Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my cat lonely?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by sar4h1, May 22, 2016.

?

Do you feed your cat wet or dry food?

1. Mostly wet food

18 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. Mostly dry food

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Equal mix of wet and dry

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. sar4h1

sar4h1 PetForums Junior

I own a 2 year old cat who is a domestic longhair crossed with a British longhair we have had no health problems with him until recently he has started to have cystitis that reoccurs for no obvious reason.

He is an indoor cat and we do spend a lot if time with him but obviously have to work and do leave him some days I am wondering is this time on his own making him anxious and causing the outbreaks of cystitis?

Do cats do better when they have a companion other than human owners?

We have tried the obvious things like get a water fountain and increase the amount of wet food he has instead of dry.

Does anyone else have any experience of this with young male cats?

2. SpringDance

SpringDance PetForums VIP

When you say mostly wet food, I ticked it, but I only feed wet food. I don't feed any dry.

I'm afraid, I can't help with your other question. What has the vet said? Are there any other cats outside that could be upsetting him?

3. sar4h1

sar4h1 PetForums Junior

No other cats that we know of he doesn't really seem bothered by much he is usually quite a relaxed cat.

Our vet hasn't really said much they don't know what's causing it he has had meloxydil and an injection of antibiotics to clear it up. We would like to reduce or stop it happenin but don't know what to try next.

What wet food do you feed your cats? We are hoping to speak to our vet about a complete wet diet.

4. SpringDance

SpringDance PetForums VIP

Granatapet, OmNomNom, Mac's from The Happy Kitty Company. And Nature's Menu from my local independent.

sar4h1 likes this.
  5. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

Other pets are a big cause of stress - I wouldn't consider another cat until his cystitis is sorted out.

Does he ask to go out or has he ever been out?

Sorry I don't know how to post a thread but if you search for posts by ZoeM and read the thread "Snafu peeing blood" it might help with treating his cystitis - give you a clue on what to ask the vet for.

#5 Jannor, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
  6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Like Springdance I feed wet food only ,so didn't click on an option on the poll,with a cat that is suffering from cystitis it is important to feed a wet diet onlyas they need as much moisture as possible .
    I also agree that whether he is lonely or not getting another cat at the moment would IMO be counter productive as it most likely would make things worse if stress is the cause of the cystitis.
    It may be worth trying him on a course of Zylkene to see if this helps it isn't a drug ,as such, and may help if he is stressed.
    Some members buy the larger capsules and split them but this is the average dose for a cat..................http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/zylkene-capsules-pack-of-20-75mg.html although as this is not a drug it isn't dose critical.
    Has there been any DIY going on either with you or neighbours,shifting of furniture or other changes , its amazing how simple things can cause a cat to feel threatened

sar4h1 likes this.
  7. sar4h1

sar4h1 PetForums Junior

We have an enclosed garden so does sometimes go out but not that often. Where we live isn't really safe to let him roam free.

We weren't planning on getting another pet any time in the near future it's just something we have wondered about and are just trying to think of anything it could be.

There have been no changes in the house no diy things have been the same for ages we just can't figure out what triggers it but we are looking to find a complete diet that's all wet food even though this will be difficult as he has always preferred dry food.

Thank you for the advice I will also try find that other thread.
    I'm

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Jannor and sar4h1 like this.
  9. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

I ticked "mostly wet food" but I only feed wet for their meals. They may get a couple of pieces of dry food for a treat occasionally but this is rare.

Before joining the forum I fed them exclusively on dry food; I ended up with one very overweight cat and although my other boy has never had a weight problem, he did suffer from cystitis as a youngster. I am lucky in that they converted to wet easily; first supermarket quality and then up to the better German brands available on Zooplus and the Happy Kitty Company. Best advice would be to buy a few trial packs and see what your little fella likes. Lots of advice on here :)

sar4h1 likes this.
  10. sar4h1

sar4h1 PetForums Junior

Thank you I do worry his food preference plays a part in this he is so fussy I just do not know why.

I think trying some trial packs from zooplus is a good start I already use zooplus for all my cat food so will look for some wet options that are complete.

He tends to go of drinking too when his cystitis starts so it's a battle getting it to improve. Back at the vets tomorrow fingers crossed we see some improvement I worry so much.

11. sar4h1

sar4h1 PetForums Junior

Update- after visiting the vets this morning he has had to stay in for sedation and his bladder emptying with a drip for fluids we will be getting an update later to find out what to do next.

We are hoping we can help control future outbreaks with a new wet diet but will be discussing it with our vet later.

12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Has the vet said it is idiopathic cystitis (FIC)? i.e. not due to crystals, or bladder infection.

Is your cat on Cystophan or Cystease supplement?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Protexin-V...1464021473&sr=8-1&keywords=cystophan+for+cats

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cystease-A...=1464021532&sr=8-1&keywords=cystease+for+cats

Some people have also found their cats with chronic cystitis have responded very well to D-Mannose.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Mannose-...UTF8&qid=1464021608&sr=8-2&keywords=d-mannose

But sometimes the one thing that really clinches it is to put the cat on a 100% wet or raw diet, with no dry at all. I trust your vet will agree with your plan to put him on a wet diet, as that the way you can be sure he is getting enough moisture in his diet. Cats are not good drinkers and you cannot always trust them to drink enough water to hydrate dry food.

You could also try getting him to drink home made chicken broth,( as well as feeding wet food) as that will help to keep his urine more dilute and more comfortable to pass.

sar4h1 likes this.
  13. sar4h1

sar4h1 PetForums Junior

We now have Leo home after his operation on Monday to empty and flush his bladder out. He had a catheter fitted and was on fluids through a drip for 24 hours.

We have been told it was likely that there were some crystals found as well as a possible mucus plug. Our vet has advised a wet diet of Royal Canin S/O urinary food along with a supplement - I will check which brand this is. We are going to stick with this diet even though dry food has always been his preference we do not want to encourage this to occur again he has been so unwell.

He hasn’t had much to drink since coming home but we are monitoring his tray use and hope that he improves, we have Meloxydil anti-inflammatory medication for 7 days.

14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi, I am happy to hear Leo is back home after his operation to flush his bladder, and also very pleased to hear your vet agrees Leo should be on a wet food diet from now on.

If he is now on a wet food only diet it is likely he won't drink much water, as he will be getting all his fluids in his food, as nature intends for cats.. However, in view of his history of bladder problems I would be inclined to add a little water to his wet meals, just a couple of teaspoons a meal will help.

I do hope he will be fine from now on. :)

15. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Echo everything chillminx has said,hopefully Leo will be absolutely fine now .

sar4h1 likes this.
  16. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

Hope Leo's feeling better.

Hills do a version of the wet urinary food if he gets bored with the Royal Canin. Hills used to look cheaper as it didn't have as much in each pouch - not sure if that's still the case. I used to get it from one of the on-line pharmacies as its much cheaper than from the vet unless his insurance is covering it.

Mine wouldn't touch any of it after a few months but as he'd been fine I put him back on normal wet and he was okay.

sar4h1 likes this.
  17. sar4h1

sar4h1 PetForums Junior

Leo has had a bad week since returning home after having his bladder flushed out and having a catheter fitted. His surgery took place on Monday morning we spoke to the vets on Tuesday and they said even though he had not urinated by himself It would be better if we took him home as he was too stressed and not eating whilst at the vets.

We picked him up Tuesday night and he seemed happy to be home, he used his own tray and ate as soon as he came in, he only managed to pass a small wee but it was better than nothing. Later that night he used his tray about 6 or 7 more times to pass very small amounts we checked with the vet and they said as long as something was coming out it was normal. On Wednesday he continued with his new diet and used his tray maybe 20 times which was concerning us, we contracted the vets and they said see how he goes overnight.

Thursday morning when we got up Leo was very stressed his eyes were wide open and pupils dilated he had used his tray overnight but was trying to squat all over the house doing tiny drops of wee, he just had no control we tried to calm him and managed to collect a urine sample from the kitchen floor. The vets saw him straight away that morning, he was prescribed diazepam which would relax him and stop his inflamed bladder and urethra from spasming each time he tried to pass urine.

We brought him home and he relaxed straight away, the next time he used his tray instead of squatting where ever he happened to be. We continued with diazepam twice a day for 4 days and we are now down from 20+ visits to his tray to around 6 a day which we have been told should settle down over the next week. We have stopped the diazepam and just have a couple in for emergencies.

The medication Leo is now on is :-

Meloxidyl once a day (for 7 ore days)

Lintbells, Yurelieve 1 capsule with food every 12 hours

Royal Canin veterinary Urinary s/o wet pouches only.

We will continue with the wet only vet diet and are adding water to each meal which he is accepting much better than we expected. We have decided not to ever reintroduce a dry food as he as always been very greedy with dry food and we worry it may put him off eating the wet diet we would prefer him to stick with.

We will continue with his new wet only urinary vet diet and the yurelieve capsules daily for life. We will also continue adding water to his food as well as trying to encourage him to drink more (easier said than done). After a bad 2 weeks we are hoping that he is over the worst of it and will continue to help him ensure it doesn’t occur again.

-Thank you for the advice on an alternative wet urinary diet, I suspect in time Leo will go off this new diet as he is a very fussy eater so it is good to have a backup option in mind for him.

Thank you all for your advice I will update this thread as we progress with Leo over the next few weeks. Sadly we had to learn the hard way that dry food is not a suitable diet for every cat.

18. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

So sorry he had a relapse. I remember they gave my boy some form of antidepressant for a while, he actually blocked twice but a different vet said it was because he hadn't had the antibiotics for long enough and gave him a 3 week course, after that he was fine. His was caused by stress though so I sorted out that too.

Fingers crossed that Leo will get better soon x

sar4h1 likes this.
  19. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am sorry to hear Leo has had such a bad time, poor fellow! It must have been very worrying for you. It does sound as though he is making some progress now, which is most encouraging to hear, and I very much hope he continues to do well with his recovery, bless him.

Sending many healing thoughts to Leo. Please let us know how he goes on. :)

sar4h1 likes this.
  20. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

Sending lots of healing vibes for Leo. Hugs!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice