Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is my cat’s eye bleeding?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Empeewee, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Empeewee

Empeewee PetForums Member

Hi all,

I have an approximately six year old female Bengal who I’ve noticed seems to “get things stuck in her eye” too often for it to be normal. Particularly in the past, say, six months, I’ll look at her and she is looking back at me squinting one of her eyes. As far as I can remember it’s always one eye although I really can’t be sure because it’s been a while since I researched her eye.

Usually when it is squinty like this, I wipe it to try and help although it doesn’t and she usually doesn’t want me to; she pushes me away. When she has this squint, she also shakes her head in distress and also flicks the corresponding ear as though the whole side of her face either itches or stings - possibly like she is trying to get something out of her eye. She rarely touches it with her paw, I hope this doesn’t mean that it hurts to touch.

Sometimes when I wipe her eyes (even when they’re apparently fine) there is some deep brown discharge which looks red when smudged. I’ve read somewhere this is normal (?) although I haven’t been able to find that article since and when I google it, entirely unrelated things come up. I wiped her eye just now and it seems to be red, bright blood red, not dark.

This to me just isn’t normal. My dog also has tear stains which sometimes seem red (she’s an old girl, vet said she’s fine). I don’t know when my cat last saw a vet, as I’m not the one in charge of her care (unfortunately), and we have to take her to a charity as our local free service won’t see her because she is a pedigree and we already have a pedigree registered. This charity is overrun with cats upon cats so I don’t 100% trust that they aren’t rushing her examinations, as usually she just goes in for her vaccinations. Can someone please tell me what this could be, and how urgent it is that she see a vet?

If it really is urgent I will assure that she is taken. It doesn’t seem likely to be an injury as she isn’t a very active cat and this is on and off - she’s had it before over the years but much more frequently recently. I’m fed up of looking at my cat and seeing what appears to be distress. I’ll upload pics if necessary but her eye may have stopped squinting by now.

Thanks for any advice :(.

#1 Empeewee, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I would always get any eye problems looked at by a vet as soon as possible. There are so many things it could be from a virus to damage to her eye. Get a vet's appointment as soon as possible. It may be something minor, or nothing at all but it isn't worth the risk to her eyesight to leave it.

3. Saffy Cat

Saffy Cat PetForums Member

I think you should take her to a vet straight away! Understand you are not in charge of her care and there might be issues with money but it could become a much bigger problem.

That you mentioned the word distress twice rang alarm bells for me. Cats are normally pretty good at hiding issues.

chillminx and buffie like this.
  4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Things can be going on behind the eye which are serious to definitely see a vet asap. I know as my own cat has had eye problems recently.

Forester and buffie like this.
  5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As the others have said you should never ignore any eye problems.
    She needs to see a vet asap.

Forester likes this.
  6. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

Eyes are very fragile and damage to them is excruciatingly painful. Please do whatever you have to in order to get her seen by a vet asap.

7. Empeewee

Absolutely. She once ran into a car engine hiding from a dog, and burnt some of her paw pads off. I mean OFF. And we didn’t notice for a good 18 hours because she was showing no symptoms other than being a bit quieter than usual. So I agree with that last part big time. Thank you

Saffy Cat and chillminx like this.
  8. Empeewee

Out of interest, were your cat’s symptoms anywhere reminiscent of mine?

9. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

No @Empeewee. My cat was referred to a vet ophthalmologist and was diagnosed with uveitis. The symptoms were change in colour of the iris and the pupil enlarged. Have you managed to get to a vet today? It may be that as this recurs she needs a thorough examination of the front and back of the eye.

10. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Her symptoms sound a bit like those that one of my cats previously had. I can only recommend a vet as soon as you can. The squinting is probably because of discomfort and it won't get better on its own.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice