Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is it too early to talk poop?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by TheJockess_&_WeeAngus, Jun 3, 2010.

1. TheJockess_&_WeeAngus

TheJockess_&_WeeAngus PetForums Junior

Morning all,

I know it's not a nice topic of conversation, but......... Is there such a thing as doggy doodoo's being too hard??

I've agonised for months to get Angus on a diet that agreed with his sensitive tummy. I tried Pedigree complete and Bakers complete - both gave him the runs (yes I know, yuk sorry). After a bit of research on PF I discovered Skinners F&T, hypoallergenic (I think thats the right word). I know this is for working dogs, but in theory his breed is from the working lines. He was on boiled chicken & rice for a week to settle his stomach then I gradually added Skinners of a period of 4 days and woohoo, it agreed with him. He's been on Skinners for the last month or so, but in the last day, his morning poop seems really hard and almost crumbles when I pick it up (eeesh). But I have to add, around 5 or 6pm it tends to become hard to pick up (very soft I mean).

Is this normal?

Debs x :)

2. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

im no expert but i sure if it starts to get runny at the end of the day you might be overfeeding him....

3. TheJockess_&_WeeAngus

Right...... I've just recently cut his meals down fom 3 a day to 2 - Do you think I've maybe done this too early? He's nearly 6 months old.

4. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

i wouldnt say so but im not an expert i just go by how the dog reacts to the changes...... only you know what your dog is eating and how he reacts to certain changes so just keep a eye on him and see what happens as long as its not dangerous

5. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I would say 2 meals is just fine now myself.
    Its great he now has solid poos!! well done.
    I wouldnt worry too much just yet,hes not been on the food that long has he,it may take a little time to settle down.Does he have any treats during the daytime?

6. TheJockess_&_WeeAngus

Yes he does have treats, but only very small ones for training purposes.

7. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Maybe have a look at whats in the treats or try some different ones,they may not suit or be too rich.What are you using for treats?

8. TheJockess_&_WeeAngus

I'm using bakers bacon sizzlers chopped up into small pieces as they're really smelly :). I sometimes I chop up some cheese but it doesn't seem smelly enough :lol: maybe I should try mature hahaha

9. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I would try and find a more gentle treat.What you could do is find some sample bags of a food similar to his own (a different make will make it interesting) and use those for treats.Make sure you make allowances for the amount of treats when you give him his feeds.You could also make some treats ,if you have a good ventilation system in your kitchen..pheww!

10. Pixie2010

Pixie2010 PetForums Senior

My pup has gone from very soft to what seems very hard but as no change in diet and no discomfort am just hoping it's normal!

11. TheJockess_&_WeeAngus

I've just got back from the pet shop and the owner of the shop said that in most cases when their poop goes really hard is sometimes means too much calcium!

Well........... :eek:: I forgot........ My mother in-law roasted a ham bone for him and he had it yesterday!!! When he said that, it clicked. :rolleyes:

So thank you to all you lovely ppl for suggesting ideas to help resolve my pups stools textures :lol:

Debs x

12. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

hello, just seen this thread - just to check then, did he have a COOKED ham bone then? please please please dont ever feed cooked bones. they can be very dangerous, as cooking causes them to become brittle and they can splinter inside the dog causing all sorts of problems.

on reading your first post i was going to say the crumbling sounds like my own dogs poop when she has had a bone meal - this is perfectly normal, as long as they are not rock solid, as this would mean too much bone - which can result in an impaction of the bone in the intestine which may need to be surgically removed.

so if you feed bones please only feed them RAW and not too much at a time :) hope that is useful!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice