Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is liver needed in raw diet?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lyceum, May 22, 2010.

1. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Swapped the boys to raw, all going great besides Novak seemingly being allergic to liver. It's a bit confusing, I'm feeding DAF minces and I believe the chicken ones have chicken liver in then, which he's been 100% fine with.

He's always thrown up any form of liver he'd had in the past, but with him being great on the minces I picked up some liver, washed it and gave them a tiny amount this morning (gave him it before his morning feed just in case he brought it up), sure enough twenty minutes later it was back on the carpet, he didn't try to eat it again or anything, just had some water and went for a lie down. Bailey was fine thankfully.

Gave them breakfast an hour later, which went down great, as usual.

Now, since I'm new to raw I've read a lot saying liver is very important, so what can I do now? Since it doesn't seem to agree with Novak.

Is there anything else I can give him instead?

2. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Any other offal is ok, lungs, heart, kidneys. Liver not necessary as long as one of the others are there

3. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Thanks.

I know the DAF minces have pretty much everything in, so will there be enough offal in those? Or should I supplement.

No problems with supplementing if need be, just don't want to give too much and cause problems that way.

I can't wait till I know exactly what I'm doing with raw feeding lol.

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Sorry, I don't usually post in the dog section but found this thread interesting. So I hope you won't mind me butting in....

I would disagree re the liver - liver is an essential part of a raw diet as it is a great source of Vit A and E. However, that is a moot point if your cat is allergic to it. :)

IMO, before you can supplement the DAF minces you will need to see whether they will send you any analysis data they may have as well as the exact proportions of their ingredients. Unless you know what is already in them then it is going to be really hard for you to know how much to supplement or you risk supplementing too much.

5. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Thank, I'll send them an email and ask for the breakdown.

So what do you suggest I do since liver is a no go for him?

6. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

ps what is DAF??

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Have you tried codliver oil - he is ok with that?

According to the FSA, these following are all sources of Vitamin A: cheese, cream cheese, eggs, oily fish (such as mackerel), milk, fortified margarine and yoghurt.

8. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

Durham Animal feeds :)

You need the vits out of the liver but i suppose you can supplement some how.

Did you get chicken livers ?

#8 julianne, May 22, 2010
    Last edited: May 22, 2010
  9. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

To be honest, no idea what type of liver, my mum picked them up for me. But every time he's had liver anything in the past it's come back up.

He's had cod liver oil and was fine, and I'm damn sure the DAF chicken minces have everything, liver and all in, and he's been fine with that. So I've no idea what's going on to be honest lol. He likes to be awkward.

10. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

Have you tried cutting it up into really small pieces and disguising it in his meal ?

11. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

So I could maybe give him egg instead?

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I guess you could - the yolk in particular is loaded with Vit A

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice