UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv found a breeder of siberian kittens and have put my name down for when her next litter is born.

i feel really guilty though because prince has only been gone a week. i miss him so much and could never replace him,but i desperatly want another kitten. for those who have lost cats how long did you wait before getting another cat ?

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
There is no such thing as too soon, getting another cat does not mean you loved Prince any less. I firmly believe that if you can offer a loving home and it makes you feel better then its win win.

Am I right in thinking you have a daughter? I am sure she would love a new friend to take the edge off of missing Prince. It won't be the same cat but thats fine. Good for you, I hope you don't have too long to wait.

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
There is no 'right time', that varies from person to person. Some, like myself, cannot bear to get another cat for months and months. Others, like you, miss that cat shaped hole so desperately that they have to provide a loving home for a new feline friend much sooner.

You know that the new kitten will never replace Prince- nothing can, and nothing will- but who's to say you're making a decision 'too soon', if it will help heal a broken heart?

Do what you feel is right, and you will always win :) xX

·
Don't do nothing. Do something.
7,159 Posts
Also, at different moments in your life, you will be ready sooner than at others. Bear in mind that your kitten isn't even born yet and by the time it is you will feel very different.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
As Aurielie said, it is never too soon. In fact I was emailing and receiving photos of my new babies the day my dear 15 year old Luci was pts!

I miss Luci every day ( doesn't help seeing the lovely Spooks photos daily miss Jordan) but knowing I was starting a new chapter with these 4 week old babies helped me an awful lot and gave me something positive to focus on.

You do what feels right for you. Hugs to you and your daughter x

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
I lost Mikki a couple of months ago to renal failure, she was only 4 years old and the vet could not find a reason for it. Like you I think it was about a week after I lost her I went on FB to look at the picture I had put on there of her, and steverags had put some pics of his kittens on there, I really thought they had all found homes so I had a look on his website and there were 2 kittens left, my hubby called Steve and the rest is history. I could never replace Mikki and I still miss her like crazy but Simba has helped me a lot, as he has kept me very busy. I still look in the airing cupboard Mikki's favourite place in case I shut her in but of course she is not there. But as I say Simba has helped me enormously. I hope this has helped

Viv xx

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I think you just know when it's right for you. When Henry died I realised the house felt so empty that I would want another. I started looking, thinking it would take a while, but Bibi popped up when I was looking, and she moved in within 2 months of Henry dying.

my vet was sensitive and wise enough to describe Bibi as a new companion, not a replacement. They are the same breed but very different. I love them as much as each other but in different ways. But the similarities and differences between them both is startling.

If you are going into it with eyes open it will be fine (be prepared to use the wrong name and feel guilty etc) but on balance it was the best thing i could have done.

·
Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks
14,968 Posts
Only you will know and feel when the time is right. Please don't feel guilty, of course no other cat will replace Prince, he will always have a special place in your heart.

It will be 4 years in December that I had my beloved Tim pts :( I love and miss him as much today as when he first went to rainbow bridge :(

The house felt so empty and I wanted to fill that emptiness with the love of another cat. I adopted Frankie 3 weeks after Tim went to rainbow bridge, he will never replace Tim but I love him just as much.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I think sometimes the loss of a pet leaves a big 'gap' in your life - this gap needs filling. You won't replace your Prince but you can fill your gap.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you all for your replies. i think my heads still all over the place . i will forever feel responsible for his death,he was an indoor cat who managed to get out and the consequenses were fatal.i was always so anxious to keep him in so part of me thinks i cant cope with another indoor cat incase it happens again.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
thank you all for your replies. i think my heads still all over the place . i will forever feel responsible for his death,he was an indoor cat who managed to get out and the consequenses were fatal.i was always so anxious to keep him in so part of me thinks i cant cope with another indoor cat incase it happens again.
I think you have to be realistic and accept that it was an accident and is incredibly unlikely to happen again. Is there anything you could do to make yourself feel reassured that it wouldn't happen again?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Oh no. It's just one of those things, not your fault at all.

You CAN cope and you WILL cope when the time is right for you. The right cat will appear for you to give a lovely life to - just like you did with Prince

Be kind to yourself. It's a raw time,

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
were moving house in 2 weeks and we are going to make a cat enclosure before the kitten arrives which i think will help. as we have such a busy house i need to know theres somewhere completly safe where they can go. i keep telling myself its bad luck next doors cat is out 24/7 and has been for years. yet prince gets out and is ran over literally in front of our house.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I like to be surrounded by cats so I never see anything as a replacement, merely the next generation!! When we lost one of our mogs last May, that led us to research Burmese, a breed I had owned growing up! We expected to have to wait but an excellent breeder happened to have one boy available and after I had gone through the most thorough application known to man (!!!), he was ours just a few weeks after Mojo died!

Weirdly, he shares some strange little quirks that Mojo had, leading us to firmly believe that the spirit lives on!!

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
were moving house in 2 weeks and we are going to make a cat enclosure before the kitten arrives which i think will help. as we have such a busy house i need to know theres somewhere completly safe where they can go. i keep telling myself its bad luck next doors cat is out 24/7 and has been for years. yet prince gets out and is ran over literally in front of our house.
It is very bad luck and a complete accident, no ones fault at all. Prince was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. He probably got out there and was so bewildered with all this new environment he just ran out into the road, not knowing what it was and the dangers. :( Cats that are out 24/7 become wise to moving traffic and some manage to dodge it all their lives.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
When I lost two of mine within 24 hrs I was so devastated. My little kitty Chloe was left on her own and so within two days I was searching the internet for another little one. I remember crying my eyes out as I was looking and my Hubby trying to comfort me.
We found Archie and he has helped us all so much. I don't know how I would have managed without him.
I miss my two so much and I am sure one day we will meet up again.

So If you feel it is the right time, don't feel guilty. I am sure Prince would not want you to be sad and lonely.

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
And some don't....
My Spetter crossed the road so many times it was no surprise he got run over, but there was no keeping him indoors. He was an outdoor cat before we got him and never wanted to be anything else.....

I felt desperately guilty for allowing to go out, but in the end I realized I had only allowed him to lead the kind of life he loved. I got a cat that was totally different from him, but now, nearly 2 years later, I got a cat born on the very day Spetter died......

And when my little baby boy Gaudi was dying from FIP, I saw Spetter cross the street right before my eyes, in the exact spot where he was killed, on the morning of the day Gaudi died. Spetter knew it was Gaudi's time and had come to fetch him.

Some things are just meant to be.....
Our departed cats do indeed live on.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thank you all so much for your kind words it really does mean a lot,as i dont feel i can talk to anyone as my sister in law has just lost her mum so of course me losing prince is insignificant to everyone which i understand but its nice to be able to speak about him on here.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
And some don't....
My Spetter crossed the road so many times it was no surprise he got run over, but there was no keeping him indoors. He was an outdoor cat before we got him and never wanted to be anything else.....

I felt desperately guilty for allowing to go out, but in the end I realized I had only allowed him to lead the kind of life he loved. I got a cat that was totally different from him, but now, nearly 2 years later, I got a cat born on the very day Spetter died......

And when my little baby boy Gaudi was dying from FIP, I saw Spetter cross the street right before my eyes, in the exact spot where he was killed, on the morning of the day Gaudi died. Spetter knew it was Gaudi's time and had come to fetch him.

Some things are just meant to be.....
Our departed cats do indeed live on.
that is something very special jiskefet

I realised the other day Molly and Milo were born the day Luci was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism Dec 17th

there is something there ...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.