Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Is it possible?.............

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Saynamore, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Saynamore

Saynamore Banned

I would love a long-haired small dog to live with all my cats. Is it a possibility with me working full time 5 days a week. Some weeks 6 days some weeks 4 days? Does anyone know a way of working round it? I am single and nobody else lives here???? :(:(:(

2. AJ

AJ Guest

Yeah it's possible, dogs and cats generally get on really well! We haven't had a dog stay with us yet that hasn't been ok with the cats.

3. Animal_Lover

Animal_Lover PetForums Newbie

Yes its possible, I'd advise before you leave to go to work, make sure there is food and water available and has done its business and if you can try and get someone take him/her for a walk while you're at work. And if you can come home during lunch time for a quick walk, but if you can't I wouldn't advise a dog.

4. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Firstly, cats and dogs can be the best of friends when brought up together, or introduced correctly.

I would however, strongly suggest that you refrain from having a dog if you are working full time. Dogs are pack animals and can develop all kinds of behavioural problems from being left for long periods.

I would hope that until your situation changes, you will enjoy the company of your cats, who can happily be left while you are working.

5. Helenridley

Helenridley PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

I know your situation.

We have just got our first dog, a westie called Max - he gets on brilliantly with our cats, luckily, but the cats get a free roam of the house, whilst poor old max in in the kitchen (with a baby stair gate across the door so he can see out/cats can see in). We both work, but luckily different hours, but he can be on his own for 7 hours a day on a bad week. Wish I had got two dogs! I would consider this if you really want a dog. Get two for company!
    Helen x

6. nici

nici PetForums Senior

like nina has said i would not get a dog or even 2 if i was going to be at work all day everyday as it is not fair for a dog to be stuck in all day long on its own, they will (most of the time) start looking for some thing to amuse themselves, my neighbour goes out all day and leaves her dog caged up in the house and all day i here her howling and crying its horrible,if she didnt cage her she would destroy the house, and my other neighbour has 5 small dogs she goes to work all day they get left and they have a dog door but they are constantly in and out barking and fighting all the time as they have nothing else to do with there time, please think very carefully before you get a dog just for it to sit on its own, unless you can afford a dog sitter then its a bad idea think of the dog :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice