Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

is lemon water ok? for puppy?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by sunnyej, Jun 26, 2009.

1. sunnyej

sunnyej PetForums Member

i got a 6 week old GSD

mom droped some accidently and he licked 1 or 2 tounges i picked him after that

he does not drink water

is it ok for a pup to drink lemon water i mean is it safe?

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Is it water with lemon juice or lemon flavoured water?

If it's lemon flavoured water I would say no, the artificial sugar could kill him.

I'm not sure about lemon juice though.

Apparently people use lemon juice as a deterrant to dogs barking:

I would check with your vet to be sure though :)

3. sunnyej

sunnyej PetForums Member

its home made lemon water

u cut and squease lemon in water like 1 lemon per glass

thats all

is it safe?

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I would say it's okay, but just to be sure, wait for someone with more experiece to answer :) x

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I wouldn't make a habit of giving a puppy anything other than water. Lemons I'm quite sure are high in citrus and natural sugar, so prob not best for puppy.
    If you are worried about him not drinking then get some lactol puppy formula from your vet or pet shop.

x

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

See, I knew someone more well informed would stop by :D

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Well informed Lol I don't know where I get the ability to think straight this early, especially after hardly any sleep.

x

8. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Know the feeling, I've been up all night again xx

9. Cannot see a problem! as lemon can be used for overheating in dogs - see below!

am however confused that you say he does not normally drink water!!!
    What does he normally drink??

How to deal with overheating:

Lower his body temperature: Always ensure that you have ice to hand during the summer months. Pour cold water over your dog, especially around his head, rub ice around his head and under his tail (around his rectum). If possible stand him in a cold bath and keep going with the ice until the breathing is less laboured.
    Clear the airway: Squirt some lemon juice (from one of those plastic lemon shaped bottles that you squirt on your pancakes) into the back of his throat, he will hate you for it, but the lemon juice will quickly break up the excess foam and clear the throat. Do not allow him to drink a lot of water as this can cause him to vomit.
    Keep him calm: Once you have reduced his panic keep him in a quiet place and keep a close eye on him.
    If this doesn’t work then you need to get to a vet as quickly as possible - put a cold damp towel under him for the journey

Brachycephalic dogs overheat quickly because of the shape of their throats, their soft palates are almost always too long and when they get very hot they cannot pant sufficiently to keep their body temperature down, their attempts to pant quickly cause the production of foam which in turn blocks the throat and causes laboured breathing and eventually they will begin to roar as they try to breath through the blockage

DT

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Morning DT, I think he was feeding him on puppy milk x

Nice to see you back :)

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Great post DT.
    I'm not sure if the OP meant just the lemon juice the puppy drank of if they wanted to keep giving it to the puppy?
    I wouldn't think the drop he drank would hurt, but wouldn't let the puppy drink it all the time.

xx

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I think he wants to mix the juice with the water to try and encourage the pup to drink :)

13. sunnyej

sunnyej PetForums Member

ty guys. yea im giving him puppy milk ... but once again im unsure ..ima ask the vet :p as well to have second opinion :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice