Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my cat a fat cat? Is he? PICS INCLUDED

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Parsa, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Parsa

Parsa PetForums Junior

Hi guys, I’m happy to report that the kitten (does not look like a kitten anymore) has settled extremely well in our house and is happy and, maybe, fat. Hahaha

I’m not sure how big a domestic shorthair is generally supposed to get, add to the fact that he’s still 7 months (kitten) all I’ve read on kitten feeding guide is to feed as much as they want.

I still make sure to have strict feeding times, I just add a little extra when he finishes it all off and asks for more, but I fear he maybe getting fat.

He weighed in today at 4.4KGS. I’m not sure why were supposed to feed them so much especially since obesity is a very serious issue with indoor cats.

I can barely feel his ribs so I am worried. E4AB61FF-5143-4C05-88A0-E7CED53E0B98.jpeg 5CD34E72-FE6D-452A-8FE3-9ED77ECBEB6B.jpeg DCB50114-A950-418C-B322-C37DCBEF7DEE.jpeg 741AF7CA-7FC6-418F-AB12-1DDAA10B3BE9.jpeg 3CE22267-CB5D-4A57-A5A8-5546C037BC99.jpeg E4AB61FF-5143-4C05-88A0-E7CED53E0B98.jpeg 5CD34E72-FE6D-452A-8FE3-9ED77ECBEB6B.jpeg DCB50114-A950-418C-B322-C37DCBEF7DEE.jpeg 741AF7CA-7FC6-418F-AB12-1DDAA10B3BE9.jpeg 3CE22267-CB5D-4A57-A5A8-5546C037BC99.jpeg E4AB61FF-5143-4C05-88A0-E7CED53E0B98.jpeg 5CD34E72-FE6D-452A-8FE3-9ED77ECBEB6B.jpeg E4AB61FF-5143-4C05-88A0-E7CED53E0B98.jpeg 5CD34E72-FE6D-452A-8FE3-9ED77ECBEB6B.jpeg DCB50114-A950-418C-B322-C37DCBEF7DEE.jpeg 741AF7CA-7FC6-418F-AB12-1DDAA10B3BE9.jpeg 3CE22267-CB5D-4A57-A5A8-5546C037BC99.jpeg

Douglas’ Dad, pennycat and Calvine like this.
  2. Parsa

Parsa PetForums Junior

Sorry for the repetitive pics!

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

No he is not fat. And kittens go through growth spurts. they might look chubby one day and almost emaciated the next lol. Sounds like you are feeding him just right. Wet diet, right?

Parsa likes this.
  4. Kirstd78

Kirstd78 PetForums Junior

Awww, hes gorgeous and doesn't look fat to me. I adopted 2 rescue kitties just before xmas, the youngest of which is an approx 7 month old little boy. He was a scrawny 3 kilos when he came but at his last vet trip last week has already gained 600g and is starting to fill out. It's taken a fair while to get to grips with their feeding as they came on Felix and kibble and with awful runny tummies, but I think we are getting there now with a combo of 2 x meals of raw, (purrform/minced chicks/homemade) and 1 meal of prepared wet food. He's a little gannet and will eat loads too but everyone says this slows down as they get older and stop growing?

Parsa likes this.
  5. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

He is very beautiful and looks spot on weightwise to me. At seven months he will still have some growing to do, but you will know if he's putting on too much weight. Lovely boy.

Parsa likes this.
  6. Parsa

Parsa PetForums Junior

@lorilu well that’s a relief, I thought he might get super chubby. I am feeding him a combo of wet and dry food. Both Royal canin gastrointestinal, I’ve tried twice to have him switched over to a different higher quality brand preferably feeding only wet but he’s got a sensitive stomach and I tried gradually changing his diet in 10 days instead of 7 and he still gets digestive issues.

I would feed him only RC gastro wet but honestly the veterinary food costs way way too much.

Speaking of which @Kirstd78 i would like to know if any of your kittens have sensitive stomachs and how they respond to eating raw. As much as I’m paying for the veterinary food I’d much rather take the plunge and dive into raw food.

7. Parsa

Parsa PetForums Junior

@Calvine I can’t imagine him getting any bigger! I don’t know if he’s considered a medium or large but I know he’s not getting as big as a Maine coon!

I’m trying to learn as much as I can about my kitten and since he’s a domestic shorthair the answers to my questions are mostly guesstimates on google. Till what age do they keep physically growing?

Calvine likes this.
  8. Kirstd78

Kirstd78 PetForums Junior

I don't know whether they have truly sensitive tummies but for the first 3 weeks with us they barely had a solid poo between them, I mentioned it to the vets when they were innoculated and was sold an expensive bag of that same dry cat food; RC Gastro. To be fair it did firm things up in a few days but I did some reading and decided to feed raw and haven't looked back. They have firm, smaller, less stinky poos and are doing well I think. I wont go 100% though as still want them to eat a prepared cat food for convenience etc, they seem to like Lily's kitchen, Bozita and Little big paws so far.

Parsa likes this.
  9. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

He looks ok on a body condition scoring front as far as I can tell.

What he weighs isn't an issue as cats can be different sizes. I have a guy who is 7.9kgs. And whilst he is too fat, he isn't as fat as that weight makes him sound.

The vet was impressed that he lost 300g since he was last weighed. Still pretty fat though...

Parsa likes this.
  10. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

He does look very mature for seven months; I was thinking that too . . . on the last photo he looks quite tall, but definitely not fat. My boys have grown up to the age of about one (!!) but they didn't grow as quickly as the first few months. And after that they all ''filled out'' a fair bit. Some more than others . . . hmm, hmm! The attached reached a mind-boggling 7kg (but he was a very big cat all round and was not excessively greedy.) Is your boy castrated already?

Attached Files:

11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I suggest you get rid of the kibble. It's just so bad for him. 3 wet meals a day. Gradually introduce new foods so you have a rotation of formulas he can tolerate. Yes it can take a long time. Use probiotics and s.bouardii to help. Not garbage vet diets. :) And kibble is just the worst thing.

Douglas’ Dad likes this.
  12. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

No, he doesn't look fat to me either - I'd say just about right:) I've always found paw size to be a good indicator of how large a cat might grow to - my Bertie has tiny paws which go with his 3.40 kg weight (he's 11 years old by the way) and a body condition score chart is better than judging by weight alone.

bodycondition_cat_new97187.jpg

I'd say your boy is within the "ideal" range of 4 - 5.

13. pennycat

pennycat PetForums Senior

Doesn’t look fat to me.

Was this just an excuse to post cute pics? ;)

Calvine likes this.
  14. Parsa

Parsa PetForums Junior

@Kirstd78 honestly at first I was also surprised how quickly the RC gastro worked he was fine the next day! It’s reassuring that your kittens are thriving on raw.

@lorilu I had such dreams of all the best wet foods I would give to my kitten and all of them completely shattered as soon as I found that he’s got one annoying sensitive stomach hahaha. Honestly, the only reason why I feed a mix rather than all wet food is the cost of RC gastro wet is quite high when you factor in the amount he needs to eat in a day, that’s also why I’ve been leaning more towards raw. I’ve done some generous calculations and my monthly costs would be slightly lower than what I’m paying now with the kibble. (i would be buying raw meals from a company here in Dubai)

As for wet foods, I feel less inclined on starting him on a wet food because I’ve read that cats generally need to eat more wet food per day than a raw diet because of the incredibly high protein. At this point I’m just trying to read up on raw as much as I can before I do the switch!

15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

My cats are raw fed as well. They both had digestive issues, the older one from eating one of those disgusting vet diets (the kibble) for the first 6 years of her life. They may seem to "work" at first, but they are extremely damaging to the cat's system in the long term. Mazy cat has been raw fed now for almost 9 years, but she will never be completely healed, her chronic vomiting while much improved over the years, is still chronic, she is 17 now..

Queen Eva, now 11, apparently was born with her digestive problems, I rescued her as a tiny baby (dumped in a parking lot) and all foods went right through her until I put her on raw when she was about 18 months old. (9 years ago as mentioned)

However my cats are on probiotics and s.boulardii as well, for life.

Parsa likes this.
  16. Parsa

Parsa PetForums Junior

@MilleD the way mine eats food I wouldn’t be surprised if he got up there too hahaha. I’m trying my best to keep him active, we have a child in the house that loves to follow the kitten and the kitten loves to walk away from her so atleast he’s getting some exercise.

@Calvine I agree! If it wasn’t for his baby teeth I wouldn’t believe that he’s 7 months old. To be fair, I’m still guessing it could be +/- 1 month because I read that kittens adult top and bottom teeth usually come in on the 5-6th months and I personally witnessed him go from having tiny baby teeth to full on vampire teeth. I feel like he might be half bengal because he has spots all over his belly so he may in fact grow much more. More kitten to adore!

@Bertie'sMum this scale was so helpful thankyou. I’m a new cat owner so I’m trying to be on top of everything from health to playtime. Make sure he’s a happy cat. Even when he attacks me at night

@pennycat i have been caught the concern was real but I could’ve posted just one pic instead of a bunch so who knows

Calvine and pennycat like this.
  17. Parsa

Parsa PetForums Junior

Well guess who’s definitely changing the diet by the end of this month, I bought a new pack of the vet diet 3 days ago but I’ll make sure to have him on either raw or some sort of wet food that is easy on sensitive stomachs! I’ll definitely buy the probiotics, and I don’t know what s.boulardii is but that’s nothing a quick google search can’t fix, I’m sure I’ll get that too. He’s still young and I’ve been giving him the RC Vet diet for about 2 months now and I’ve had him for 3 months so hopefully he wouldn’t need to be on medication for the rest of his life. He’s a rescue too so I have no idea what he had been eating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice