Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my dog dying

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ourtracey, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Ourtracey

Ourtracey PetForums Newbie

Hi iv got a 16 year old staffy, for past few weeks he seems to of gone down hill rapidly, hes lost so much weight, can see hes spine and hes tummy is sunk in, hes pooping black tar/oil looking stuff, it actually fires out of him its that bad, hes vomiting, hes really lethargic, he used to open doors only few weeks ago now he can barely stand to get up to go outside to toilet, i know hes really ill so please don't give me negatives about not going to vets sooner i havent as he perked up and was eating again and gaining weight so we assumed he had caught some kind of bug, but its happening again now and only started yesterday, i have another dog and she is absolutely fine, bouncing around all over as usual so its not parvo i dont think as id assume she would catch it if it was that, any advice please as will be taking him to vets this time i know hes going to get put to sleep but my partner is so upset about it amd hes not wanting him to go as he knows i won't be coming home with him, its hard on him as hes had him since he was 8 weeks old, but to me 16 is a good age for a dog and hes really suffering

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

You have a duty of care to take him to the vets, & you need to expain this to your partner, I understand how hard it is but it's in your dog's best interests.

foxo, Bobbie, kimthecat and 6 others like this.
  3. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

At that good age I expect his body is just failing. I'd be preparing myself to say goodbye. Much better to let him go than let him suffer as it sounds like there's something going on in his body that will likely not get better.
    It's horrible watching our beloved pets get old, but the one last act of kindness we can show is letting them go peacefully and painlessly. Take care.

Burrowzig, DaisyBluebell and O2.0 like this.
  4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Your Staffy sounds very ill indeed.

He really must see a Vet straight away. It does sound as though his life has become miserable and he may well be in pain.

You really do have to help him. He can't help himself now.

5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

You need to do the right thing for you dog, how you feel doesn't come into it, Your dog seems to be suffering and you need to take it to the vets today and make the right decision for him.

It's hard I know, but we need to strong when they are so ill.

Burrowzig, foxo, Bobbie and 3 others like this.
  6. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Please do what is right for your dog and not what is right for you or your partner, we are able to make their ending quick and painless for them.
    Would you feel the same if ill and someone were able to help you by doing the right thing but didn't because of what they would be loosing?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Senior

It broke my heart when I had my two beloved dogs in the photo pts within 6 months of each other but I couldn’t bear to think of them in pain a minute longer than necessary. Please take your dog to the vets straight away even though it is the hardest decision to make.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  8. foxo

foxo PetForums Newbie

So sorry to hear about your dog but you must be strong and put your dog first Take him to a vet and give him the final act of kindness by letting him pass on painlessly AFTERWARDS you must grieve but know you did the right thing for your dog Take care

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  9. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Black tar sounds like internal bleeding and if so he's probably in pain and feeling very unwell.
    Is it possible for your partner to go to the vet with you and say his final goodbye?
    It might help him to understand just how serious it is and give him some comfort knowing you shared the moment.
    It can be easier to bear if the vet agrees it's for the best, so it doesn't just look like it's your decision.
    My heart goes out to you both, but please don't let your poor dog suffer any longer.

DaisyBluebell, Burrowzig and foxo like this.
  10. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm hoping the lack of response is because they've been to the vet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice