Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is Mukhatar Correct In His Thinking?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zaros, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

2. MrsZee

MrsZee Guest

I believe this question is something we all should think how we would describe it. It is so easy to ignore one´s personal prejudices and stereotyping, that sometimes only a concrete example reveals to us how prejudiced we actually are. I admit that first I would have classified this as a hate crime, but had it been the other way around, I might have accepted the word "terrorism" . Still, I totally agree that this horrendous attack would have been headline news had the victim been white.

3. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I don't think I'd class this as terrorism whichever way round it was. It seems too personal.

But the choice of 'weapon' feels like it was deliberate considering the prevalence of acid attacks in south Asian countries where patriarchal societies exist.

So maybe he was going for terrorism.

Jamesgoeswalkies and LinznMilly like this.
  4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I've never known a terror attack to be as person-specific as this. I think the police have labelled it correctly - it's hate crime, not a terror attack. And that would be my opinion whatever the race/nationality/religious differences between victim and attacker.

Or does he suggest that we redefine as terror attacks, any and all violent attacks inflicted on people of different backgrounds to the attacker? Regardless of whether it was a 1-on-1 attack, or 1 on 100s or 1000s?

It is, however, worth pointing out that these 2 victims aren't the only ones to suffer from this sort of horrific attack:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/30/man-jailed-for-hate-attack-on-muslim-women-in-london

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...sian-residents-race-hate-crimes-a7821701.html

The attack in Finsbury Park, OTOH, was a terror attack. IMHO.

#4 LinznMilly, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  5. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I've read that the acid attacks which are on the rise in London differ to most other parts of the world in that more men are targeted than women. It seems that the gang warfare going on there has picked up on this lovely thing to do to each other.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  6. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Yes, I read similar. Apparently super easy to make, so gangs are now arming themselves with squeezy bottles :(

MilleD likes this.
  7. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

See, that would be quite a funny image if it wasn't so serious.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  8. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Do you think they have a squeezy bottle ranking? Fairy would totes be top

9. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Hmm, maybe not the new shape. But we all know that this was the mother.

[​IMG]

MiffyMoo and lullabydream like this.
  10. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

You know i wondered how they where using acid to attack someone, it just came to me that its not exactly an attacker friendly weapon and why anyone would decide to use it over another weapon.

11. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I suspect it's something to do with it being incapacitating but unlikely fatal. I guess if someone goes to do a robbery armed with a knife and someone resists, they have to be prepared to use that knife and accept the consequences which may be a murder charge.

This way, they get what they went for but the upshot is less likely to be a murder charge if things go south.

12. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

True, you get maximum squeazage from the round bottles that fit perfectly in your hand

13. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Ok, desperately trying to dredge up what I picked up from dating a criminal lawyer 10 years ago. I think that if you go armed with a knife and anything happens, then a good lawyer can get you done for GBH with intent, which, I think, is basically the same as attempted murder.

I could be way off the mark there though

14. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Just seems odd, i mean a knife you can carry for self defense with no real intent to use (you shouldn't of course) but a bottle of acid surely means you intend to harm someone and should be a greater sentence, i mean its premeditated.

15. SpringDance

SpringDance PetForums VIP

At the risk of sounding odd... I don't like outright discussions of how to actually use or make these types of weapons. You never know who might stumble across the onto and use it (although I know there's loads out there, this forum could introduce ideas to someone who might not think to search for it).

<paranoid>

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice