Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my cat Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Lashes10, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Lashes10

Lashes10 PetForums Newbie

Hey all

So my cat Tibby, who is roughly around 12 months old. Has been in heat since January. Calling for upto 4-5 days (Morning, noon & night) and then having a break for about a week. To then start calling and everything else to do with being in heat! Anyway about 3 weeks ago she escaped as one of my little boys left the front door open. Shes a house cat by the way. She was gone for about 2 hrs. When she came back, i guessed that she had been upto no good as she was no longer calling!! Plus the fact that the entire streets tom cats stopped coming round our gardens.
    I've noticed over the last few weeks that she has become very hungry, and she was only wormed 8 weeks ago at the vets so its not that. The last few days her belly looks very bloated, and when i had a feel tonight it feels lumpy, but i don't know if thats because her teats are swollen or if its in her belly?? What do you all think??

Here she is, she's meant to be half british shorthair, but i beg to differ!! She's still pretty to me thou. :)
    [​IMG]

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I dont know,I hope not.Why was she not neutered,why when she escaped did you not take her to be neutered .Did you intend to breed from her ,and if so,why.I am fully aware that the "Pink and Fluffy" brigade will be out in force soon saying aw,never mind we'll help you through this,but the bottom line is the rescue centres are going to be full soon of unwanted kittens.The more unplanned litters there are ,like this,the less chance there is for those that are already in the centres.

Gem16 likes this.
  3. Lashes10

Lashes10 PetForums Newbie

Firstly how rude!! I thought this was a site that offered help on our pets!!
    It was an accident, (by my 4 year old son may i add) as to why she escaped! Have you never made mistakes!! No i didn't intend on breeding her, but it doesn't mean it's unwanted!! Just because there are people out there who don't look after there pets, please don't target me with the same brush! I look after my pets very well. I asked for help on weather people thought my cat may be pregnant, not for abuse! So if your not going to answer the question, and more importantly have anything nice to say then please don't comment on my post!!!

4. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

sounds like she could be the only way to find out is to take her to the vets. My opinion on the matter is once is an accident but after that it is unaccepable. We all make mistakes and in hind sight spaying would have been the best thing, even if she was an indoor cat. I personaly dont like the idea of aborting kittens or puppies unless there is significant risk to the mother, Just my beliefs and alot of people will disagree with me. I wish you luck and also when kittens (if there are any) are born get mummy spayed. :)

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Firstly this is a forum where people say what they want to say.Just because I havnt said what you wanted doesnt make me rude.At 12 months old,all caring owners that I know would have their cats neutered.I have no idea whether your cat is pregnant or not,I hope it isnt.As I have heard on here so often ,an accident is something which cannot be prevented.This could so easily have been prevented by having your cat neutered.I will not apologize for having an opinion.As for commenting on your post,dont post if you dont want comments.

6. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Im sorry it is NOT a 'accident' accidents are unforseern and cannnot be prevented.

a 12month old moggie that should have been neutered at 5months of age, calling and is let outside by a child...TAKE TO THE VETS AND NEUTER right away. Im sorry its not hard is it?? :mad:

Why I do bother neutering all my pets? Because Im responacible and dont want them getting pregnant or sireing loads of random flippin kittens!!! :mad:

Only advice I will offer is Take her to the vets and have her neutered.

Literally cant be bothered anymore, no one seems to listen, whats the point! :confused: :cryin:

OH if she is half british did you know about blood grouping? if not all the kittens could die depending on who she mated with, and even if she is a indoor can she can still get extremly ill by not being neutered, mentally aswell and psyically.

#6 Taylorbaby, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
    Gem16 likes this.
  7. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

She really should have been neutered at 5-6 months. Being in heat is an unnecessary stress for cats if their not planning on being mated.
    Plus it avoids accidents like these... i understand YOU feel this is harsh and yes your cat is beautiful but this could have been totally prevented.
    Are you prepared time wise and financially to deal with a litter of kittens, keeping them for 12 weeks, paying for vaccines food litter and then any emergencies which may arise.
    Then finding loving responsible homes for all of them, there is a real crisis in animal rescues at the moment where cats desperately need homes so you must understand why bringing more into the world this way ( when it could have been easily preventable ) is not going to please people on here.
    Why was she not neutered? :(

Vampyria likes this.
  8. catlove844

catlove844 PetForums Senior

not 2 in one night!! have her neutered she will love you for it! :)

9. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Copied from other thread:

I must say my cat does look at me mournfully now as kittens climb her head to sleep on. She's also horribly skinny since they're draining her dry and she had a little bit of chub before she got pregnant. I'd say since you don't already know it's too early to tell, and therefor not too late to spay. Trust me I'm forking out alot of money just now! I also had a major scare during the birthing process and didn't think a kitten would make it. It's just not worth all that stress. If you call your local Cats Protection they can help with the cost of spaying if they don't pay it in full.

As someone who is in that place right now.

10. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

Sigh! I give up.:cryin:

11. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I'm with you on this one :)

To OP, get your cat booked in to be spayed and do the cat poulation and the rescues in the UK a BIG favour, as well as mamma cat :thumbsup:

12. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Answer to question: probably. But unless the litter is absolutely huge, you would not expect to see any increase in size at 3 weeks. I find I am beginning to suspect it at 4 weeks and sure at 5 weeks.

liz

13. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Well, the way I see it: it is a site for pets - in general; not your/our pets in particular. So, while you might not like the advice given to you, it is advice that stands over and above that of your situation and applies to the greater good of cats.

So, IMO, there is nothing rude about the questions that Buffie and others on here have asked and there was certainly no abuse levelled at you with the questions that were being asked.

Simple fact is, you didn't spay your cat, you let your cat out, you were playing with fire. No accident - though perhaps "accidental on purpose".

14. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

Lashes10, I do agree with what the others are saying, however I completely believe that the way they are saying it will make you feel defensive and therefore might not have the intended outcome!

Please get her spayed now - whether she is pregnant or not. Even if she is an indoor cat there is always the danger of somebody accidentally letting her out, and as others have said it is stressful for her to be in heat which I'm sure you don't want to put her through.

At least you are suspecting early enough for something to be done about it. Even if it turns out she isn't pregnant, something is surely wrong as you have noticed, so worth a quick trip to the vets anyway.

Keep us updated :)

15. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I believe people are delivering advice in a particular way because they are totally fed up of reading the same thing time after time after time.

If a new member were to do a little research before posting, they would see how emotive it can be to adopt such a slack attitude to not having a cat neutered/spayed by 12 months, unless it's a pedigree cat on the active register, in which case, they would most likely have a mentor and not come on here asking for advice. These kinds of threads have been started just to inflamme members in the past, so I fully understand why people would be peed off.

To the OP - your cat should have been spayed ages ago. In addition to the risk of her getting pregnant, an unspayed cat runs the risk of health problems which can be avoided by having her spayed :mad:

16. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

All good advice given, so depressing to read so many posts about poor little kittens on the way ... into a world already saturated with them and not enough good, PERMANENT homes ... Especially when it is easily prevented and may be remedied in early stages of pregnancy.

17. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Isn't it depressing? I guess it's "that" time of year :(

I've no quibble with anyone who is pro-life as everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. But what always strikes me is that, amonst the many, many threads that appear on here in the same vein as this - accidentally pregnant - is that not a SINGLE op/owner EVER falls into the category of those who are not 'pro-life'... when did we last hear someone say gosh, thanks, I didn't realise she could be spayed at this point, I'll get right onto that?

Which pretty much makes me believe that things weren't entirely "accidental" in the first place.

18. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

I do agree that "accidental" is rather a euphemism in most cases. I think, though, that there are a few people who genuinely think that an indoor cat can be kept entire in the way that a bitch can if you are prepared to cope with the inconvenience. It just doesn't work like that with cats.

Liz

19. catsmum

catsmum PetForums Member

that is weird, i was just coming to that conclusion myself. either this forum is full of the most ardent prolifers or all these accidental cat pregnancies arent accidental afterall

20. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Great minds ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice