Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

is it too soon...

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Lucy1012, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Lucy1012

Lucy1012 PetForums Senior

We have decided that Tallulah is our best candidate to tentatively try for our next litter once all the anti b's are done and dusted. The reason for this as she is a productive mother, she feeds and cleans but is not clingy.. once the kittens are 12 hours old she only ever returns to feed and clean she doesn't stay with them and god forbid should it go horribly wrong we feel she would cope better. however she is already on her 2nd call, we can't put her to Arthur for at least 3more weeks... Her kittens are 12 weeks and she self weaned at 7 weeks once we took over when they were poorly. She is podgy and healthy.. I am not comfortable with the back to back litter but I really do feel an experienced mum with as little emotional attachment as she appears to have is the right move...

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Personally I think you should wait until every single one of your cats has been clear of abs etc for a few weeks before you start again.

3. Lucy1012

Lucy1012 PetForums Senior

ideally I would like to wait till about july but I am worried about leaving her to call.. I have tried the pressure thing but no luck she has come back in 2 weeks on the dot...

4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I have no problem with a back to back mating, then a rest or early retirement. Sometimes it needs to be done rather than risk health. If that's what the question was.

Perhaps preventative ab's for the first week after mating, and again before birth.

5. sharonbee

sharonbee PetForums VIP

I wouldn't put her to stud again so soon if her kittens are only twelve weeks old at the moment, I would feel it is much too soon, but that is just my opinion I know others will differ.
    Our girl had a litter on Valentines Day and we are thinking of putting her back to stud around October/November unless she has too many calls and then would take her sooner but as yet she hasn't had another call thankfully, she is a noisy little thing as it is, never stops talking day or night. lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice