Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is it time for my Syrian Hamster to be put to sleep?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Zoe McDermott, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Zoe McDermott

Zoe McDermott PetForums Newbie

C7E4FD17-C8F2-4F10-B4DB-F3D7F7318636.jpeg So, 2 weeks ago I was at the emergency vets with my Syrian, Dave. Turns out he had a cold & was prescribed with 5 days of antibiotics & was given an anti-inflammatory. He started improving & it was like he became his normal self again. He had a checkup on the following Saturday & the vet was pleased to see he was doing great. However, a few days after the checkup he began to wheeze & sneeze again. So, I gave the vets a call & they extended his antibiotics for another 5 days. This time, I’ve seen no improvement at all in the poor lad. I’m suspecting that he’s getting old now as he’s 2 years old, he’s hobbling around his cage but still eating & drinking, also nibbling at the treats I give him for his immune system. Despite him eating & drinking, I feel like he’s just suffering each day. The clicking, wheezing & sneezing just isn’t getting any better for him & I don’t want to keep him here suffering as it really isn’t fair. I’ve noticed his weight is dropping & he weighed 120/130g when the vet weighed him 2 weeks ago. I know hamsters don’t live long & they age a lot faster than us, but I’m just not comfortable with him living his last however many days miserable. I’ve been keeping an eye on him & I know he’s been annoyed with the syringes in his face (which caused him to bite me hard), I’m just running out of options now, is it time for my baby to move on?

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

If he isn't improving, despite treatment, I would let him go.

It doesn't sound as though he has any quality of life.

3. Zoe McDermott

Thank you for the fast response, if he’s no better in a couple days - I’ll do what’s right for him. It’s awful to see him suffer & deteriorate so quickly

4. Zoe McDermott

F2A4F9BB-0B1A-410D-86CD-4695FE732926.jpeg Just an update.

Dave was put to sleep yesterday at 14:30. He fought hard until the very end. I wasn’t willing to have him suffer more if any new medication failed him. He’s no longer in pain & he’ll be very much missed.

Sleep tight my little pal ♥️

5. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

RIP Dave.

He looks like he was a cutey, beautiful photo.

6. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I’m so sorry you lost your hammy. RIP Dave. You did the right thing though x

7. Zoe McDermott

Thank you! This was me saying goodbye to him, a lot of tears shed but relieved he’s no longer in pain x

8. Zoe McDermott

Thank you! He’ll be missed so much. But at least he’s no longer suffering. X

9. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

Oh my love i am so sorry, it's heartbreaking when a much loved pet passes away. You did what was absolutely right by him though, as hard as it is I always feel it is the last, best thing we can do for our animals. It is a brave and unselfish act.well done for putting Daves needs before your own,that is the sign of a truly good animal owner. I know it hurts like hell now, but I hope in time you will maybe give another hamster the chance of a really good life. Sending you very best wishes.

10. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Bless you both. You did the right thing for your little one. RIP and run free xx

11. Zoe McDermott

Aw thank you so much. I’m missing him more each day but I know he’s in my heart♥️

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  12. Zoe McDermott

Thank you so much xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice