Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my cat depressed!??!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Sezlou612, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Sezlou612

Sezlou612 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,
    Just wondered if anyone could give me some much needed advice about my 4 year old cat called leela, On Thursday my other cat Aimee passed away suddenly after being poisioned :( since then leela has been acting very unusual she's barely eating, goes out to come straight back in and she just sits In the middle of the room and does this very strange meow! I had both the cats from 6 week old kittens, and they were sisters,they were not overly affectionate with each other and sometimes they did fight,but have never been separated since birth!!but I'm wondering do cats morn when another cat passes away?? And if they do what can I do to make it easier for leela to adapt to the changes of being alone!!

Thank you
    Sarah.

2. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

I had a cat show signs of distress when her brother passed. I just spent as much time with her as possible.

3. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

Hi Sarah
    My Abby and Rebel were litter sisters and I had them both from 10 weeks old. When Rebel fell ill and died it took Abby months for her to accept her sister wasn`t coming home. I do believe they moarn and all you can do is to try and reassure leela. I found giving her more toys and lots more attention helps. This maybe a while before leela accepts it.

R.I.P Aimee

Steve

4. I do believe cats morn for each other whether they seem close or not. Sorry to hear about your cat that was poisoned. It may be worth taking your other cat to the vet to check she hasn't been poisoned aswell unless you know for sure she hasn't.

5. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

So sorry for your loss. Yes they do mourn for each other, at least my other cat did for his mate and no they were not related. Just give lots of love and attention, time will heal :)

6. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

When we got Sooty as a kitten Franklin was already 3. They ended up being best buds - they dlept curled up next to eachother and ate out the same bowl always. When Franklin passed away from CRF at the age of 15 Sooty was devastated, he barely ate for days, didn't even want his sweeties. He began eating a bit more every day but was constantly searching for Frankie, howling all the while. It took him months to completely stop mourning, searching and calling for Frankie. It was heartbreaking to see :(
    Give her lots of attention and eventually she will accept what has happened, although I can't possibly tell you how long it would take as all cats are different.

Sorry for your loss xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice