be is some sort of UTI, so if you're not sure, I'd get her to the vet as it could be very uncomfortable for her.

3. Emma P

Emma P PetForums Member

Hi :)

She definitely isn't in season. You're right, they get their first around the 6 month mark. If she were mine I'd have her seen by a vet as soon as possible. It sounds like whatever it is is causing her some discomfort.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Bitches can have a season usually anytime from around 6months onwards, first sign the vulva usually swells and then you get a bloody discharge. Some will lose more then others and if they are fastidious at keeping themselves clean you may see very little, you can check when they have been asleep and haven't cleaned themselves for awhile, by getting a white piece of kitchen roll and dabbing lightly. If you other dog is interested an from what you have said then it does sound like it.

Sometimes bitches can have something called puppy vaginitis in which case you see a thickened creamish/yellowish discharge. a common time can be before a first season. Often if a bitch has an infection they can clean themselves and because there is a different smell males may investigate.

Although she has the signs of season and 4 months does seem rather early athough probably not beyond the realms of impossibility.

5. joanna1984

Oh thank you so much for replying so quickly. Yes I've got someone I can get to have a look at her. I just wasn't expecting this for another couple of months or so! She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable and is being as mischievous as usual, she just seems to be licking more although I haven't noticed any blood.

Jo

6. joanna1984

I'm going to get my friend to look at her in a bit. If its not her first season then I'd rather be safe than sorry and get it sorted if there's something wrong.

Thank you for your replies, I shall keep you posted :)
    Jo

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

One of mine did have vaginitis before she had a first season, and the vet did give her ABs to be on the safe side. Any doubts its best to get her checked.

8. joanna1984

Hi all, I got Petal looked at late last night by my friend. She said shes got a mild case of vaginitis and to just keep her clean after she's been for a wee and when shes been for a walk (in case of dirt getting on her) and it should clear up without antibiotics but if I was still worried and she is still licking at herself then to take her in on Monday.
    Thank you so much for all of your advice and replies, I really appreciate it :)
    Jo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice