Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my Dobermann too over the top??

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming, May 1, 2017.

1. Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming

Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming PetForums Member

So my neighbour was in the garden with his girlfriend chasing her around, he runs at the fence towards us and goes "arghhh" whilst Dantè and I are walking past and Dantè just flies at the fence hackles up, teeth on show??!! As soon as I told Dantè it was OK we then went to the fence and he allowed my neighbour to stroke him! Thank you for reading.

2. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Sounds like it just frightened him. If someone did that to me I would probably react defensively too!

Wiz201, Burrowzig, Lurcherlad and 3 others like this.
  3. Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming

Yes thank you I agree I jumped myself and I think Dantè picked up on that and reacted. As soon as I comforted him he was fine X

4. ouesi

ouesi Guest

You have a doberman...
    How would you have expected him to react?

5. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

My girl's hackles went up and she got all defensive when she saw a person in an animal costume (the kind that you see at fetes and carnivals). She hates anybody in a mask as it really frightens her.

6. Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming

I understand I have a dobermann yes however I was expecting a bark and a growl but not the reaction he gave X

7. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I'm right with her there. Masks freak me out so I couldn't ever blame a dog for not liking them.

8. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

I'd say it sounds like a pretty typical response to being startled so suddenly and unexpectedly.

Wiz201, Burrowzig, Lurcherlad and 2 others like this.
  9. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I think instead of asking if his reaction was warranted or not, you need to be asking yourself what you want from him, and then make that very clear to him.
    You have a breed that was bred to not back down from a threat. It is in his genetic make-up to default to defense in the face of something threatening.

It is also in his genetic make-up to defer to you, his handler. Dobermans are also very handler oriented dogs. But in absence of any direction from you, yes, his default behavior is going to be exactly the OTT reaction you got. It is not at all unusual for the breed.

That it is not unusual does not mean it is acceptable. You have to decide what you want his reaction to be, and then specifically train for that. Otherwise he is going to continue making unilateral decisions about how things need to be handled and that's not necessarily a good thing.

10. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I think you need to decide whether his reaction was too much. If it isn't what you want, then you need to train and direct him.

It should not be his decision.

He did what he is bred to do but, in the absence of control or direction, he didn't know where to stop.

11. Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming

Thank you for your replies. I told him it's alright which maybe I should not have done but he stopped straight away and then we went over to the fence and he reverted back to normal saying hello to our neighbour x

12. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I agree it wasn't necessarily OTT for his breed and he stopped at posturing, came away when told and switched quickly to chilled, friendly mode.

However, I might be inclined to think about tweaking the fencing to ensure he cannot reach over or through to next door. I don't want to be on high alert in my own garden just in case a neighbour mucks about in theirs so it would be a sensible precaution for me.

It might also be good to sharpen his looking to you for direction first perhaps, for his benefit?

Seeing it purely from his point of view he was doing his job, if possibly a little over zealous for most people ;)

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I'd expect the majority dogs to act as yours did under those circumstances, not just Dobermans.

14. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

My Lab would most likely react the same way to someone startling him like that. Hell, I'd probably react that way too!

15. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I think my retriever would have reacted in a similar way tbh

16. ouesi

ouesi Guest

All the more reason a doberman owner should not be surprised at their dog's reaction.

I'm just going to take a moment to point out here that both temperament tests and therapy dog tests include an exercise where the dog is deliberately startled with a loud noise and/or movement from a stranger. It can range from a person jumping out and opening an umbrella to dropping a pair of metal crutches or banging a set of metal bowls near the dog.

A dog who responds in defense and/or aggression will not pass. Yes, even a dog bred to defend. It's also not acceptable for the dog to show fear either. (A startle that the dog quickly recovers from is fine.) But for a dog to immediately go in to defense without assessing the situation or defering to the handler is not okay.
    An acceptable response would be curiosity even guarding posture, as in getting ready to do something if needed.
    So it's not unreasonable to teach your dog to defer to you and have a more measured response.

Magyarmum, Lurcherlad and Sarah1983 like this.
  17. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

My cat responds in a similar way when startled!

18. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I recall one night I was walking my dogs on lead through a green area in the middle of an estate. There were some youths who hadnt seen me approaching behind. Suddenly as we got right behind them 2 of them started to play fight, both of my males reacted defensively because it had startled them and the youths were coming towards us. I think the youths had more of a fright than my dogs though tbh. It wasnt a reaction that concerned or surprised me and generally they dont startle easily. I think if their 'go to' behaviour was to bark, growl, lunge etc at whatever surprises them then I would be concerned.

19. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

My yorkie would react to being startled, but my Lhasa/poodle is less bothered. When a man suddenly approached at night (I hadn't see him and wasn't expecting someone to walk across the park to go in the bushes) my yorkie reacted. He completely ignored her reaction and carried on sniffing at the bushes. I called him over and that was when he noticed the man behind him. He jumped a bit as he was surprised and then recalled. He is older and has had been to more training sessions than she has. However, I'm under no illusion that I've somehow managed to be a brilliant trainer for him and feel it is more down to his temperament/intelligence.

20. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

I would be careful about allowing someone to stroke him so soon after a reaction like that, he could react in the moment

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice