UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :) im new to this forum and im just after a bit of advice about my kitty.

I believe Tilly (aka, Puss Puss), is over 8 weeks pregnant. Im not 100% sure of the date as it was a bit of an accident. I know, i know, hugely irresponsible of me, and believe me, i feel terrible about it.

She is a house cat and doesnt even like the outdoors so i put off having her spayed. Then she escaped for a night and returned at 4am :blink:

So anyway, the past week i thought she would be due to give birth. Yesterday morning she was spotting... kind of like watery brownish. This continued for a while and then it seemed to stop.
Today she is spotting again... maybe a tad thicker than yesterday but still just spotting, not like heavy bleeding or anything.

She seems fine in herself, running around, eating, drinking.
Her nipples are HUGE, her belly has dropped, she is being very affectionate and purring alot. And she keeps licking her back end.

But the bleeding is worrying me.... Has anyone experienced this and gone on to have healthy kittens and queen? or is it more likely she is miscarrying?

I would be devastated if its the latter, even though it wasnt planned, they are still little lives.

I dont think she has a large litter... i can only feel maybe 2 little lumps either side of her belly.

Can someone please offer any advice?

thankyou, and sorry about the long post

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
two things spring to mind here, first is its the mucus plug so kittens will be born soon.
the second is serious, its pyometra. now without worrying you my girl was 6 weeks pregnant when she had this so i knew it wasnt the plug, she had a dead kitten inside her and sadly an emergency neuter was done.

are you sure of the dates....this is very important.:) kittens can be born at 58 days and they will be fine.:)

the mucus plug is a bloody, brownish discharge.

·
Shunra Oriental Cats
15,551 Posts
Have you noticed the kittens moving? People can usually see or feel that during the last couple of weeks. If she's over 8 weeks she could simply be close to going into labour. Since she seems well in herself a pyometra is unlikely, but keep your eyes peeled for any sign of her feeling ill, though unhelpfuly they are fairly similar to imminent labour.

The other bit of advice - she can get pregnant again very soon after delivery, so you need to be very careful to not let her out until your vet will spay her. If she does get out, talk to the vet ASAP and ask for a immediate spay (like the next day) as the odds are she will get pregnant again. She can get pregnant in as little as 5 minutes outside...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou for your response!

I have read about the mucus plug... but ive also read that bleeding isnt usually normal after it :confused:

Im hoping its not pyometra :(

Im honestly not sure of the dates, i didnt even think to keep track of it as she didnt seem to be in heat when she escaped. It only occured to me she could be pregnant about 3 weeks later when her appetite increased dramatically.
I would say she is over the 7-8 week mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you noticed the kittens moving? People can usually see or feel that during the last couple of weeks. If she's over 8 weeks she could simply be close to going into labour. Since she seems well in herself a pyometra is unlikely, but keep your eyes peeled for any sign of her feeling ill, though unhelpfuly they are fairly similar to imminent labour.

The other bit of advice - she can get pregnant again very soon after delivery, so you need to be very careful to not let her out until your vet will spay her. If she does get out, talk to the vet ASAP and ask for a immediate spay (like the next day) as the odds are she will get pregnant again. She can get pregnant in as little as 5 minutes outside...
Thats another thing thats concerning me, i dont think ive ever felt the kittens move. Like i say, she seems perfect in herself other than that shes spotting.

I will most certainly be getting her done ASAP, i feel dreadful that i let this happen. Believe it or not, i do pride myself on being a responsible pet owner... talk about a lapse in judgement :nonod:

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
my cat wasnt ill nor had any other signs when she had pyometra.... i just noticed the bleeding and took her to the vets straight away, a scan revealed pyometra, my girl was happy playing and eating.

all i can really suggest is take your girl for a vet check.....a vet would normally check for free or they did last year.

is it a discharge all the time or just a little bit every now and again?

please dont worry, its probably the plug coming away. :)

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
whats done is done so we will need to help and advise you know so dont worry.
my first litter i didnt see any kitten movement and they was all ok.
wait until tomorrow and if you have kittens we will know its the plug, if the discharge continues i would advise a vet check to be sure.
any questions or if you are worried post, oh yes another thing is there yellow discharge aswell or is it just brown.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my cat wasnt ill nor had any other signs when she had pyometra.... i just noticed the bleeding and took her to the vets straight away, a scan revealed pyometra, my girl was happy playing and eating.

all i can really suggest is take your girl for a vet check.....a vet would normally check for free or they did last year.

is it a discharge all the time or just a little bit every now and again?

please dont worry, its probably the plug coming away. :)
Thankyou for replying.

I think the vet is my next port of call... its quite worrying that your cat had the same signs as mine :(

The spotting seems to be just now and again... I thought she was going to give birth last night as i checked her backend and her vagina seemed, well, open.
She slept next to my bed all night and seemed fine this morning...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
whats done is done so we will need to help and advise you know so dont worry.
my first litter i didnt see any kitten movement and they was all ok.
wait until tomorrow and if you have kittens we will know its the plug, if the discharge continues i would advise a vet check to be sure.
any questions or if you are worried post, oh yes another thing is there yellow discharge aswell or is it just brown.
Thankyou! I just feel awful... especially as im one of those people who tend to frown at 'irresponsible' pet owners. Maybe i'll be more understanding in future!

There is no discharge, nothing yellow or green. It started off as brownish but it seems to be getting abit more red today.
It doesnt smell as such... but if im honest, she usually has a stinky bum. God knows why, shes always had the best food!

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
can you just give the vet a call, if her vagina is swollen then she is in the early stages or labour. if the discharge has only been yesterday and today i would say you are looking at kittens tomorrow or wednesday.
what you dont want is to take her to the vet and she gives birth there, that will be stressful for her.
if you havent already done a nesting box do one now for her.
in a few days we will know either way what the discharge is. like i said before my girl was only 6 weeks so i knew she wasnt in labour but as you are very close to full term with your girl i do think early labour has started.
dont worry we will all help you. the rule is kitten photos once you get time.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thankyou for your help :)

I rang my vet and he said to keep an eye on her for a day or so and to bring her in if the spotting gets any worse. Quite vague advice I thought but I trust my vets, they've helped with my dogs tremendously in the past.

I've had a birthing box set up for her for the last 2 weeks, she hasn't shown any interest in it tbh, although she did sleep beside it last night when I put it near my bed.
Her vagina doesn't seem swollen as such, just more 'open' than usual.

I'm really hoping its just the start of her labour.

Everything I've read says there shouldn't be any bleeding but my vet didn't seem overly concerned...

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
thankyou for phoning the vet, it is best to ask their advise as on a forum we dont get the full story nor photos of what the discharge looks like.
this is the advise i expected from your vet and they would have known if it was pyometra so at least you can stop worrying.
nesting box they usually ignore it until active labour has begun so im not concerned over this.
so i guess your girl could be in early stages which can last 3 days, let us know when kittens are born.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope so! Well today is the 2nd day so hopefully by tomorrow I will know! But if there's any change in the spotting or her then its straight to the vet

She had a big fuss off me about half an hour ago... Now she's sitting behind my tv stand (glass corner unit) and scratching at the laminate floor :confused:
is this normal?? She's never scratched at the floor like that before

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think she's in labour! I called her out from behind the tv and put her in the box. She's been in there for about 15 minutes, she usually jumps straight out!
She's having what I presume to be contractions and licking her backend, taking big deep breaths! Eeeek!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.