UK Pet Forums Forum banner

is it time to say goodbye to his nuts oh hazlenuts?

720 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  lizzyboo 
#1 ·
radley has been fine right up until now... he is still fully intact but i am now wondering if its time to book him in for the op.

a few weeks ago he got growled at by a cocker spaniel but to be fair it wasnt unprovoked, radley likes to have a good old sniff at other dogs and i think he overstepped the mark with this particular one and he was put in his place.

a couple of days later he was on the lead and a fat little dog waddled up to radley and for no obvious reason (other than radley was on the lead) started to snap and growl at him (slightly x as owner didnt call dog back) radley then retaliated as one would maybe expect and it nearly came to a haye v klitscho senario.

since then if a dog bigger than a mouse approaches radley he growls at them. i have started to tell owners whose dogs are off lead that i am a little wary as he has started to growl at other dogs now. strangely though, he never growls at bandit, his doggie friend who he has known since we brought radley home (bandit is without hazlenuts!)

radley is approaching 1.6 yrs old and i am now wondering if the testosterone is heavily kicking in and i need to get them hazlenuts off!

advise appriciated please xxxxxx

See less See more
#2 ·
Radley has been fine right up until now... he is... intact but i am now wondering if its time to book him in for the op.

a few weeks ago he got growled at by a Cocker... to be fair it wasnt unprovoked, radley likes to have a good old sniff... i think he overstepped the mark... & was put in his place.

a [few] days later he was on the lead & a fat little dog waddled up... & for no obvious reason,.. [snapped & growled]
at him... Radley then retaliated as one would maybe expect...

[now] if a dog bigger than a mouse approaches Radley he growls at them. i... tell owners whose dogs are off-lead
that i am a little wary [of him], as he has started to growl at other dogs now. strangely though, he never growls
at Bandit... whom he has known since we brought him home (Bandit is neutered).
Radley is approaching 1.6 yrs old ...
yes, i would.
he's not going to be bred, he's not going to be shown in the breed ring, or compete for titles.
And it isn't just his own behavior to consider: it's the reaction from other dogs, as well.

both male & female dogs react differently to intact-males, bitches because they expect to be pestered
[or even spayed females, who are often the target of unwelcome attentions], & neutered males often snappily.
intact-males of course, often get chesty & pushy with other intact-males.

i think it makes life easier, & smoothes public-relations considerably.

#3 ·
yes, i would.
he's not going to be bred, he's not going to be shown in the breed ring, or compete for titles.
And it isn't just his own behavior to consider: it's the reaction from other dogs, as well.

both male & female dogs react differently to intact-males, bitches because they expect to be pestered
[or even spayed females, who are often the target of unwelcome attentions], & neutered males often snappily.
intact-males of course, often get chesty & pushy with other intact-males.

i think it makes life easier, & smoothes public-relations considerably.
thankyou for taking the time to reply. i will book him in i think. xx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.