Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my cat's giardia gone?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Notna, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Notna

Notna PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

Wanted to ask for some advice for the fellow members who also had to battle with Giardia.

We have a 2 year old resident cat and about a month ago brought in a new kitten. Little did we know, the kitten came with... Giardia :rolleyes: The kitten was having diarrhoea, stinky stool that we foolishly attributed to the stress of the new environment and the new food we were giving her. After a few weeks, our resident cat started having the same, very stinky diarrhoea and started showing her third eyelid. We knew something was wrong.

Took them to the vet, both stool sample came back positive for Giardia. Most likely kitten passed it on to resident cat. On top of that, our resident cat also showed a campylobacter strain in her system (a strain that apparently wasn't the "usual" strain you can find in cats and dogs, so our vet decided we should treat it too).

They both have been on 10 days metronidazole (metrobactin) for the Giardia and the resident cat was also put on doxycycline (ronaxan) for the campylobacter for 10 days too.

Three days ago, we finished the metronidazole treatment. Resident cat still has 4 days of doxycycline. The kitten's stool improved greatly after only the second day of antibiotic and has been great ever since (no smell, great shape and consistency).

For the older cat, the stool improved after the 6th day of metronidazole and has been on and off since. No runny diarrhoea as before, but the stool is sometimes very soft, almost like diarrhoea (not stinky anymore though). Then, a few hours later she would go again and the stool would be perfect... And then the next day soft diarrhoea-like paste again... etc.

From your experience for those who had to fight Giardia, the fact that her stool is still like a soft paste on some days is an indicator that she still has Giardia in her system? Or does it take a while for the stool to go back to normal permanently?

Our vet said that we should stop the metronidazole and no need to prolong the 10 day treatment. Is that a fair decision? Is it worth keeping them on the antibiotic until both of their stools are "perfect" ?

In the meantime, we are also using disposable litter trays and replacing them every 1-2 days, washing their bedding every 1-2 days and disinfecting/cleaning the litter area and usual living areas every 1-2 days...:Depressed

Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you.

2. David C

David C PetForums Senior

I would give your older cat a probiotic as doxycycline can cause stomach upsets so it could well be that. It's often recommended after doxycycline that a probiotic is used.

3. Notna

Notna PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the advice. I kind of hope the stomach upsets are because of the antibiotics and not Giardia...

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It is fairly common for metronidazole to cause loose or soft stools in cats. If the vet says it's OK to discontinue it I would do that, and you should get a clearer picture of how your cat's bowel is now.

I know doxycycline can cause gastric upsets or soft stools if given on an empty stomach. One of my cats has a course of it several times a year for URI's (due to long term damage from FHV1 as a kitten - before I adopted him). He always has the doxycycline liquid suspension prescribed which I add to his food, and he is fine (no upsets stomachs or soft stools)

David C likes this.
  5. Notna

Notna PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the advice. The kitten is still doing fine in terms of stool but diarrhoea is back for our older cat... Yesterday she passed stool 4 times and only once it was the right consistency/shape - and soft/diarrhoea the 3 other times.

Not sure what to do. Should I ring the vet and let him know? It seems like it has been going downhill since we stopped the metrobactin but it's hard to say.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Do you have your older cat on a plain home-cooked chicken diet at present? The bland diet rests the bowel by slowing down peristalsis. Chicken legs, thighs or drumsticks are best, served with the skin but without the bones. Add some of the cooking water (stock) as fluids.

Feed the chicken diet only, and filtered or boiled water to drink. As soon as she passes a formed stool, transfer her slowly over the course of a few days back to cat food.

7. Notna

Notna PetForums Newbie

So, now that you say this, they have been on 100% raw food diet while on metrobactin 10-day course. After finishing the course, I started giving our older cat her old favourite wet food thinking her stomach is used to it... Maybe it didn't like the sudden change. I will get her back on 100% raw and see if there is an improvement. From my experience, raw food has always been the most gentle on their tummies...

chillminx likes this.
  8. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

Did they test for sensitivity for the campylobacter? As the usual antibiotic of choice is erythromycin in the veterinary world and azithromycin in humans.

spotty cats likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice