Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is it that hard to sex a small animal??????

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Mim1946, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Mim1946

Mim1946 PetForums Junior

Almost 2 weeks ago I found out that one of my Harvest Mice was a female. Luckily my daughter loved them and had the female from me. An update on that is she looks as if she may be pregnant now!!!! They were brought ffom a breeder.

I haven't had my 2 gerbils out much before but I have started having them out now for a good run in the hall and lounge. Can you believe that I had them out today and my daughter held them both and found out that they were females instead of males!!! Midge and Fudge are now called Madge and Freda!!!!! They were bought from a Pet Shop.

It isn't rocket science to tell the difference between them so why don't Pet Shop/Breeders check properly before letting someone buy them. It really doesn't bother me that they are females they are so cute anyway and getting tamer now they are being handled.

Have any of you had this happen to you?

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

With wriggly small animals it can be very hard to sex them, I had two accidental litters from my mice when I mis sexed a male :eek:, I also took on a male hamster which I discovered was a female very quickly, she gave birth a few days after I got her. Im not too bad at sexing mice and rats and hamsters are pretty obviously male but gerbils I find difficult. Have you approached the breeder and told her the mistake shes made, she should at least offer help with rehoming the babies.

3. Mim1946

Mim1946 PetForums Junior

The breeder (a man) would be happy to have them I know, but we shall be happy to keep the Harvest Mice they are just adorable and no trouble to keep.

4. emma20

emma20 PetForums VIP

is not just small animals years ago i bought 2 ginea pigs from a pet shop they said they were both female but when i got them home i found out 1 was male i think they just want to sell them and are not bothered about anything else

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice