Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

is my dog golden retriever or mixed with irish setter

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Fadi alsahouri, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Fadi alsahouri

Fadi alsahouri PetForums Newbie

the first picture is my puppy’s mother do you think its mix with irish setter? 21FCE7CE-7DE9-4975-A06B-6F824B7EF55E.png

2ACC48D2-9631-4F2B-8256-DAE4ACD98F96.jpeg 21FCE7CE-7DE9-4975-A06B-6F824B7EF55E.png 2ACC48D2-9631-4F2B-8256-DAE4ACD98F96.jpeg

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Looks like a nice fox red goldie to me.

Sairy likes this.
  3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Most likely she is a working bred golden who are darker golds then the show bred ones. They are also slighter in build and have a silkier less profuse coats.

When golden retrievers were first being developed in the mid 1800’s a number of different breeds were used including Irish red and white setters and flatcoat retrievers.

Torin. likes this.
  4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I presume you are asking this question as the bitch is not KC registered and you haven’t seen her pedigree.

I do need to ask this next question, is she and the sire of the puppies health tested? This doesn’t mean a health check with the vets, but specific tests for hereditary diseases that golden retrievers can suffer. The main tests are hip and elbow scoring which is done by X-ray and an experienced panel who are able to judge the state of the hips and elbows, and specific eye tests for cataracts one which needs to done annually. There are also a number of dna tests that can be performed. Poor results from these tests mean that the dogs shouldn’t be bred.
    The reason for this is that goldens can suffer badly from hip dysplasia and elbow disease both of which a life long debilitating conditions that can be very expensive to manage. Make sure that you get yourself a good lifetime insurance policy for your puppy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice