Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my cat missing another cat she spent the holidays with?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Portoman, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Portoman

Portoman PetForums Newbie

I went on a long trip recently (2.5 weeks) during which time my cat, who is two years old, stayed with friends, who have a 9 month or so old kitten. I realise that it isn't ideal for cats to change environment, and that this could be a factor too, but I didn't have many options.

Since my cat returned, she's been acting strange. I suspect that she misses the younger cat, whom she was apparently mothering and caring for during the holidays with my friends.

She has been acting weird - a bit nervous, a bit less playful, and even tail-chasing here and there (which I had never seen before). We recently went to the vet as she had been breathing heavily, which itself may have been stress-related (missing the cat, or changing environment).

thoughts?

2. Portoman

Any thoughts chaps?

3. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

How long have you been home? Mine often act a bit odd after we get back from a holiday - attention seeking types of behaviour mostly, but usually only for a day or two.

4. Portoman

A few weeks now...

5. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Hmm, I'd have thought she'd be past any initial unsettled behaviour by now. Did the vet have any ideas? Is she spayed? Wondering if her "mothering" the youngster might be related?

Whatever has caused it (as long as the vet says it's not medical), I guess the best thing now is to be patient with her and try to work on the new issues. Lots of treats and gentle love to start with...

Portoman likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice