Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

is it true?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by vickieb, Apr 14, 2011.

1. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

that the most popular age for people to 'give up' on their dogs and put them in a shelter for re-homing is 5/6 months?

Personally I can see why as we are having a tough time with our Black Boy Lab at the moment...... but would never give up on him..... :eek:

He is a swine at the mo!!!! Unless he is sleeping and then he is just lovely :D

2. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Dogs do tend to hit their difficult period at that age...I remember when Oscar went from perfecto-puppy to little horror in a matter of days! He just stopped listening, and pushed the boundaries as far as he could. Most people tend to think you get all this stuff out of the way when they're small pups, but they do seem to have a rebellious streak later on. Sad really...I'd never give up on a dog just for that.

3. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Our's were both private rescues and both at 10 months old.

People dont realise these cute puppies grow big and boisterous dogs, that they still want walks in the rain and frankly are expensive to keep.

I am not going to lie Makita nearly had me in tears earlier in the week and my shoulder was (and still is ) killing after he saw a cat and nearly ripped it from my socket. I am getting horrendous looks from most other dog walkers because frankly he is to big to be getting excited and pulling to meet other dogs.. I can know see exactly why people gave up on him. ( I say people as I now know we are home number 3 or 4).

BUT we have been through the same with Millie when she was younger, we will take one day at a time. We will have good days and bad days but only time / routine and training will enable him to change.

The problem is people want the 'perfect' family dog - This takes time and effort to achieve of which so many people cant be bothered, get bored of the rebellious dog and pass it on. (Sorry a topic which really winds me up!)

My aim is to be able to take Makita to the Hula Charity dog show (near MK)next month (Fingers crossed!) but we have alot to work on until then. :)

4. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

I don't know about facts and figures, but I know I see lots of collies on the rescue sites aged between 6 months and 2 years. As a result, I've always thought that was the age when most people give up. The saddest part to me is that you get the feeling the dogs are a problem to them because they didn't put any effort into training in the first place :(
    I sympathise with you at the 6 month stage! I found the first year incredibly stressful, love him to bits but I'm so glad he's a grown up now!

5. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

simple comparison - ask people with a teenage child "have you ever wanted to just give up on them just now?"

sadly is is easier and socially speaking more acceptable to give up on a dog going through their 'teenage' stage - especially as puppies bought for christmas hit this stage as everyone is home for the holidays and it is now an inconvienience and they have to find somewhere to 'park the blummin dog' whilst they jet off to spain etc

they begin to hit sexual maturity and girls attract all the boys, boys become holy terrors as they suddenly realise what girls are for

and they no longer have the 'cute puppy' factor or the novelty factor

I hate people

6. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

Funny you should say this, as this is what I said last night..... He is just like a teenager saying NO I WONT!!! DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO *slam door

New plan... count to 10, breath (have a wine) then work out how to get round situations. :D

7. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

I find bribary and distractions the best methods :p

I grew up with labs, my family had labs, I learnt to walk hanging off a lab's ear... I worked with springers and goldies in the hills of Scotland doing gun work... I considered myself an 'experienced gundog person'

then I got Max the springer spaniel

he destroyed my house, bit everyone, humped a blanket till his 'lil guy' was raw and bleeding (poor vet was soo embarressed)

many books, a behaviourist and billions of hours of hard work and he was a fantastic dog - never easy and we could never relax, he was far too 'mentally energetic' for us to slack on his training and exercise but we never gave up on him and lost him peacefully to old age.

We are now going through lab rescues for the stroppy teenagers (6 months - 3 years) that need the work and training to adopt a new member of the family but hopefully with a slightly lower mental drive than Max - also labs way more food orientated than he was on the whole so easier to distract.

Fingers crossed we'll also find a steady older dog to act as a calming companion - if personalities match.

8. Sheen and Eli

Sheen and Eli PetForums VIP

My Loki is 11 months old and to say hes a nightmare is an understatement.( I also have a 13 year old son they are one and the same)
    On monday I had a panic attack coming home from school because I knew I would walk in to find some distroyed object. So deep breath new tactic rub all toys with garlic and yummy oil, fingers crossed its working.
    Just been stood over the fields lovely work and at the last minute he hares of out the river and away, other dog in the river none the wiser me running off hoping and praying no one is around (hes not vicious just over excited) Another deep breath going to get a strong extendable and limit him, ask husky owners what to do to exercise on lead.
    He's in the other room right now jumping all over the sette and barking, if I go in there I might kill him. So deep breath off to the kitchen and kettle on.
    My sister always used to say to her Lab your off to Jerry Greens, like go to your room. Shes 10 now and it stopped eventually.
    My mantra "He'll grow out off it, one day!"

Sssh hes just nodded off :001_smile:

9. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

sometimes i can see if being the education on the "owners" thats the problem they see dogs that are well behaved say yeah thats easy and then find JUST how difficult it can be to train some dogs or how long it takes.

yeah i can do that by xx weeks but when they can't then they give up.

It takes months or training as well all know here and then years of reinforcing that training. Likes kids they will test the limits and see if the boundries have moved at all.

10. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I think it is about right.
    Alot of people will see a cute puppy, want it and get it... but then as it grows and it rebels, or they simply haven`t put any training and effort in, the pup then gets passed on.

Not always to the shelters, but ads in free papers/websites or even just passed on to a neighbour/friend.

I am always amazed at people who say... for sale, as its outgrown the house :blink: how could they not know the dog was going to grow that big ???
    Or 6 month pup for sale, due to newborn baby ... they must have known they were prg when they brought the pup OMG grrrrr

11. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Puppies are like..toddlers and teenagers, you buy your puppy and it is YOU that have to make that puppy into a perfect dog, you dont rehome your kids so why would they re-home their dogs, toddlers get into so much trouble and are into everything..so is a puppy, teenagers become cheeky and dont listen and push the boundries...so do puppy's. It is up to us owners to teach our pets right from wrong and just like kids puppy's love praise. The other thing is...puppy's are so cute when you go to see them, but these cute little bundles of joy grow up and become big dogs (some) and each breed comes with different behaviour problems and health problems, not something alot of people read up about before going out and buying their Perfect Puppy.

12. paşa's mummy

paşa's mummy PetForums Member

i always thought the most common age was 18 month< no idea why tho ill have read it somewhere. my GSD pup is 7 month now and she is deffinatly pushing us all the way, she has even taken to sitting at the top of the stairs with her back to us if she doesnt get her own way:eek: however i love her more then anything in this world and when she finally does do something i ask her to i feel really proud and it makes it all worth it. she seems to feel the need to let every dog know she is in the park at the mo and barks the min she sees another< its not aggressive although cos of her size some people do give us a wide birth. i just think back to how i was as a teenager and keep telling myself it wont last forever. :D

13. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

Most dogs in rescues tend to be during their adolescent stages, unfortunately. I mean, you wouldn't abandon your son or daughter just because they are hitting the teenage years, would you? You just need to keep a level head and work on the problems day by day and seek help. There's nothing wrong with seeking advise from people, yet some can't even bring themselves to take a dog to a rescue personally because they are too embarrassed and, thus, end up letting the dog off stray. :mad:

14. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I would think its between 6 and 18mths is the worst ages to be honest. With sibes the most usual time seems to be 9 to 18mths, or it used to be.
    I suppose some breeds develope faster or slower than others, so that would probably play a part too.

15. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Jacks at the teenage stage just now but I wouldn't give up on him. Just means I have to be stricter and not give in as easily. He's really trying his luck when it comes to grooming because the second he is bored of getting brushed it suddenly becomes painful :rolleyes: He's doing the same when he's out in the garden running about. I used to shout 'stay' at him so I could go put his lead on but now he stays until I'm in reaching distance then just runs off.

16. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

I can well believe that this is true. We struggled with Bella when she was about this age with barking. However months of hard work has really paid off. She is nearly 2 now and a real superstar. I would have NEVER given her up. Cant believe people do. :mad:

17. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

i don't know about other breeds but Dalmatians are very puppy like until they are 2 years old and it is only then they start to calm down.

and still they are high engery bouncy balls of fun.

so for the first 2 years of a dallies life you pretty much have a fully grown puppy! Its hard work like all breeds but would i ever give any of them up No i wouldn't

However the kids yeah i might rehome them they keep it up like they have been the last couple of days! lol (well i threaten too anyway!) ;)

Back to a serious note. I think there needs to be MORE education and MORE training to people out there that want pets and sadly it looks like it falls to the responisb;e breeders and the Responsible pet owners to do this! It is a battle to fight but its a slow slow one. and its not going to be easy to win but i for one like most here are up for the challegene :D

18. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Puppies have lost their cute factor by about 6 months so some people discard them because they dont really want a dog, others struggle on for months and then discard them so I suppose 6 to 18 months must be the most common time to give up on a dog.
    Candy is the first dog (of very many) that I have seen any change in at all as she hit teenage and this only affected running off, she was still very well mannered in all other aspects.
    Toffee has no natural good manners and is still exactly the same now she is 8 months - but she has a reliable recall and no other manners!

19. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

oh yes. my willow is a year old now & most of that time has been pure hell :rolleyes: she has seen a behaviourist, a vet & had training classes yet still she was the spawn of satan :eek: she was at one point vicious & attacked me daily, had me crying frequently.

people told me often that i should get rid of her cos she is too much work. my reply? she didnt ask to come live with me- i fell in love with her so she is my responsibility to make her a happy pupster. i adored her from day one & that stll stands

20. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I think people prepare themselves for the puppy stage then look straight to the days when the training has been done and they have calmed down they dont see or dont prepare themselves for that period inbetween, which in my opinion is the most difficult if you have a dog that goes through the teenage phase been difficult.

Ok we had to give up on 1 of ours years ago and he was only young but that was more extreme, not just been a difficult teenager.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice